jerky

honjyak

jerky

Post by honjyak »

does anyone have any good venison jerky recipes? i finally got a dehydrator and wanted to try making some jerky? thanks in advance.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Old Hill Country German Recipe

Deer Jerky Recipe

· Cut Meat (try to keep it thin, thin, thin and cut all fat and whatever off)
· Put meat tenderizer and seasoning salt (I like the Cajun spicy kind of seasoning salt) on meat and leave over night in the refrigerator

· Combine:
o Water (enough to cover the meat)
o ½ cup Worchester sauce
o ¼ cup vinegar
o ½ cup of brown sugar
o 1 cup of curing salt

· Marinate meat in above mixture over night in the refrigerator
· String (Only string if you are going to smoke and dry with wood)
· Dip meat on string in hot boiling water or if no string dip into boiling water for 5 min’s per batch
· Roll in coarse mixture of coarse pepper and cornmeal (I just sprinkle coarse pepper on ½ of the batch……Grandkids can’t handle the pepper)
· Smoke to desired consistency or just smoke for a couple of hours
· If you don’t smoke and dry at the same time, dry in a dehydrator to desired consistency.
wilded

Post by wilded »

The Best Jerky you ever made!
TEXAS STYLE

Cut lean strips of venison, beef, chicken or turkey. The pieces should be no more than ¾ inch thick at the most but as large as you want them. Trim off all fat as it will turn rancid as the meat dries.

Fill a large mixing bowl with water and stir in equal amounts of Brown Sugar and Salt until it starts to fall out, kind of like a glass of tea with to much sugar in it.
Stir in 1 Teaspoon of Garlic powder,
½ Teaspoon of Allspice
¼ Teaspoon of ground Cloves.

Add meat and soak in the brine for 24 hours in a refrigerator.
Remove meat from brine and rinse in cold water.
Roll or shake on coarse ground black pepper to taste.
Do not use table ground black pepper or it will have to strong a pepper taste. Remember course ground adds flavor fine ground adds heat.

Arrange meat on a smoker and slow smoke with your favorite wood keeping the heat under 180 degrees until fully smoked. I smoke mine overnight. I use very dry or seasoned mesquite with no green left in the wood.

If you do not have a smoker you can do this in your oven, just add liquid smoke to the original brine and dry on your ovens lowest setting or warm setting. Place a wood spoon in the oven door so moisture can escape and dry meat to the texture and hardness desired. You can then place jerky in a bowl in the refrigerator for up to a week to finish dehydrating. It never lasts that long at my place. Place any extra in a bag in the freezer and take out about 2 hours before you intend to eat it.

Enjoy. Ed Thomas
kottonmouth

simple and the best!

Post by kottonmouth »

ok first only use lean meat sliced about 3/8 thick then use this amount of seasons per pound of meat ! 2 tbs of black fresh course pepper and 1 ts of sodium nitrite then half ts of garlic powder and then place meat in large bowl mix together well let set for a hour or so then this works the best smoke meat in smoke box or on bar b q pit just for an hour and a half try to maintain temp at 150 to 200 no need to turn meat ,then place in your food dehydrator untill meat is some what dry but not hard like an rock! whenever you tear an strip apart you should see the grains of meat turn white and look like spider webs almost ,then you know the meat is fully cured! anything esle u need let me know o.k ! 8) 8) 8) 8)
kottonmouth

wood

Post by kottonmouth »

oak wood is the best for jerky! :D
redhead
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: wood

Post by redhead »

kottonmouth wrote:oak wood is the best for jerky! :D

PECAN
kottonmouth

the #1 wood for jerky i think is oak wood!

Post by kottonmouth »

pecan wood gives the meat a stroung nasty taste if you OVER SMOKE IT ! its mainly good for cooking with ! :x