Would anyone like to share some oyster recipes?

Bass Pro Addict

Would anyone like to share some oyster recipes?

Post by Bass Pro Addict »

Since the weather is supposed to remain cool for the weekend I was thinking its time for oyster stew. I am also going to pick up a sack or two of oysters and experiment with some on the grill recipes.
Do any of you have any suggestions for cooking oysters on the grill or pit, that you don't mind sharing?
All suggestions are welcomed and appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Bass Pro Addict
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I split open and scrape out the oysters, leaving it on the half-shell, and add parmesan cheese and cook/smoke them over a charcoal fire. To amp it up, you can add a half a boiled shrimp (sliced length-wise) before you add the cheese. Also, picante or cocktail sauce is good, either added before or after cooking. When we do them, we put the shrimp and cheese on them, cook them, then have a variety of sauces to add at the discretion of the individual.
Animal Chris
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Animal Chris »

Mix up some stuffing with bread crumbs, chopped onions, bell pepper, celery, some beaten egg to hold it together and some chopped up shrimp or white meat crab. Season to taste. Chill.

Build a fire on one side of the bbq grill, gas or charcoal. Clean off the oyster shells and put them in a pan with rock salt. Put the pan on the grill and close the lid. Cook until the shells pop open and cover the oyster with about 1 Tbsp of the stuffing. Continue cooking for an additional 10 minutes, or so. Remove from the fire and serve with sliced lemon and tabasco sauce.
Bass Pro Addict

I want to extend a big thanks to Yaklash and Animal Chris for your recipes. These went over great, only problem is now everyone wants more oysters for Super bowl Sunday.

Thank again guys.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bass Pro Addict wrote:These went over great, only problem is now everyone wants more oysters for Super bowl Sunday.

And this is a problem because....why?
Kickngringo

Post by Kickngringo »

Broiled oysters

Using a muffin pan, put 2 or 3(depending on size) oysters in each hole.

Now add
worchestershire sauce
good pad of butter
minced garlic
tabasco
lime
dash of soy
fresh or dried dill

to each muffinpan hole

broil until the oyster edges curl
enjoy w/ saltines

for left over juice, crumble crackers in the left over juice and spoon it out.

That's good eatin' boys.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

This ain't oyster stew, split them in half, carefully scape out the oyster and enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Bass Pro Addict

Mr. Yaklash the problem seemed to be that I did most of the work. Cooked up two large sacks of oysters this weekend and had more than enough help consuming them. I did have a little help cooking them but any task that required the use of more than one hand (like shucking) was all up to me due to the cold beverage occupying one of there hands. Ha Ha. We all had a great time.
One of the guys did modify your recipe slightly by adding butter and a little squeeze of lemon juice. This tasted great also but I like your recipe a little better, KIS is my motto “ keep it simple”. I sometime ruined good food by trying to add too much, but that how I learn what flavors go together.
Thanks again
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Bass Pro Addict wrote:One of the guys did modify your recipe slightly by adding butter and a little squeeze of lemon juice. Thanks again

I' not a big fan of lemon-butter combo except on white meat fish, but hey, there's no right way or wrong way. That recipe came from a place in San Leon that's sold them for years just like that (without the picante) and they are well known amongst the locals for their Oysters Gillhooley. But my affair with all kinds of smoked oysters dates back to late 1970s Trail Ride parties in Memorial Park, and they cooked them a dozen different ways there. Still have a scar on my hand from shucking duties. My Bro-in-law and his son are usually the ones left holding the shuckers in our family.
isubarui
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by isubarui »

Besides on the half shell my favorite way to eat oysters is wrapped in smoked bacon, seasoned with bbq rub and grilled hot and fast. If you can get the bacon cut for you then get it sliced thin so you are not eating bacon with a hint of oyster.