Weekend Picnic

daddykirbs
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by daddykirbs »

May 2nd at Medina Lake.... If that's what it is, then I'll run that by my wife to see if we can make it as a family.
Hulapopper

Post by Hulapopper »

Ok I am marking my calendar. Do we have a tenative time?
recurve57

Families

Post by recurve57 »

I hope this is a family affair. I too, would like to bring my wife. I also like the idea of posting a list so we know what to bring. Looking forward to seeing all.
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

The time, Very early the county park closes at 6pm
This is a real nice park for the family looking forward
in meeting with everyone. i'll be bringing sausage links among some
deer meat wieners.sodas, etc.
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

May 2nd at Medina Lake

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

Hello all...

We had a meltdown of the CPU on board ethernet chip and the Road Runner modem, along with the power supply...all due to a lightening strike very close to the house. A yellow flash and that smell!!!

Fixed a couple of neighbors problems and am back on line again.

Sounds like May 2nd at Medina is a go, and so a little planning is in order.

We need some volunteers:

1. Someone to give a heads up on the Medinal Lake facilities and costs...
2. Queyak is in charge of cooking...
3. Someone to take charge of securing a gathering place if necessary...
4. A go to person to work with Queyak as a focal point on what to bring in terms of food items. I mean if everyone brings marshmellows to eat...Doh!
5. Anyone got any horseshoe equipment...if so, you are in charge of entertainment.
6. We might as well hold a TKFSA meeting while we are there, and write it all off on taxes, eh?
7. We need a count of folks who are planning on attending.
8. Family and friends and pets and young-uns are most certainly welcome!
9. Bring your yaks!!!
10. Let's have a great time!
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

well, sounds more like a byof but if we can get things in order that will be great . admission to the park is 10.00 per carload. getting to the park early isa must. i don't know of anyone to talk too for reservations . if any one in our TKSA chapter does let us know . thanks chris flores
Queyak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Queyak »

Double posting, just in case.

Thanks for picking up where I left off Joe! I have been way to busy to do much of anything. WHY!! do I always get stuck with the cooking!!! Just kidding. It still looks good for me to be there and I will bring my grill. And will smoke a Venison ham the night before so it will be nice a ready for the picnic. It will be fun. If we could get an RSVP list it will be easier to see who can bring what and make it more of a group food thing. I know most folks will bring family, I will be, so I think everyone should bring what there kids eat but the adults can share. I only say that because my two lovely children are food spoiled and will only eat certain things, I may not be alone in that area.
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

My two kids will eat anything as long as it is chicken nuggets or cheese pizza. They had to have inherited this odd sense of eating from their mother because I'll eat anything that hasn't been on Fear Factor.
Last edited by Electric Water Boy on Sun Apr 04, 2004 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Count me in! I launch out of the county park all the time. Cost is $10/vehicle, unless you have a pass. I don't think they take reservations, so best get there early to get a couple of tables. The place gets rockin' on the weekends. Park opens at 6 or 7 AM. May close by 9 now that spring is here. Good places to launch your kayak and good fishing along the rocky shoreline up from the park.
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

Some additional information on the County Park at Medina Lake...

Here is a Cajun Celebration in September with a map of the area...
http://www.onr.com/user/trial2/cajun.htm

Map to park...zoom in to get road names etc...
http://www.mapquest.com/maps/map.adp?ovi=1&zoom=4&mapdata=BN%2fxGneotljbZI7u%2fUi53vSyK06XMI%2fpYKXy72LaUiA0eeiz%2beOwZjjU1RcExvuXAWan9gvftNm5916vFZewceRMuNlobPp8mWnrYr9uG7I%2f0z1UUm3vZCWJtZ9LRIHIQGt93XkE93A4Su5rtxA%2fj4kMJdLW2NbJ2OG5Rjl4FhgI8CbGn9IGhUlR6jZOxBGPXVNaBNZ%2bFSfgXeHmN4IUMK7HM02WSSOmMZuRQSn8G3DJCR0GqA%2bTNbuL%2fc3dOJy%2fzKY9JLN6CXvnuVl7AQlI%2frw07ynUKzTUWK0rAZK6a75XQDppcEKZYYGW7K0pEx0gxWGBbrtSg5qBbi5BtrRe9IgGRWE2%2fgICis%2fCljuHJbcccUMfA8O7iC6wT9m%2bT4NzvxmplVLFu1Q%3d

The Medinal Lake County Park (according to the website) is open 7:00AM to 9:00PM and so we should have a volunteer who lives close by commandeer a suitable site and hold it till reinforcements arrive.

TPWD information on Medina Lake...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/medina/lake_id.htm

Looks as if Access Point "B" might be a good spot, however I have never been to Medina Lake so lets hear from some of you regulars...
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/fish/infish/lakes/medina/access/index.htm

Some additional information on the creation of Medina Lake and canal system around 1910-1911...
http://www.edwardsaquifer.net/medina.html
CMALIBU1

Post by CMALIBU1 »

Hey, Kayak Angler just wanted to say,after i saw the lake that weekend. I just couldn't pass up from recommending the picnic for TKFSA this is a awesome lake and looking forward to doing some fishing with you man. And welcome aboard TKFSA.

Hey Joe G. Thanks for the websites

And if there's anything you need help with. Please let me know.
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Access point B is the county park. There is a boat ramp, but it will probably be jamming in May. The shoreline next to the ramp offers good beach launching. This lake is very scenic along with good fishing. There are a lot of coves that meander off of the main lake so you can get away from powerboat/jetski traffic. The lake holds stripers, white bass, large and smallmouth bass, sunfish, catfish, carp and gar. Aquatic vegetation is pretty much non existant so fish rocky outcroppings and points. Any brushpiles will hold lots of fish. Like wise for docks in the summer. Water clarity can be anything from crystal clear to slightly stained. Right now I can see about 6 feet deep. There is lots of remote shoreline so beaching your kayak is usually not a problem while out for a day touring/fishing.
Medina is a good spot, I've seen a few kayakers out there, not many. I'd like to see more, especially the fishing kind.
Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

Argh!!!!!! I'll be in Rockport that weekend!!! I can't believe y'all are going to be that close to Bandera and I'll miss it. I know y'all will have a great time though. Sometime this summer I'd like to have y'all to Bandera for swimming and grilling. 'course....we wouldn't be able to fish...:( Would y'all still come???
daddykirbs
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by daddykirbs »

Ok I'm IN! I got the official "go ahead" last night by my wife. I will be bringing my family and a dessert.

Is there a food list started?

I can't wait to see all the kayaks...err, I mean all you guys :oops:
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

Mercy wrote:Argh!!!!!! I'll be in Rockport that weekend!!! I can't believe y'all are going to be that close to Bandera and I'll miss it. I know y'all will have a great time though. Sometime this summer I'd like to have y'all to Bandera for swimming and grilling. 'course....we wouldn't be able to fish...:( Would y'all still come???

Stop by Sunday afternoon if you can....
recurve57

Looks like a go

Post by recurve57 »

While we probably won't arrive until near noon, my wife and I plan to be there. I plan to bring a broccoli coleslaw, and some sausages for the grill, and some drinks. If anyone has other recommendations let me know.

Mike
Joe Guilbeau
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Joe Guilbeau »

1. Kayakangler...give a report about Medinal Lake facilities and costs...
2. Queyak is in charge of cooking...everyone contact him for what to bring
3. Who has Horseshoe equipment????
4. Family/friends/pets/young-uns are most certainly welcome!
5. Bring your yaks!!!
6. Let's have a great time!
Electric Water Boy
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club
Location: In the woods using billion dollar government satellites to hunt $2 pieces of Tupperware

Post by Electric Water Boy »

I won't be there until about noon either, and I'm bringing my appetite for the casserole!
kayak angler

Post by kayak angler »

Medina Lake park facilities and costs:

The park is not real big. They do have picnic table sites under the sprawling oaks with a nice view of the lake. There are also some picnic sites along the shore, but they do not offer any shade so a portable shelter would be a necessity. The park also offers grills for use at no charge. Both freestanding and the ones that are typical for parks mounted on a post in the ground. There are restroom facilities at the top of the hill at the park entrance. The park can be entered before it opens as long as you have a boat (kayak) to launch. I have a park pass and would have no problem being among the first to get there to secure a couple of picnic spots. There is no playground, but the shoreline offers lots of swimming activity for the kids. Parking is usually not a problem. Cost as posted on the entrance sign is $10/vehicle.

I'm going out this weekend. I know most of the rangers; I'll talk to them about reserving a site and see if we can get a group discount. Can I get a headcount on who's coming? I think as of now there are about 6 TKFer's and families.
CaptAbel

Where?

Post by CaptAbel »

It would be great to meet some fellow kayakers. I hope I can make it.
CaptAbel

Where?

Post by CaptAbel »

CaptAbel

Where?

Post by CaptAbel »

Mercy
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Mercy »

I'll be in Rockport, but if it's early enough I'll swing by on my way home....:)