Need a Good Steak Marinade

big_wes

Need a Good Steak Marinade

Post by big_wes »

I'm in the mood for a good steak, but I'm tired of using the same old marinades. If anyone has a good one (or even a good dry rub) please post up. Right now, I'm probably going to go with a ribeye.
Bos

Post by Bos »

Well Big_Wes,
You've probably already had your ribeye by now (I think that's the best cut), but for the next time, here's what I often do...
Rub it down with 5-7 good shakes of Tobasco on each side, black pepper (course ground) and some garlic powder (again, each side) to taste. Let it stand till it get about room temp, then cook over a hot fire till medium rare. Let stand for a couple of minutes, and enjoy.............
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

I use a dry rub on steaks if I want something more than just the real flavor of unadulterated beef (75% of steaks I cook are unadulterated-then I salt and pepper them on my plate). I include in the dry rub, freshly ground black, white and (just a bit of) green peppercorns. Add a tiny bit of garlic powder, a tiny bit of chili powder, an even tinier bit of ground Cumin, a few sprigs of dried Rosemarry and a teensy bit of Thyme. Then I grind all of that together in a mortar & pestal, until the dried herbs are ground to dust. I then rub the steak down with a bit of olive oil, just enough to get the rub to stick well. Add the rub, set on the counter on a platter, under Saran Wrap for about an hour, then grille.

My biggest 2 issues with most people's idea of good steak preparation is the dreaded "dry meat." The use of salt in rubs and marinates and the poking of holes in the meat anytime before it hits the plate are the leading causes of dry meat. Use a spatula to turn steaks (to avoid holes) and don't use salt on the meat until it's done or, at the earliest, right before it comes off the grille.
cut bait

Post by cut bait »

A friend just turned me on to Grillmates Montreal seasoning. A coarse ground pepper, garlic & spice mix with littlle or no salt. Great for camping I put worcheshire and sometimes olive oil esp for venison then grill couldn,t be easier.

Used margaritas with a little extra orange liquor then salt pepper chili peten. Flamed the steaks with tequila when almost done. Not shure about this one as I enjoyed the marinade during the entire process.
Last edited by cut bait on Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redhead
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by redhead »

I agree on the Grillmates Montreal seasoning,best over the counter I have used in sometime and it's only a 30min marinade.1/4 cup olive oil and a couple tbl spoon of seasoning, fridgrate and before cooking let set to room temp. mmmmm mmmmmm good.
I'm hungry......
Pollo Pibil

Steak

Post by Pollo Pibil »

Try this:

Sprinkle with garlic powder;
Heavily salt steak, with sea salt. I'm talking visible flakes!
Add coarsely ground pepper;
Dust with paprika;
Wipe up excess seasonings on sides of steak;

Grill over high heat to sear; move to indirect heat to finish.

Remove from grill, cover with foil, let stand 5 minutes, then serve.
To add to the richness, add 1 pat butter per steak before covering.
Salty Bum

Post by Salty Bum »

this is the best i have ever had:

1 cup buttermilk
1 cup whiskey
1 cup italian dressing

mix them together in a bowel and put the steaks in it put lid on and shake the bowel - let the steaks stay in the mixture for at least 30 minutes - i like to leave them in there overnight and the next day and cook that night - put steaks on medium high fire 2.5 minutes on one side and 2.5 minutes on the other - serve with bake potato and salad and a nice glass of wine

HOOK 'EM HORNS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lance
<'))))))))*><
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

LML, I'll have to check that one out. Sounds goooooooood!
dhusbands

Post by dhusbands »

I like um simple,cook almost all the way on one side turning twice for nice marks then flip and douse with real butter and garlic letting flame char outside and leaving inside nice and red :D I never add salt usually the butter has enough and by only flipping once the meat seals up nice and tight and stays moist.
I'm cooking one right now :D :D
Fisherpup

Post by Fisherpup »

I'll throw another word out for the McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning.

Add a light coat of olive oil (very light). Drizzle the steaks with Red Wine Vinegar (white works in a pinch). Use a ratio of at least 2:1 Vinegar to Oil.

Then rub the Montreal seasoning into the steaks well. Let 'em marinate and warm up (never cook a steak straight out of a cold fridge) a little while the grill is heating up.

A variation is to use Cavender's Greek Seasoning or Rudy's Rub or the BBQ Rub from Cooper's in Llano in place of the Montreal.
PlanoDano

Post by PlanoDano »

Marinade for beef

About 2 cups apple cider
about 1/2 cup of soy sauce
add some minced garlic
about 2 Tbsps of Chili powder
put some black pepper
Geminiwayz

Post by Geminiwayz »

I like Daddy Hinkel's (packaged marinade) or using the seasoning mix that Salt Grass Steakhouse sells.
Texan
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Texan »

Fisherpup wrote:I'll throw another word out for the McCormick's Montreal steak seasoning.

Add a light coat of olive oil (very light). Drizzle the steaks with Red Wine Vinegar (white works in a pinch). Use a ratio of at least 2:1 Vinegar to Oil.

Then rub the Montreal seasoning into the steaks well. Let 'em marinate and warm up (never cook a steak straight out of a cold fridge) a little while the grill is heating up.

A variation is to use Cavender's Greek Seasoning or Rudy's Rub or the BBQ Rub from Cooper's in Llano in place of the Montreal.

I have not come across anyone else that uses Cavenders! That is one of my favorites for darn near everything.

I can't give up a secret because everyone says they haven't had a better steak. But it does include Cavenders, Garlic, Montreal, Worcestershire, and Italian Dressing. Well I guess I just did...
smack00

Post by smack00 »

I think the biggest secret when cooking a steak is the quality of the meat. I stay clear of the yellow packaged cuts, and go straight to the local butcher.
Chiconky

SPICE

Post by Chiconky »

I USE TEX-JOY MADE IN BEAUMONT TEXAS FOR DRY RUB OR ALLEGRO FOR A WET MARANIADE. BOTH ARE BOUGHT AT HEB
scratch

Post by scratch »

smack00 wrote:I think the biggest secret when cooking a steak is the quality of the meat. I stay clear of the yellow packaged cuts, and go straight to the local butcher.
I agree. I either buy the Natural Angus steaks from HEB, or I get steaks from Bolner's. I put Konriko's Greek Seasoning on the steaks before cooking, then put a little butter on them after I take them off the grill.