Bertani Ranch Steakhouse on Telge Rd. SUCKED

Maulwalker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Bertani Ranch Steakhouse on Telge Rd. SUCKED

Post by Maulwalker »

Last night my wife and I had a reason to celebrate, so we went out for a steak. As it turned out the Bertani Ranch Steakhouse had just opened, so we opted to go there, as we've been dying for it to open. It's less than 5 minutes from my house, and we've been eager to try it. Big mistake.

I ordered a cup of gumbo, and it was brought out cold, so I sent it back. My wife ordered the porkchop for $18, and I ordered the 12 oz. ribeye ($27). Our food took 1 1/2 hours to come out from the time we were seated. They explained that they had run out of porkchops; I don't know if that means they went to the store to buy one for my wife or what, but I was getting really pissed by the time my food finally showed up. When they brought my food out, they informed me that they had run out of potatoes au gratin and hoped I wouldn't mind getting mashed potatoes instead. 1 1/2 hours to get our food; I can't overstate how agonaizingly long this was. On top of everything, my steak wasn't really all that great. Ribeyes are my preferred steak, so I understand there's going to be fat in the meat, but this cut was over the top. I had to cut chunks and chunks of fat out, which I normally don't have to do. It certainly wasn't worth a 1 1/2 hour wait to pay $27 for a lesser steak than you can get at Salt Grass.

In their defense, it was their first day of business. Ordinarily, I wait until a place has been open for a month at least before dining there. We made an exception, and that was a huge mistake. That being said, I don't understand at all how they can run out of food on their very first day. The place wasn't overflowing at all. We got seated right away, and it never was more than 80% full at its busiest time. Also, how do you run out of potatos au gratin, but you still have mashed potatoes? That tells me they prepared all of their food ahead of time, since potatoes are potatoes and could be used for both dishes. At the prices we were paying, I would expect the food to be made fresh, not pre-fabbed, but whatever.

Also, in their defense, their managers and owners tried really hard to make things right. No fewer than 6 different people apologized to us: the owner, the owner's son, the manager, the lead chef and two women who didn't identify themselves came to apologize for our experience. Which kind of made things weirder: how did everyone in the joint know I was getting pissed but still not be able to at least get my food out in a reasonable fashion? I'm not the type to ask for a free meal; I only told the waitress (who was very nice) that I wasn't paying for that awful gumbo. The owner comped my meal without my asking and was genuinely embarrassed at our experience.

For their sincere efforts to set things right, I'll go back, but it will be quite a while, at least a month. I advise everyone else in the area to give them some time to sort things out. If you're looking to drop upwards of $100 on dinner and drinks, your money is definitely better spent at the Steamboat House on Beltway 8.

Again, the people were great, and I want them to succeed. I love a good steak dinner, and don't want any place nearby closing up shop; that certainly wouldn't be good for my neighborhood and property values.

That being said, if my experience is repeated by too many people, they'll be out of business in a hurry. Buyer beware.
ShotMagnet
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Westhiemer and Sam Houston TW; Channel 69 on VHF; "THE DUDE ABIDES" "NICE MARMOT&

Post by ShotMagnet »

Yea opening a restraunt is a rough deal for everyone involved. I wish everyone was as calm as you! I used to open OutBacks Steak houses. The only thing we ran out of was bake potatoes!
pmed8

Post by pmed8 »

thanks for the post. my wife and i were thinking about trying that place, but i think we'll wait a while and see if they can work out the problems.
smltxag

review

Post by smltxag »

Actually this place got bad reviews on the Coles Crossing board as well. Too bad, the idea seems good maybe Taste of Texas will buy it if it goes out of biz.