TPWD weighs in on "Kayak Registration"

45er

Re:

Post by 45er »

DarrellS wrote:I personally dont see anything wrong with a nominal registration fee, as long as it would not be put into the General Fund but rather used to develop and sustain interest in kayaking especially among children. They are the future of Outdoorsman.
Darrell
This!
CastawaySteve

Re: TPWD weighs in on "Kayak Registration"

Post by CastawaySteve »

In principle, fishing licenses are a good idea; they aid wildlife management and, without strict rules in place, the fish populations could eventually be destroyed.

However, charging a fee to use a kayak merely feels like double taxation. A better solution might be to combine the license fees for those who fish and kayak. This would both manage the fish populations and raise revenue for the state, without unfairly burdening kayakers.

But I agree the money needs to be spent on infrastructure to reduce the safety hazards that come with large numbers of kayaks on the water.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Or, for the green new deal folks, how about a discount on fishing licenses for those who kayak fish since they are not using gas?
impulse

Post by impulse »

shoffer wrote: Sun Mar 20, 2022 10:33 am Or, for the green new deal folks, how about a discount on fishing licenses for those who kayak fish since they are not using gas?
We're already getting a pass on registration fees if we don't use energy, even though there are enforcement and other costs related to kayakers with no electric or gas power.

I would be in favor of a discount fishing license for catch and release. It doesn't seem fair that we should have to pay the same as a meat hauler, many of whom fish almost every day and keep hundreds of pounds a year. Maybe with a few annual tags to use on any species...

Or maybe an annual limit as opposed to daily limits, with the license fee being determined by how many tags you want. That way, people pay the cost of restocking the fish they want to keep. Because, let's face it, Texas is going to have to stock more and more as the fishing population keeps increasing. And that costs money.
OTSportsmanATX

Post by OTSportsmanATX »

I'm okay with a small registration for kayaks so long as the funds go towards the state developing kayak launches and obtaining more access up and down the coast. There is alot of privately held oil land up and down the coast that could benefit from some kayak launches that could open up alot of water for us.