Third coast Vs TSS Tournaments

2manytoys

Third coast Vs TSS Tournaments

Post by 2manytoys »

Now that I've fished both tournaments, I can honestly say I really appreciate the Third coast series more! The raffle and the food make a huge difference. Not to mention the price $75.00 for 3rd coast, $75+$15+$50 for TSS. (Plus Third coast donates the proceeds)

For me, the Third coast, Trout and redfish stringer is the ticket. Largest fish (oversized fish) is what makes it fun, CPR'ing all fish is better for the environment! Even though I think all redfish made it in TSS! But, If all you can catch is dinks on that given day, there are prizes for the smallest fish as well!

The only thing TSS had over third coast, is everyone enjoyed seeing the fish. I think putting the photos on the screen as you announce the winners could fix that!

The one thing I can't decided which is better is the start! Third coast is a shotgun start, which means you have to get up earlier and drive more, on the other hand it is much more fair, by that I mean if you want to fish at a place that is farther away you pay the price both ways in third coast, in TSS you are there waiting to launch and only have to drive once on your fishing time. TSS is better in this way for the environment (less fuel) Because the tournaments move around, the idea is to fish the local waters so I would have to lean to the third coast way!

These are just a newbies somewhat bias opinion as I am a new member of Jerry B's team. So thanks again Jerry and Deb for all you do!
Last edited by 2manytoys on Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
5moreminutes
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by 5moreminutes »

About that start time on TSS I saw some people camping towards the bayside at Wilson's/Glenn's cut and figured that would be a fast way on the water if you just have to text or call in when you launch. Oh well its all good. You are right about the small fish still having a shot at getting a prize.
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

they are definitely two different types of tournaments..Jerry and Deb run a great tournament...personally I think you get more bang for your buck with their series...and I enjoy the varied venues...I didn't fish the same water twice in any venue..and most I fished water I had never seen before...I like the shotgun start..without a polygraph it's the only way to ensure everyone starts at the same time..and I like the under and oversized fish you can count..also the trout help spread everyone out..so that kayakers aren't fishing on top of each other in the same marsh for redfish only..

the TKS is growing and hopefully there will have bigger and better things in it's future..the only disappointment I had with TKS was the venues...but I'm sure IKE, facilities, and the lack of respect for muddy waters played in those decisions (the last one jk)...I just hate that I will basically be fishing the exact same water for all the TKS...except MATAGORDA...that's where we're gonna tell the men from the boys and the women from the girls...that will be the big equalizer...

They're both great tournaments and we're lucky in Texas to have both series...Jerry, Deb....Jim....Scott....all great people who spend alot of their time organizing events so we can show up and compete and have fun...
2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys »

You make some great points Vincent, and don't get me wrong I did enjoy the Texas Saltwater series, (Boats included, those guys did amazing under the conditions)
One other thing, is the park and pavilion it was held at! Is there a better place, I can't imagine one!
Hogheaven

Post by Hogheaven »

I don't see how one could compare them. Both are totally different formats.

People will fish both, or one or the other for various reasons. Different strokes 4 different folks...type thing.

Me id rather fish, measure, and string. Rather than have to add aligning the fish, waiting for it stop flopping, make sure some object is in the frame... etc.
Besides nuthin beats a live weigh in in my book.

other people will play whats better for the fish, whats a fair start.. blah, blah, and so on... A person either likes something or not. There is not one format for all. Aint gonna happen.

Both are fine Tourneys. No need to compare them. Fish what you like.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

It's difficult to compare the two series. I like them both, but the live weigh in at the TKS is a lot more exciting.

Hey Vincet, even though I fished the clear stuff for five years, I know the mud is where it's at. :wink:
Sam
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Sam »

I like Apples AND Oranges.

The point system in the Kayak Series make it easier to catch the leaders for A.O.Y. and T.O.Y., plus live weigh-in and TV exposure.

The 3rd Coast has More prizes (winnings, raffle, door etc) plus food.

We're fortunate to have both options.

just my $.02
2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys »

Hogheaven wrote:I don't see how one could compare them. Both are totally different formats.

People will fish both, or one or the other for various reasons. Different strokes 4 different folks...type thing.

Me id rather fish, measure, and string. Rather than have to add aligning the fish, waiting for it stop flopping, make sure some object is in the frame... etc.
Besides nuthin beats a live weigh in in my book.

other people will play whats better for the fish, whats a fair start.. blah, blah, and so on... A person either likes something or not. There is not one format for all. Aint gonna happen.

Both are fine Tourneys. No need to compare them. Fish what you like.
Hogheaven
You are right they are both fine tournaments, but I disagree in why not compare them, while there are differences that won't change, because they are different styles.
But if one is doing something that the majority likes or dislikes. If that changes for the better they both can benefit and become better for all and continue to grow!
As far as my opinions that I shared, and those you shared. They are great for someone on the fence that doesn't yet have one, that may want to get involved.
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

OHHHHH you girls are trying to bust my wonderful changing oil on the quick air trailer motor manna today aren't Y'all??? 8) 8) 8) 8)

Like has been said before they're apples and oranges and some like both and some just like one (I'm a orange kinda guy myself)

Let's just leave it at that huh Image
~BUCKSHOT~
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ~BUCKSHOT~ »

Although I like both tourneys, if I had to choose 1, it would be TKS. There is nothing more fun than a live weigh in, IMO.
2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys »

Sam wrote:
The point system in the Kayak Series make it easier to catch the leaders for A.O.Y. and T.O.Y.,
Sam
Based on the end of the sentence you like that, right?
My guess, that would depend on which end someone is currently sitting.:wink:
Are you saying you think it would help to adjust the point system?
~BUCKSHOT~
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by ~BUCKSHOT~ »

2manytoys wrote:
Sam wrote:
The point system in the Kayak Series make it easier to catch the leaders for A.O.Y. and T.O.Y.,
Sam
I think that the point system in the Thirdcoast is a little challenged!!
Sam
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Sam »

2manytoys wrote:
Sam wrote:
Sam
Not necessarily, I think both point systems are ok (as long as you don't blank :wink: ) 3rd Coast puts the emphasis on winning, TSS puts the emphasis on being consistent.....back to apples and oranges again :)
Tyak
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Tyak »

Both series are really growing. I like things about both of them, but the weigh in at the TRS is hard to beat. Actually seeing what folks caught and the anticipation is pretty exciting.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

I agree Ty, I do like that venue although it raises the nerve level quite a bit I think. The 3C seems more laid back, relaxed. More like traditional kayaking events. The TKS is wound up a notch or two...super sponsors, cameras and that dang microphone, lol. (not that I am complaining :))

I think it would be great though if the 3C can throw up images of the fish they are announcing in a slide show as they call off names. Possible?? I know its probably alot more work and might delay things more but it would be cool.
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

I like the variety and I like that you must deploy a different stategy and fish different waters for both. It would be nice to see the fish on TCKFS, but that would open up a whole new can of worms with all the photo forensics experts we have out there.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Gofish! wrote:It would be nice to see the fish on TCKFS, but that would open up a whole new can of worms with all the photo forensics experts we have out there.
True dat!
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

They are the same and different. Same as its competing to catch fish from a kayak, you have to catch fish, and there is strategy.
Different in that the starts are not the same. Shotgun start vs. call in. The shotgun start is easily enforced and makes us figure on how far we go. TRS has a call in start and a limit on where to go.
TRS has one fish to weigh in live, Third Coast the emphasis is on catching two different fish.
Both venues feed off each other and both are family run.
The TRS piggybacks off of the boaters and with out the boat series there would be no kayak series, thats why the locations are what they are.
I have alot of fun at both meeting friends, talking stories, and fishing.
TKFStubb
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Which is best?

Post by TKFStubb »

I like 'em BOTH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
DevilDogTx

Post by DevilDogTx »

I like them both also...Had a blast with the TKS and the weigh-ins were awesome....It was very well run and was a great environment for all kinds of fishing experience.....Can't wait until Rockport....Good luck to those who will be fishing in all three...
Redfish529

Post by Redfish529 »

I have only fished the 3C series but will give TKS a shot when I get to fish again. I like the philosophy behind the non profit 3C and the family feel. But can see how the live weigh in can be exciting!

To me it will always be about fishing with old friends and making new ones. Placing and getting a check just makes the wife happy :lol:

I say fish them both and continue to promote the great sport of kayak fishing.
LIFTING REDS

Post by LIFTING REDS »

I like'em BOTH, but the anticipation of TKS is nerve racking! thats what makes it fun. its fun to see every angler go up with thier fish and hold it up with a smile that they busted thier BUTT for!
Choupique

Post by Choupique »

Curious does anybody have the size of each.... how many contestants at each event for the last year say?
Coastal Country
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club

Post by Coastal Country »

Choupique wrote:Curious does anybody have the size of each.... how many contestants at each event for the last year say?
About the same number each last year(@ 60) this year we had around 60 people at 3C Riviera and TKS just had 95 in P.A.

We're hoping for a big turn out for Third Coast - Freeport on April 18th!!! 8)
Last edited by Coastal Country on Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Which is best?

Post by Gofish! »

TKFStubb wrote:I like 'em BOTH! :lol: :lol: :lol:
I know which one you like more this week. :D