I'm losing my patience

dockaycee
Location: Jourdanton, Heritage Redfish, Malibu Pro-Ex, and 3 X-Factors

I'm losing my patience

Post by dockaycee »

Why can't I catch any fish? I put in at Red Dot Tues afternoon and fished 'til dark with no bites. I paddled out past the island and fished the channel throwing a DOA under a popping cork and a jig with a paddle tail in various colors to no avail. Same story Wed. morning. Even paddled out to where the birds were feeding on shrimp throwing the doa again ang nada. Wed. afternoon I put in at Bluffs Landing and fished the shore and lakes around Pita, with the tide coming in and plenty of bait in the lakes and skunked again. Any help?
Kingz
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Re: I'm losing my patience

Post by Kingz »

I've been chunking a Mann's Baby Minus-1, crankbait....a lil noisy but not too much...Lotta bait right now, them things get their attention...
surfers77
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfers77 »

Sorry Bro. I got Skunked there Wednesday too.
Green Water

Post by Green Water »

Got skunked around Pita Friday afternoon. The water was jacked though. Salinity seemed really high, and the water was strangely off-color. Only managed to wrangle one 15" trout in the boat as well as a 20" skipjack, both released but neither were nearly as agressive as the fish I caught at Shamrock last weekend. The whole event felt weird. Heading out to Ingleside in the morning to see if the water's any different over there.

JB
Crazy454

Post by Crazy454 »

Green Water Custom Rods wrote:Got skunked around Pita Friday afternoon. The water was jacked though. Salinity seemed really high, and the water was strangely off-color. Only managed to wrangle one 15" trout in the boat as well as a 20" skipjack, both released but neither were nearly as agressive as the fish I caught at Shamrock last weekend. The whole event felt weird. Heading out to Ingleside in the morning to see if the water's any different over there.

JB
If you keep paddling out about 300-1000 yards past pita towards those islands the water is crystal clear, the closer you get to shore to more brown and mucky it gets.
Bluffer
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Bluffer »

Dockaycee wrote:Why can't I catch any fish? I put in at Red Dot Tues afternoon and fished 'til dark with no bites. I paddled out past the island and fished the channel throwing a DOA under a popping cork and a jig with a paddle tail in various colors to no avail. Same story Wed. morning. Even paddled out to where the birds were feeding on shrimp throwing the doa again ang nada. Wed. afternoon I put in at Bluffs Landing and fished the shore and lakes around Pita, with the tide coming in and plenty of bait in the lakes and skunked again. Any help?
head North if one area is not producing, or try at night. Different patterns,
dockaycee
Location: Jourdanton, Heritage Redfish, Malibu Pro-Ex, and 3 X-Factors

Post by dockaycee »

Thanks for the advice, I guess my delusions of granduer are a bit unrealistic. :lol: I just need a little (or a lot) more time out on the water I suppose.
PA Yakker

Post by PA Yakker »

Dockaycee wrote: I just need a little (or a lot) more time out on the water I suppose.
We all do brother, we all do! :D
osochuck
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by osochuck »

you might try doing some longer drifts, and maybe using live bait. sometimes they just want shrimp

also if the ulm has been slow then might try venturing towards the shamrock or lhl or b&r flats, oso, nueces bay etc....

good luck
jonnylaw
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jonnylaw »

I heard the same story about Pita, perhaps those backlakes flooded with the high tides we had and flushed out towards barney davis plant and Bluff landing. I heard the water was clear once you get further out towards the island.
2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys »

Dockaycee wrote:Why can't I catch any fish? I put in at Red Dot Tues afternoon and fished 'til dark with no bites. I paddled out past the island and fished the channel throwing a DOA under a popping cork and a jig with a paddle tail in various colors to no avail. Same story Wed. morning. Even paddled out to where the birds were feeding on shrimp throwing the doa again ang nada. Wed. afternoon I put in at Bluffs Landing and fished the shore and lakes around Pita, with the tide coming in and plenty of bait in the lakes and skunked again. Any help?
I need more info to try to help! What fish were you targeting? What color DOA? How long is the leader? What type popping cork (there are so many kinds and they all do differant things) How deep is the water? What color is the water? How fast were you working it? without all this and more I would be guessing, Here's how I would try to fish it.
Light gold DOA with a 20 to 22 inch leader, (deadly duo combo) throwing to the edge of the drop off (next to a canal) poping it semi light about every 4 to 5 seconds (for trout). If this still isn't working I would slow crawl it across the bottom. Believe it or not there is a feel to the poping action, if it works once repeat the same pattern! Everyone is differant, this is the way I have found works best for me anyway!
2manytoys