1. Simple
87%
2. Not so Simple
13%

Total votes: 75

robrd

Keeping it Simple?

Post by robrd »

Now that I am finally finished with graduate school I will have more time to learn new tricks on here, and have more time on the water. :D

I wanted to see how many of you guys keep it simple?
And I mean simple. No leaders, no red beads, no nothing...
Hook... bait... and lets fish?

I usually use 12# test on my spinning reel. Just a hook and some plastic bait, TTF and Bass Assassin usually.
Fishing on Laguna Madre or Packery Channel Flats in CC.

Robert
Nueces Bay
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Keeping it Simple?

Post by Nueces Bay »

I keep it simple but I do use 2 foot mono leader on the braid.
Shamrock kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Shamrock kid »

Same hear I keep it simple but tie on two to three foot of mono then the hook, jig head what ever.
Diesel57

Post by Diesel57 »

Simple i just tie my line double. All that gear just gets in the way and to expensive for me. I carry a milk crate in my tool box that has plastic bags with some soft plastics and topwaters and my wading boots basically all my gear in one box. Most of the gear is to just catch the fisherman not the fish haha.
rodman

Post by rodman »

Simple and yaking are made for each other. When fishing I carry a milk crate, h20, wading net/gear. I carry 6 colors of plastics, 3 of each color. I have them in a 5" x 3" plastic case I carry on a biner, and 2 rods. Cleanup when I get home ~ 5 minutes. Gotta love yaking for simplicity.

Rodman
Mudman

Post by Mudman »

So simple that I normally don't even carry a crate very often now, just a small ice chest. Tackle carried in small Plano plastic boxes in my seat pouch. Dry bag with safety gear under neath my rod pod hatch. Two fishing rods in rod holders attached to my seat and steak out stick. PFD with waterproof Marine Radio and cell phone in water proof cell phone bag.
barditch
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by barditch »

:shock: I thought that I was simple, but...maybe not...that's how I voted! I carry 3 rods: One top waters; one plastics; one redfish magic(spinner w/jig head and plastic, usually a Brown"s Pink...what can I say, I'm a redfish slut! There is no hope, and I ain't going to no meetings!) :D
FishingSETX
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by FishingSETX »

Usually two rods, a worm bag, a couple bottles of water, a smal plastic box of hooks/baits (4X6). and thats it. Out of the worm bag, I guess I might use 3 different baits. In the plastic box I usually have a corky, a baby 1- and a spook jr along with some jig heads and some flutter hooks. makes loading and unloading really simple as all of it is in the yak when I arrive.

Edit: Right now one rod has braid, the other mono. Direct tie. Never found much of a need for leader on inshore species. Now if I go BTB or surf, then I'll have a 3' steel leader to deal with the more toothy critters. In the last 12 months and probably 150+ reds, 50+ flounder, and 10+ specks, I may have had 3-5 break offs usually due to me not checking for oyster nicks or getting wrapped while fighting a fish.
Last edited by FishingSETX on Sat Aug 15, 2009 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
cobra strike

Post by cobra strike »

I always have a mono shock leader of about 18" with a barrell swivel connection from the braid to mono, and usually have a single quick clip on the bait/lure side. I can usually get away with this for almost anything.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Straight 14 pound test mono line tied to my hook or straight to the jighead. The only exception is when I target spanish mackerel and then I use a small piece of wire leader.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

10# leader small 12# tippet no crate small ice chest one rod
capt carl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by capt carl »

most of the timei take 2 packs of jig heads 3 packs of different plastics and 3 rods no box.I tie jig to line and fish.i fish bass assins ans flats minnows
4x4kayak2112
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by 4x4kayak2112 »

i use: PPro to my Flourcarbon leader, then whatever im using
knee_deep

Post by knee_deep »

Wading belt, two colors of plastics, Mardi Gras, Pumpkin Chartruese, 1/16th, 1/8th 1/4 oz pack each. Net, Stick-it, and two rods, water, protein bars. Braided line no leaders, sun block, lens wipes for glasses, wet wipes for other. Fun stuff.