Ceramic Bearings??

knee_deep

Ceramic Bearings??

Post by knee_deep »

Ceramic Bearings are something I want to give a try. I have All Shimano Reels and was wondering if anyone here uses them, and if so- where to purchase them. I suppose a Ceramic Bearings in the correct size is really what I'm after. I live in Victoria, and am not sure if they have them anywhere in town. Any info on this would be welcome, thanks in advance.
Sidney
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Ceramic Bearings??

Post by Paddlefoot »

I put some in my Calcutta a few weeks ago. It seemed like the thing to do at the time. Fairly pricey and I'm not realizing that much difference. I picked them up at Academy. Your mileage may vary.
jonnylaw
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jonnylaw »

If you're in Victoria, go by the Tackle Box........I'm sure they'll give you an earful about ceramic bearings. Ha.
fishingdrone

Post by fishingdrone »

VXB is a great source of bearings, too: http://www.vxb.com/page/bearings/PROD/Kit7300" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

!c
CC Bug Man

Post by CC Bug Man »

If you run your reel wide open (no mags - all brakes off - spool tension no tighter than removing side play), and you feel the need for more speed, you might be a canidate for better bearings. If you don"t run your reel wide open, ceramic bearings will not magically make you a more skilled caster.

I would suggest that you clean your reel good and lube the spool bearings with a thin lube. Hot sauce, Reel X, and others can make a big difference without buying expensive parts that might do you no good. If you have bad bearings, it might make sense to go up one grade - but not necessarily to the best and most expensive part just so you can say that you have them (Buddy Braggin). For example, a level wind bearing kit will do an ambassador round reel more good than ceramic bearings. But the Buddy Braggin quotient is much lower on a conversion kit than it is on ceramic bearings.

I guess my advice is to service your own reels and make sure they are the best that they can be before you buy upgraded, expensive bearings.

Bill
broke

Post by broke »

I bought some ceramics from Boca Bearing around the beginning of the year. They replaced the stock bearings in my old curado sf. While they were a great improvement over my worn out old bearings, I don't think that it would be worth the cost to replace the bearings in a brand new Shimano.

The main difference I noted between the stock and the ceramic bearings was ease of casting. It took less effort to cast the same distance w/ the ceramics. Casting distance may have been greater w/the ceramics, but not really enough to notice. The ceramics were also a little noisier than the stock bearings.
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

broke wrote:The ceramics were also a little noisier than the stock bearings.
I noticed that also, but thought maybe it was something else that I need to replace! :shock: :lol:
h_10

Post by h_10 »

i had 2 sets of the boca ceramic hybrid bearings in my curado 100dsv reels. you do get increased distance from casts. people on internet boards report 15-25% increase. I would tend to agree with the this.

however, the biggest benefit was the start up. the ceramic bearings took less to start up which meant casting lighter lures was much much easier and more efficient. i normally fish with 1/16 or 1/8 jig heads so this was a huge benefit. you don't have to sling your rod that hard on casts which means you have less backlash.

now the bad. i live in austin. i had both sets rust on me in the time that it took to drive home from POC. the ceramic balls didn't rust but the races did which basically has the same result. the bearings are hosed.

i don't know if the stainless steel used on the races were of inferior quaility or the fact that with higher abec or ceramic bearings you have to use lighter oil (i used hot sauce) which means that oil disperses easier out of the bearing leaving the insides more susecptible to rusting. either way, i wasn't happy.

so what i learned is this. ceramics and higher abec bearings are definitely worth it, but i wouldn't use them again in the salt as the chance for rust is too great. i guess you can use them and use stock shimano oil, but that sorta defeats the purpose of having better bearings.

what i do now is soak my stock shimano s-arb bearings overnight in paint thinner or acetone. i blow air into the bearings to completely remove the cleanser. then put one drop of shimano oil in the bearings. the results are pretty amazing if you do this regularly. i find that it's not quite comparable to ceramic bearings but it definitely has noticeable benefits. casting lighter lures is easy and i get about 10% increase in distance.

but it's up to you. maybe you'll have better luck w/ your ceramics.
buddyatplay

Post by buddyatplay »

h_10's experience is a clue that more thought might preceed purchasing "ceramic" bearings. Most ceramics are actually hybrids, with ceramic balls and steel races. Some more expensive ones might have inner races of ceramic, but I have rarely seen them. Since ceramic bearings are usually equated with more demanding applications requiring high speed, high temperature or long life, the races are usually NOT made of stainless steel, but rather a high carbon alloyed steel like 52100 or M50 or such. Hence, most hybrid bearings may not be good candidates to replace stainless steel bearings with good corrosion resistance unless they are well sealed. If you are purchasing some with expectation they will last in salt water, you should ask about the materials of all the parts.
Good Luck,
knee_deep

Post by knee_deep »

Great feed back from everyone. I do always tear down my reels completely, and I mean cpmpletely. I clean oil and grease whats needs what, them slap them back together. I'm not having any trouble with anything about my reels, I just want to give em a try. Curiousity is mostly the reason. Again, thanks to everyone about the feed back.