Sad fish kill

Kayak Kid
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Sad fish kill

Post by Kayak Kid »

The bride and I are flying to Ft. Meyers tomorrow morning for a week's visit with my sister and bro in law.
I had planned on chaseing down some snook, but my sister has suggested that I leave my fly rods at home.

It seems that the freeze has killed a large number of fish, including some big snook and that fishing is going to be very slow. It is her understanding that the Florida Game Authority is going to put a ban on snook fishing until they can determine just how extensive the kill was.

I hope this won't effect the up coming kayak fishing tournament on MOTHER'S DAY. (An unwise decision to have the event on that auspicious date. Between wife and daughters, I've got too many mothers around to abandon on a kayak fishing trip.......darn).
FISH4EVER
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: Sad fish kill

Post by FISH4EVER »

Yeah that is really bad I even seen that the FWC is going to keep a closure on Snook well into..Sept, I got some buddies that live there and they sent some pics of tarpon kills also....Steve
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

thats bad news, my inlaws have a place in Estero,FL and I fish that area once a year
C-Schlump

Post by C-Schlump »

Check out Drudge.com. There's an article there about the fish kill in Florida that is really heartbreaking.
(Don't know how to link articles.)
ragincajun

Post by ragincajun »

There has been a fish kill here with the cold weather but the FWC has only extended the closed snook, bone fish, and tarpon season until September 30. This means you are not allowed to possess them. I have not been out but chatter is that the Reds and Trouts can be found with abundance since they can deal with the cold water better than snook.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

link on Drudge of the fish kill.
http://www.miamiherald.com/573/story/1432724.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lurejunkee
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lurejunkee »

man that sux!
MRSRIDE
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by MRSRIDE »

At least there will be some balance with the invasive species getting hit too, a little bright on an ugly situation.