Installing a wood casement into a plastic hull

OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Installing a wood casement into a plastic hull

Post by OrangeQuest »

I have been using an umbrella on my kayak to cruise with the wind a few years now. After seeing a video of a guy sailing a homemade sail in his Hobie kayak I thought it's time for me to start sailing back in to the wind. I am going to build a centerboard for my Quest and I was wondering if any of you builder have tried sealing wood against plastic hull and it hold up to years of flexing. When I cut my hull for the centerboard I was going the sandwich it with SS bolts and a polyurethane glue that has held my transducer in place for 4 years now. This will be my first below water line puncture. I was also going to fiberglass resin the wood for water proofing and durability. Any advice will make me wiser on these matters.
JEM

Re: Installing a wood casement into a plastic hull

Post by JEM »

http://www.westsystem.com/ss/g-flex-epoxy/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It makes some bold claims. I haven't heard anything for or against it.
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

Gluing to polyethylene (reliably) is difficult. I would think that sealing rather than gluing would be the way to go. That would mean you would need the ss bolts or rivets to actually hold it on with something like silicone sealant/adhesive for the sealant. Have you considered a centerboard that doesn't penetrate the hull?...one that extends downward from either side of the boat? Another consideration might be an outrigger, or ama.
I'm sure someone else will have some other ideas. I weld plastic at work sometimes, but wood (composite) is what I do at home...
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Yes Gerald I have considered other methods of installing lee boards/out rigging and I would like to loosen a line and put up a mast/sail and off I go. I still want to fish and don't like the idea of other things hanging over my sides.

I was thinking a wooden flange on the casement and an aluminum strip on the outside with the bolts countersunk for smoothness. Maybe something like goop for the sealant/adhesive. I was also going to secure the top of the casement to the bottom of my deck. I am concerned the flexing of the hull would cause the "seal" to give over time.

Jem-That epoxy looks VERY promising! Looks like I wouldn't need the bolts. I would be afraid I would glue myself to the boat and not get up! :D

While I was a work last night I was thinking maybe I should do this first to my SINK kayak (cheap little pelican from Academy) but the hull is v shaped and curved unlike my Hobie that is flat.

Thanks for the advice guys, if you think of anything else please post up.

Ken