A fish picture

lamar

A fish picture

Post by lamar »

Went fishing Monday - what a beautiful day . Caught these 4 trout . Weather went bad on Tuesday so we carried the fish to Pier 19 with some friends and they cooked us up a really nice meal . I don't know what they use as a fish fry batter but its really good .

Troutless
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: A fish picture

Post by Troutless »

Nice mess of Trout. WTG. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Thinwater skinner
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Thinwater skinner »

Nice fish and the smile on your face says it all....
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Nice catch.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

lamar wrote: I don't know what they use as a fish fry batter but its really good .
Either cracker or corn meal, my bet would be cracker meal. For frying fish yourself, buy a box of saltines (salted) and crush them down to the consistancy of corn meal, add some salt and pepper, maybe a little cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning, dredge fillets in flour, dip in egg and toss around in a bag of the cracker meal. Fry until golden brown. Best fried fish ever. I use salt pepper and a dash of garlic salt most time.

Nice looking trout.
Zebco
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Zebco »

Great fish & sounds like some mighty good eatin'!!!

Nothing like fresh speckled trout!
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Nice. Lower coast trout? They seem to have that super-spotted look that trout up here don't have.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

Yaklash wrote:
lamar wrote: I don't know what they use as a fish fry batter but its really good .
Either cracker or corn meal, my bet would be cracker meal. For frying fish yourself, buy a box of saltines (salted) and crush them down to the consistancy of corn meal, add some salt and pepper, maybe a little cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning, dredge fillets in flour, dip in egg and toss around in a bag of the cracker meal. Fry until golden brown. Best fried fish ever. I use salt pepper and a dash of garlic salt most time.

I have been using tempura mix to fry my fish. WAY better than regular bread crumbs or fish fry mix. It is kind of bland, however, so I recommend some spices in batter. I like to cut the fillets in strips, soak in a mixture of butter and lemon juice, dunk in flour, then dunk in tempura batter mix and fry in peanut oil.
Night Wing
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Night Wing »

Yaklash wrote:For frying fish yourself, buy a box of saltines (salted) and crush them down to the consistancy of corn meal, add some salt and pepper, maybe a little cayenne pepper or cajun seasoning, dredge fillets in flour, dip in egg and toss around in a bag of the cracker meal. Fry until golden brown. Best fried fish ever. I use salt pepper and a dash of garlic salt most time.
Thanks for the tip. I'll have to try this since my wife always uses corn meal.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

shoffer wrote: I have been using tempura mix to fry my fish. WAY better than regular bread crumbs or fish fry mix. It is kind of bland, however, so I recommend some spices in batter. I like to cut the fillets in strips, soak in a mixture of butter and lemon juice, dunk in flour, then dunk in tempura batter mix and fry in peanut oil.
I am not a fan of tempura and I never mentioned, nor have I ever heard of bread crumbs for frying fish. I have seen bread crumbs used on top of baked fillets at Luby's, but not a big fan of that either. By a long shot, in my opinion, cracker meal makes the best fish or shrimp fry. Oysters are another matter - I go with corn meal with about 10% flour mixed in.
Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

Yaklash wrote:

Nice looking trout.
Get a box of Onion Ring Batter, add the water like it sez, spice it up like the above reference, and you'll get a batter like they make at Capt. D's or Long John Silver. Super crunchy.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

Yaklash is right about the breading - either crackers in a blender or corn meal
and hit it with some Tony's to pump up the spice

but what you all left out
the only thing to fry fish in is fresh LARD (chicken too)
didn't any of you pay attention when your grandmother was frying food ??
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I use either crushed saltines or Panko bread crumbs.
lamar

Post by lamar »

Thanks for all the info. The crushed crackers sounds good. I have heard of using the Panco before
but coun't find it in the stores.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

Milkjug wrote:Nice. Lower coast trout? They seem to have that super-spotted look that trout up here don't have.
Good observation! I'd be curious to hear the answer.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

lamar wrote:Thanks for all the info. The crushed crackers sounds good. I have heard of using the Panco before
but coun't find it in the stores.
I have to get the Panko on the Asian isle at my grocery store.