Towing a kayak behind a boat?

figmo

Towing a kayak behind a boat?

Post by figmo »

I have a fishing trip planned for the end of April for Matagorda. I'm fishing with my BIL and he has a 16 ft bay boat. We usually anchor and wade fish. But seeing as I have a brand new kayak and I want all the experience I get get fishing from it, I was wondering if it makes sense to tow behind the boat and then when we stop I can jump in the kayak so I can cover more ground and get some experience in the saltwater. We will be strictly fishing east Matagorda. Will the kayak tow ok? Should I install a cleat on the bow to tow it? Anything else I should be concerned about?
jlai92

Re: Towing a kayak behind a boat?

Post by jlai92 »

it would be better to just throw the yak in the boat. if not if you tow it its gonna be flying in the air if you plane. and flopping everywhere.
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

What Jlai said, unless he stays at a nice slow speed, you're more likely to tear up the yak than anything else. Only way I see this reasonably working is if it is a bigger, heavier yak like the Pro Angler, but i would be hesitant to let anyone tow it considering what they cost.
Milkjug
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Milkjug »

Be sure to go for a ride in it while it is towed, very cool to see the water shooting up out of the scuppers. :mrgreen:
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Post by RedWolf »

Milkjug wrote:Be sure to go for a ride in it while it is towed, very cool to see the water shooting up out of the scuppers. :mrgreen:
LMAO! Not so cool if your sitting on one! Scupper enema!
Backlasher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Backlasher »

In my limited experience, we(PACK) daisy chained several yaks together and pulled them with a boat. My boat sank and we pulled the front carry handle off a Scupper Pro. I don't think yaks were meant to be pulled and would advise you to either carry the yak on the boat or just fish from the boat.
figmo

Post by figmo »

Thanks, I was afraid that might be the case. I don't think it will be practical to carry on the boat. It only 16 ft and the kayak is 14 plus three guys, tackle, etc. We'll be there for 4 days so I'll probably just take a few short solo trips and leave it at camp when on the boat. I have a toy hauler we're staying in so I can lock it up in that when we are gone. I appreciate the sage advice!
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

Backlasher wrote: we(PACK) daisy chained several yaks together
You must be into electronics. Daisy chaining is one of the top subjects in electronics class at school.

I have had my kayak towed behind a boat several times and I have always had to keep my paddle in the water to keep the kayak straight. Also, don't let it get sideways on you (or if you do let go of the rope) because you will get flipped.
pershing

Post by pershing »

I remember one guy pulling a tandem kayak behind their boat. He had the smart idea of tiying through the scupper holes. And then had the even better idea of punching the boat with the kayak behind him. That rope cut through the kayak like a hot knife through butter. Kayak was ruined. I say either have your buddies take yaks with you or all go in the boat. If you feel comfortable leaving your yak at camp could work but from experience you will probably be all together. So its probably not going to see a lot of action. Just my 2 cents.
jlai92

Post by jlai92 »

you have the option of putiig it tightly halfway on the boat in the back ? i tow my yak on my jet ski and i just tie it as close as it can get to the hull and i can fly across the wate only when its smooth though. i have towed my friend in the yak before while he was in it and it looked like the surfango ! just half of it was out of the water and plane-ing. 16ft thats alot to work with you could throw it off to the side of the boat and tie it like crazy it. that if you didnt wanna do a solo trip.
figmo

Post by figmo »

I could probably get it at least partially on the boat, but it's sounding more like it will be more of a PITA then it's worth. Actually, I'm thinking I could launch and be fishing quicker then they could in the boat. I may just have them meet up with me one of the days.
ADJfishin

Post by ADJfishin »

i have a canoe with a 5 on it and i towed my buddy behind it when he was on his yak. it only goes 10 mph but he did fine. i fairly certain he even took a nap and i cut across some wakes to just mess with him and he was fine. REMEMBER: i was only going 10 mph so if you're going 35 in a bay boat it might be a little different. if i was you tho, i would give it a shot.

Austen
alex6528

Post by alex6528 »

Milkjug wrote:Be sure to go for a ride in it while it is towed, very cool to see the water shooting up out of the scuppers. :mrgreen:

this explains why your front handle on your yak fell off and cracked, then the back after you started using it once the front was gone :shock:
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

figmo wrote:I have a fishing trip planned for the end of April for Matagorda. I'm fishing with my BIL and he has a 16 ft bay boat. We usually anchor and wade fish. But seeing as I have a brand new kayak and I want all the experience I get get fishing from it, I was wondering if it makes sense to tow behind the boat and then when we stop I can jump in the kayak so I can cover more ground and get some experience in the saltwater. We will be strictly fishing east Matagorda. Will the kayak tow ok? Should I install a cleat on the bow to tow it? Anything else I should be concerned about?

What days are you guys planning on going? I am thinking I am going to try and go 4/27-4/29 or 4/30 if the weather is good and the fishing decent. I will be staying most likely at the LCRA park. I live in Round Rock and I am working a temporary summer job at Dell Diamond. I work 8 days beginning the 7th then Easter week with alot of stuff going on at the church, then another 4 days a the diamond so the 27th is the day I can cut loose.
Cadiyak Sam
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Central Texas, Galveston// Manta Ray 11// Jackson CUDA// Team Turtle Head

Post by Cadiyak Sam »

texan4ut wrote:
figmo wrote:I have a fishing trip planned for the end of April for Matagorda. I'm fishing with my BIL and he has a 16 ft bay boat. We usually anchor and wade fish. But seeing as I have a brand new kayak and I want all the experience I get get fishing from it, I was wondering if it makes sense to tow behind the boat and then when we stop I can jump in the kayak so I can cover more ground and get some experience in the saltwater. We will be strictly fishing east Matagorda. Will the kayak tow ok? Should I install a cleat on the bow to tow it? Anything else I should be concerned about?

What days are you guys planning on going? I am thinking I am going to try and go 4/27-4/29 or 4/30 if the weather is good and the fishing decent. I will be staying most likely at the LCRA park. I live in Round Rock and I am working a temporary summer job at Dell Diamond. I work 8 days beginning the 7th then Easter week with alot of stuff going on at the church, then another 4 days a the diamond so the 27th is the day I can cut loose.
Hey man, I would like to head to Matagorda pretty soon here. I live in Austin so we could caravan down there. I think my roommate and I are going down there within the next month. I'll let you know.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

DeadRiverRat wrote:
texan4ut wrote:

Hey man, I would like to head to Matagorda pretty soon here. I live in Austin so we could caravan down there. I think my roommate and I are going down there within the next month. I'll let you know.
DRR/Figmo either one send me a pm if you want. Might make for some good times, good fishing and chance to meet some new fishing buddies.
figmo

Post by figmo »

I'll be in the LCRA RV park. I'll be there the 4/28-5/2. Hoping for nice weather, but I'm going regardless.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Thats when BB said "If you tow a kayak it will go faster then paddling".......until it sinks

Best bet on 16ft would be to get some J-style holders and place the yak on its side in the J-holder on one side of the boat.....otherwise leave it at home & enjoy your wade! 8)
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by BigGabe63 »

I have never done it nor have I seen it done but if you do decide to try it make sure you get a piece of pvc pipe and put your tow rope through it then somehow maybe with a know keep the pvc to where it is closet to where you are hooked up to the boat. THis will keep the tow rope from getting caught up into the engine prop.
Jimmyhorn

Post by Jimmyhorn »

SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Welcome to the forum! FYI this is a 10 year old thread.