BBW River Ranger 14 build

tbone56

BBW River Ranger 14 build

Post by tbone56 »

Well, after lurking here for months, I finally decided to go for it.

I got the plans for the River Ranger 14 from Gerald on 8/4/2011 and ordered my epoxy.

I found a source for some Okume plywood in Dallas.... Sort of.
He had some Okume, but I didn't realize that he only had 6mm, not 4mm.
I went ahead and got the 6mm because it was at a pretty good price.
The surface didn't look quite as good as what I was expecting, but since this is my first attempt at this sort of thing, I felt like I would just paint it anyway. I ordered some graphite for the bottom as well.

I reckon this boat will be a tad heavy, but again, at the end, anything floating will be a success for me!

Here is the wood:

Here are the Epoxy supplies:

First problem...
I glued and taped the 2 panels together in a butt joint on the ground. When it was cured, I saw that the 2 panels were not flush with each other throughout the length of the joint. I thought it looked pretty bad, so I attempted to repair the bad areas by breaking the bond at that location and then re-glue.

That didn't work too well. I ended up breaking the whole joint.

Back to the drawing board. I scraped the glass smooth with my new carbon blade scraper. Man, that thing works wonders!! I love it. Makes quick work of scraping.

So, my second attempt, I decided to use the strongback that I built with a little support board in the middle covered with plastic. This worked a lot better.

I don't have a picture of the all the parts cut out, but I did get it all cut out.

Now, I am ready to finish up the stitching. I still need to stitch up the bulkheads.

I feel kind of obligated to post this here because it is because of all of the other users sharing their lessons and successes here that led me to this point. So, I appreciate everyone sharing their work like that.

Thank you.

Here is where I am at now:
and
and
TexaRican
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: BBW River Ranger 14 build

Post by TexaRican »

Dang, that's a nice strongback. You must not be new to this game?

Built my first 3 panel from 6mm and it came out at 75lbs but that one was almost 16' long. So you can probably still make this boat manageable.
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Thanks TexaRican.

Well, I am brand new to this, and I saw Gerald had posted his strongback, so I basically copied it.
I changed the dimensions and put wheels on it. I need the wheels cause I have to move the boat in and out of the garage.

I thought that building the strongback would kind of get me started. It's way overkill for this build though.
generalnotes

Post by generalnotes »

That is looking very nice! Thanks for posting and telling about your mistakes as well as your sucesses! :wink:
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

It may be a little heavier than you want but a good safe boat that is a little heavier is much better than one to light.
A lot of plastic boats are i the 60 to 80 lb class.
Good looking job
Ron
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Thanks for the comments! Really appreciate them.

Here is an update.
Saturday I did the partial filets on the inside and the bow and stern.
Took all the wires off and Sunday I finished the filets on the inside and the bow and stern tonight.

Here is a random picture of the front of boat wired together.

Here I laid some tape down before doing the filets.

Here is the partial filet.

Here I am doing the filets in the stern

Here is how it came out

Anyway, if all goes well, I'll have some glass on it for the next update.
bowgarguide
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by bowgarguide »

Looking good :clap:
Ron
gerald
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by gerald »

You're doing a fine job. 6mm okoume plywood is fine. I've just started a new "old Blue" and I'm using 6mm for it. I've noticed your strongback before. It works fine for S&G, but it's actually the type of strongback you'd use for a strip built boat. So--now you're all ready to do a fine strip built boat as soon as this one is done!
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Thanks guys!

I don't know about a stripper yet. While I do make rip cuts on my radial arm saw, I really am not very comfortable doing them. Seems dangerous to me, and I really don't think I have the saw set exactly plumb.

I think I see a table saw in my future! :)
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

tbone56 wrote:Thanks guys!

I don't know about a stripper yet. While I do make rip cuts on my radial arm saw, I really am not very comfortable doing them. Seems dangerous to me, and I really don't think I have the saw set exactly plumb.

I think I see a table saw in my future! :)
Never tried it... the blade would have a tendency to raise the pc. up.... instead of down like a table saw....Been doing cabinets etc. for 30 yrs and still don't think I want to try that...you need a hold down to begin with, something that would keep the wood being riped, down flat on the table..not you're hand like cross cutting off....
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

awoodman wrote:
Never tried it... the blade would have a tendency to raise the pc. up.... instead of down like a table saw....Been doing cabinets etc. for 30 yrs and still don't think I want to try that...you need a hold down to begin with, something that would keep the wood being riped, down flat on the table..not you're hand like cross cutting off....
Radial Arm saws are great for dados and notching and half laps, but I think the table saw is much better suited to ripping.

I have a tendency to overlook some things when I am focusing on something else (like where to cut). First time I did some ripping on the RAS, I fed it the wrong way. Luckily, there was nothing behind the saw as the piece flew across the garage at an amazing speed!! :oops:
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Well, got some glass on the inside. Learned a lot of stuff doing this.
Takes a lot of patience. Well, the way I do it, it takes patience. :wink:

I started out making too big of a batch... Wait, backup a minute.... I ordered 3:1 epoxy instead of 2:1. My garage is on the west side and it is 105 every day when I get home. So, as you can imagine, my working window is not very big. This is not ideal for a beginner!

Back to the narrative... I made a large batch to start off with. I guess it looked like I had a lot to do.
Anyway, it was very slow going. I was using a paint brush to wet the glass out. After about 5 - 10 minutes, I notice my brush sticking in the epoxy... Then I see the smoke as the epoxy is hardening rapidly!

Uh oh...

Well, threw the brush away, and decided to use the squeegees. Mixed a smaller batch and just poured it in the boat...
The squeegees worked pretty good I thought I was doing okay, but the dadgum fiberglass kept moving around.

I didn't want to take the chance on doing the whole inside and screwing it up, so I decided to stop where I was at to get some insight before going further.

Well, that too was a mistake.

As you will see in the pictures, the next day, I had hardened glass that I couldn't do anything with, and now they are bubbles that I will have to deal with.

However, the rest of the work went okay tonight. I guess for the first time I've ever done it, it will be okay. Of course, if I was an optimist or a manager at my work, I would look at this as lots of opportunities to learn how to fix or repair the fiberglass. :wink:

Here is a picture of where I started and stopped yesterday:

Bubbles along the top edge

Here is the other end that I finished tonight:

Here you can see the bubbles where I stopped and then started

Here is a better view:

Anyway, I would certainly suggest to anyone doing this for the first time to mix small batches, pour it out, then use a squeegee to spread it out and wet the glass. It certainly is better than using a brush except in the tight areas at the bow and stern.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

there's no substitute for experience,came out pretty good in the end and those bubbles can be easily fixed those on the top edge will be covered by the inwales anyway. When you get to glassing outer hull (easier) try using a short nap 4''/6'' roller,just pour and roll the bottom,and maybe use a plastic disposable plate for the resin on the sides then finish with the squeegee.

MM
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Update:
I repaired the bubbles by scraping them off and then applying some glass patches over them. Came out pretty good.

Put a fill coat on the inside. May be a little too thick.

Put in the bulkheads.

Phishtech
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Phishtech »

I prefer the USComp. 3:1 over the 2:1. But in these temps I keep all epoxy and wood flour, etc. inside the house to keep the temp down. Before I use it in the hot garage, I take it out and put it in the freezer to lower the temp even more, maybe for 20 to 30 minutes then use it. Try putting your resin on with the 4" foam rollers. Start in the middle and work towards the sides. If you need tips from us old geezers, always ask here before you take a chance and mess up your beautiful boat. BTW, you're doing a great job. Let us know how she handles.
Light Keeper's Kid
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Stuck in the Middle, Wadefish 15' -Heritage 9.5 Angler (OlllllO)

Post by Light Keeper's Kid »

Great Workmanship :wink:

Mike
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Thanks for the compliment LKK!
Thanks for the tip.
I moved my epoxy to the house.
Finished the fillets on the outside and I am gonna hit it first thing in the morning to avoid the higher temps.

Can you put the first fill coat on before the wet coat fully dries?
Or should it be good and dry before applying a fill?

Thanks again.
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

I have been re coating after the tackiness goes away..
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Got some glass on the bottom today.

I had a couple of problems. First was trying to figure out how to handle the bow and stern.
I ended up cutting the glass near the end, and wrapping one side around the end of the boat and underneath the other side. Then I brought the other side around over the top of the first piece. It gives me 2 layers of glass on the end.
You can see the end of the cut where the bow meets the bottom.

Here you can see the overlap.

The other problem I had was a little too much glass to lay flat on the side. To solve this, I ended up cutting a slit in the glass and overlapped the pieces.
Here is the side where I did that:

Still trying to get a handle on working with the fiberglass.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

looks dam good to me just get a couple of fill coats on now beforefeathering those edges, going to be ok.

MM
tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

makenmend wrote:looks dam good to me just get a couple of fill coats on now beforefeathering those edges, going to be ok.

MM
Thank you Makenmend, but why shouldn't I feather those edges out before a fill coat?
awoodman

Post by awoodman »

tbone56 wrote:
makenmend wrote:looks dam good to me just get a couple of fill coats on now beforefeathering those edges, going to be ok.

MM
Thank you Makenmend, but why shouldn't I feather those edges out before a fill coat?
You don't want to expose, or sand through the cloth..This way you are sanding down (feathering) the resin ..
Dogpaddlin

Post by Dogpaddlin »

MM
I am with MM, except I would only do one fill coat to protect the cloth around that area and then get you a scraper and run it down the edge. You want to make sure the cloth is protected but you also don't want to have to do a bunch of extra sanding trying to fair it. It sounds harsh but the scraper will actually cut very clean and it will knock it down ins a hurry. That is how I did the second layers of glass on my Merlin and after another fill coat you can hardly even tell there was an edge. My scraper came from Sears, it has several different blade attachments you will find VERY handy.

tbone56

Post by tbone56 »

Dogpaddlin wrote:

MM
I am with MM, except I would only do one fill coat to protect the cloth around that area and then get you a scraper and run it down the edge. You want to make sure the cloth is protected but you also don't want to have to do a bunch of extra sanding trying to fair it. It sounds harsh but the scraper will actually cut very clean and it will knock it down ins a hurry. That is how I did the second layers of glass on my Merlin and after another fill coat you can hardly even tell there was an edge. My scraper came from Sears, it has several different blade attachments you will find VERY handy.
I see. I have been doing the same thing, BUT... I have been scraping the edges after laying down the first layer of glass. I will refrain from doing that from here on out.

I bought 2 tools at the start of this project and they have been the best purchases. I bought a stanley (Bailey) block plane and a steel scraper.

Those 2 tools are great to use. I have never used a plane and it really works good. As far as using the scraper, I never knew how fast those will remove material.

Obviously, my problem is learning when and how to use them.

Thanks for the help.
makenmend

Post by makenmend »

Those two plus the japanese pull saw and shinto rasp get a good work out.

MM