TKF 1000 Club

Bayou Vista: Monday afternoon/eve 8/29/11

Post by Throttlehead250 »

ok guys this is my first fishing report so bare with me lol

Time: 6ish pm-10ish pm
Launch: Louis' Bait Camp Bar & Grill
Water Clarity: murkey, visibility 8in or so
Tide: semi slack to strong outgoing respectivly
bait: (red/white SSJ) (shrimp under popping cork) (freerange shrimp)

so i only have two morning classes at COM on Mon/Wed so i decided to do a little night fishing on the first day of class because they didnt assign any work, so i packed up my stuff around 5pm and got to the launch around 545pm after picking up some ice. I grabbed a pint of shrimp and headed out. i found a good amount of thrashing and bait activity and started out with the Red/White Super Spook Jr just to find out it was a vicious group of skip jacks lol, but i kept throwing artificials till it got dark because they tend to wander off when the sun goes down to open the door to bigger predators, plus i didnt want to waste my shrimp on fish i wasnt really looking for.

the sun is almost all the way down with just a light glow left, and i throw out a shrimp under a cork and resume playing with the skip jacks with the top water, the bobber goes down and luckily this time it wasnt a skip jack, but a dink trout, but still happy about catching a fish, this was my que to start fishing with the shrimp. i throw out one line with a bobber, the other just freerange shrimp. by this time it was dark, about 10 mins later my freerange shrimp pole started dancing, it wasnt a huge fish or anything i could tell, i reeled it in, it was a small red, probably 10-12in or so.

only caught a couple hardheads untill about 830-845

by this time i had put both my lines out with freerange shrimp, i was starting to get a little too relaxed and and enjoying being on the water too much so i kicked back on the cobra and set my head on my crate and watched the skys, I see a huge shooting star scream across the sky and as all my attention is focused on that *BAM* one of my reels goes screaming! I wasnt paying much attention to the fishing at that point and the noise caught me off guard big time and startled me. I pick up my rod and fight it for a little bit and finally get it to the boat where i can grab it with my "fish grips" and flop it into my lap, at this point i was very excited because this is my first keeper fish out of my kayak! It was a 22in red, and a beautiful fish at that! 9:25pm

i put that fish on the stringer and cast my line out again, i didnt have to wait as long this time though, and i was a little more attentive when the second one hit to lol, but again, same rod out of the two i had out took off, not as hard of a fighter this time so i was kinda curious what size and type of fish it was but got it to the boat as well and was a nice 21 in red, my night just got alot better! 9:50

By this time i realized what time it was and that i needed to get back to the launch because i had school at 8am this morn, so i drug up and headed back, i had an awesome time and was really excited about my two great fish!

thanks for reading, sorry it seemed a little drag out lol, there were parts i left out to keep it shorter
Attachments
Bayou Vista 8.29.jpg
BigGabe63
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: Bayou Vista: Monday afternoon/eve 8/29/11

Post by BigGabe63 »

Congrats on a good night and great first report. You have alot more dedication to school than I had when I was going :lol: :lol: Heck I have had a couple days at work where I only slept a couple hours due to some long nights of night fishing :lol:
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

BigGabe63 wrote:Congrats on a good night and great first report. You have alot more dedication to school than I had when I was going :lol: :lol: Heck I have had a couple days at work where I only slept a couple hours due to some long nights of night fishing :lol:

thanks for the kind words!

now school is a differnt matter, if i dont get my sleep im worthless.

the four years i was a welder before i decided to go back to school, i could function with little sleep lol
BigOx

Post by BigOx »

In one trip you have officially caught more keeps than me :evil: ! Great report man. It really is great when you can get out for a quick fishing trip, have a great time, and not disrupt the rest of your life. Keep 'em coming.
Deacon

Post by Deacon »

Very nice. Good report. hope to read more in the future.
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

Good job on those reds Throttlehead.

Do you remember which canal or area you were in for them? I'm probably gonna hit BV this week/weekend. I want to go fish without roasting.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

thanks everyone for the kind words
BigOx wrote:In one trip you have officially caught more keeps than me :evil: ! Great report man. It really is great when you can get out for a quick fishing trip, have a great time, and not disrupt the rest of your life. Keep 'em coming.
ya man i love those quick trips and now that im down in dickinson i feel that they are going to be more spontaneous and frequent lol
ArmyYak wrote:Good job on those reds Throttlehead.

Do you remember which canal or area you were in for them? I'm probably gonna hit BV this week/weekend. I want to go fish without roasting.
sure thing bud! just pop a squat at the railroad overpass! i might catch ya out there lol i plan on going later this week.
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

Yeah I have made plenty of trips up and down the canals and caught a LOT of dink trout, rat reds, and sand trout. I still haven't fished the railroad bridge. Went under it once in the daylight, but there was way too much PB traffic to sit out there and fish.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

ArmyYak wrote:Yeah I have made plenty of trips up and down the canals and caught a LOT of dink trout, rat reds, and sand trout. I still haven't fished the railroad bridge. Went under it once in the daylight, but there was way too much PB traffic to sit out there and fish.
I agree during the weekend, but try your luck during the weekdays, alot less traffic.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I've fished Vista a few times, trying to hit it just prior to high tide. You can find spots with reds tailing, getting them to hit is another issue. Sometimes I believe i would do better with a slingshot. I usual go early, 4 - 5 AM. I'll be there this weekend, and if my son makes it back from Texas State, we plan on an all night fish one night.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Hoosier Daddy wrote:I've fished Vista a few times, trying to hit it just prior to high tide. You can find spots with reds tailing, getting them to hit is another issue. Sometimes I believe i would do better with a slingshot. I usual go early, 4 - 5 AM. I'll be there this weekend, and if my son makes it back from Texas State, we plan on an all night fish one night.
im still very new to saltwater, and i went out the other morn and casted to what i thought were tailing reds and couldnt get ANYTHING to bite ANYTHING i had, so i dont feel so bad hearing that im not the only one that couldnt get them to bike lol. it would have been a skunk if it wouldnt have been for a half dollar size oversealous flounder that took one of my TTF plastics lol.

do yall normally fish the bridge or go out to the marsh on the other side?
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

Throttlehead250 wrote:
Hoosier Daddy wrote:I've fished Vista a few times, trying to hit it just prior to high tide. You can find spots with reds tailing, getting them to hit is another issue. Sometimes I believe i would do better with a slingshot. I usual go early, 4 - 5 AM. I'll be there this weekend, and if my son makes it back from Texas State, we plan on an all night fish one night.
im still very new to saltwater, and i went out the other morn and casted to what i thought were tailing reds and couldnt get ANYTHING to bite ANYTHING i had, so i dont feel so bad hearing that im not the only one that couldnt get them to bike lol. it would have been a skunk if it wouldnt have been for a half dollar size oversealous flounder that took one of my TTF plastics lol.

do yall normally fish the bridge or go out to the marsh on the other side?
We go back into the marsh/bayou. Usually keep moving until we find fish, have never fished the RR bridge, although there always seems to be at least one power boater sitting there so someone must be catching fish there. Have gotten disoriented in the bayou in the dark more then once. We're fairly new to this, but have found most Texas kayakers to be very friendly and helpful. We've gotten some suggestions on where to fish, as some spots seem to hold more fish then others, then used Google maps to try to get a general idea of how to get there. But like we already said, that doesn't put fish on your hook. :wink:
BigWorm

Post by BigWorm »

Nice report! Next time im in Galveston, I need to paddle out to the bayou.
BigOx

Post by BigOx »

Bayou Vista has been one of the places I've been wanting to try out. I may try and sneak out this afternoon/evening and see if I can pull out a few keepers too! :D
SaltH20Assassin

Post by SaltH20Assassin »

Nice Reds Throttlehead and good job on the report :clap:
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

Seems like we may need to have a bayou blitz sometime. Maybe an all nighter or something. Biggest piece of advice out there at night from me is have LIGHTS on your yak, as there's plenty of PB action through there just before dawn.
Throttlehead250
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

ArmyYak wrote:Seems like we may need to have a bayou blitz sometime. Maybe an all nighter or something. Biggest piece of advice out there at night from me is have LIGHTS on your yak, as there's plenty of PB action through there just before dawn.
sounds like a good time to me!
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

As far as that goes, I had permission to go to the bar tonight, but seeing how the weather keeps changing, I'm gonna take my chances down at BV. I was only going because one of my buddies is heading off to Special Forces selection tomorrow. He backed out so I have no reason to go and a free night pass. I smell feesh! Rain just keeps the salt out of my eyes!
Uno_Mas

Post by Uno_Mas »

How's the weather down there this afternoon? Me and my buddy are trying to decide between BV and Timid tonight.
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

Uno_Mas wrote:How's the weather down there this afternoon? Me and my buddy are trying to decide between BV and Timid tonight.
According to the weather channel, no precipitation forecasted through the night. Low for the night is 78 at around 6 am.
Hoosier Daddy

Post by Hoosier Daddy »

I hope to finish work early this afternoon and head out. With any luck I'll be on water by 4-5. Yellow Tarpon 120.

Joe
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

Well I launched from Louis' at about 0145 this morning. Off the water at 0600. Windy as all get out, and the water is incredibly high. Ended up with a lot of dinks, sandies, and a rat red before I got a 20 inch speck. I'll post a report when I get back to my computer.
Ms addicted
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ms addicted »

ArmyYak wrote:Well I launched from Louis' at about 0145 this morning. Off the water at 0600. Windy as all get out, and the water is incredibly high.
That would be the tropical depression in the gulf. Going to probably get higher and certainly windier. Hopefully we get some rain out of the deal.
ArmyYak

Post by ArmyYak »

Yes ma'am. It was pretty cool to be able to see some storm cells moving by down south. As far as the rain, I was hoping we would have some by now.