any activity in this group?

BILLYP

any activity in this group?

Post by BILLYP »

i just joined this group and was wondering if this group is still active. i live in the meyerland area and would be intreested in meeting up sometime if anyone ever gets together. tkf has been a great source of info for me online and am looking to meet more members. i am fairly new to the kayaking game but have super excited to get out and go fishing any opportunity that i get since i got my kayak last year. after reading some of the previous posts from quite some time ago on this board, it seems that a few of you get together at w. alabama ice house? do people just go to the pack meetings now instead? i am interested in getting more involved and meeting some other members. any information or feedback is greatly appreciated.

-billyp
Pablo
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston, Tx Sharpstown . . . . OK Drifter - WS Ride 135 & WS T160i

Re: any activity in this group?

Post by Pablo »

Looks like we all need to have a beer at the Bama Ice House and get a game plan going for an outing.
BILLYP

Post by BILLYP »

that sounds great. i would def be interested.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

I'm in! I work in the downtown area but get off @ 4 P.M. It's our off season but I'm a guide for a kayak company that does tours on Buffalo Bayou so I can be found near the bayou in the summer on the weekends.
BILLYP

Post by BILLYP »

so how does this work? should we just throw out a date and see if anyone can make it? maybe sometime next week?

OQ, what kayak company? i have never taken a tour of the bayou before. where can i get some info?
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

BILLYP wrote:so how does this work? should we just throw out a date and see if anyone can make it? maybe sometime next week?

OQ, what kayak company? i have never taken a tour of the bayou before. where can i get some info?
http://bayoushuttle.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I started last year as a customer and joined later. I love to paddle and this was an easy way to do it (one of the launch sites is just a 1/2 mile from my apt.) But we also did things at Discovery Green and we teach safe kayaking skills to all ages. I was proud to be part of an 8 year old and her 11 year old sister learning deep water recovery. The 8 year old was to little to get alone so we showed the bigger sister how to help her.

But we do tours down the bayou and the guides start in the morning near the beltway and paddle down to Sabine Street Park (it's 3 tours back to back). Covers about 20 miles each day. It helps me keep in shape and it pays for my hobby.
If you have your own boat you can go with us for $15 bucks and you can do 1 or all 3 tours if you like ($15 for the day not per tour). We start back up around March. You can also get picked up, be taken up stream and dropped off, then you paddle back to your vehicle so if you want to fish or something you can.

Back to a meeting for a beer.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Post a time and location and those that still check out this forum will post up and then adjust date and time for the most to show up. 8)
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Friday the 13th of January @ 5:00 PM Bama bar.
BILLYP

Post by BILLYP »

i can't make it this evening. i have an appt to go look at a house is sugarland. but i am definitely interested in another shot. maybe monday? i wouldn't be able to make it until 6:00ish
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

BILLYP wrote:i can't make it this evening. i have an appt to go look at a house is sugarland. but i am definitely interested in another shot. maybe monday? i wouldn't be able to make it until 6:00ish
I was just getting it started BillyP. As it gets closer to Spring more people will show interest on this forum. I will be out of downtown area after 4 on Mondays. But If we keep posting we will find something that works.
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

PACK is havig a meeting at the Sosa Community Center at 1414 Wirt Rd at 6:30 on Tuesday the 17th if anyone is interested. Scott Null is speaking.
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Coming up soon we will be doing tours down Buffalo Bayou again and we end at Sabine Street Park in the late afternoons on the weekend, if anyone knows of a little pub/bar in the area maybe we can all get together then. Or, I belong to a meet up group (Kayaking Houston) and we will be doing upstream paddle trip soon. We all meet at Parking Lot "H" at 150 Sabine Street, launch, paddle up stream till...when ever and paddle back down. I try to do them as often as possible on nice Sundays till tour season starts. ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US! Free Parking and great adventure...that's free too, and you can bring beer if you like (drink on the bayou , not the park)
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

OrangeQuest wrote:Coming up soon we will be doing tours down Buffalo Bayou again and we end at Sabine Street Park in the late afternoons on the weekend, if anyone knows of a little pub/bar in the area maybe we can all get together then. Or, I belong to a meet up group (Kayaking Houston) and we will be doing upstream paddle trip soon. We all meet at Parking Lot "H" at 150 Sabine Street, launch, paddle up stream till...when ever and paddle back down. I try to do them as often as possible on nice Sundays till tour season starts. ALL ARE WELCOME TO JOIN US! Free Parking and great adventure...that's free too, and you can bring beer if you like (drink on the bayou , not the park)
We are doing a meet up paddle upstream this SUNDAY, all are welcome to join. We meet @ 150 Sabine St (but it's the corner of Memorial & Houston Ave) It's called LOT H. We meet at around 9:30 and paddle upstream to where ever and then paddle back. It's all pretty much flat water with a few spots the current will pick up due to shallow water. It's a great way to hone your skills and keep in shape. We will paddle for about 4 or 5 miles then paddle back. This is just a paddling trip with no fishing but that shouldn't stop you from scouting the waters, there are large gar in the bayou. I'll be the guy wearing a Mango PFD so I'm not hard to miss.

Ken J
Astrobeerman

Post by Astrobeerman »

So.............I see the NW houston chapter is nicely active.........I saw the tours are ramping up, I wasn't able to schedule a tour (tey sell out fast) but hopefully in June

I so wanna get out there
OrangeQuest
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by OrangeQuest »

Astrobeerman wrote:So.............I see the NW houston chapter is nicely active.........I saw the tours are ramping up, I wasn't able to schedule a tour (tey sell out fast) but hopefully in June

I so wanna get out there
If you have your own boat then call the shuttle service, sometimes they are booked up because all the boats are out but still room on the trailer for private boats. It's $15 to transport your boat and you can go on a tour then.
Geminiwayz

Post by Geminiwayz »

Just wondering if ya'll have any meetings or outings scheduled for August?
Terror Dactyl

Post by Terror Dactyl »

Ur best bet is go to packtx.org and click on events tab. there is a weekend trip this coming weekend and a meeting in Spring Branch the 21st.
Geminiwayz

Post by Geminiwayz »

Okay, thanks. I'll check it out.