Kayak Fishing at Morgans Point

unayluum

Kayak Fishing at Morgans Point

Post by unayluum »

So, after my scary experience BTB in the Ship Channel East Beach Jetties, a friend of mine invited me to go fishing on Sunday at Morgan’s Point by La Port. While fishing there I noticed what it looks like a couple of islands across the water and I began to wonder how good the fishing would be there. I asked my friend who fishes there a lot if he’d ever seen any kayakers fish there and he told me that he had never seen anyone on a kayak fish there, but that if had a way to get there he would go because he has heard some good fishing stories. Does anyone in the forum ever fish there? I will like to go there some day, but I will like to get a group for safety reasons to do it with.
topout24

Re: Kayak Fishing at Morgans Point

Post by topout24 »

I have never fished across the ship channel but I have thought about camping/ fishing over there. let me know when you are going, ill go withya
lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

The waves I've seen ships make there I wouldn't go out in my pro angler. We used to catch a lot of reds there when there was the old bar/pool hall there with the little pier next to it.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Atkinson Island is a wildlife refuge - not sure you can camp or even set foot there - the good fishing is on the west side, so better to get there from the west. The part of the bay between the island and the Laport side is a good place to fish the birds this time of year.
nicktm103

Post by nicktm103 »

The paddle across the Ship Channel from Morgan's Point can be a little tricky because it is hard to see tankers and barges coming from the north, since the channel takes a turn just north of Morgan's Point making a sort of blind spot for a low sitting kayak. While it is a short paddle to Atkinson, you're not safe just cause you're out of the channel and close to Atkinson. The surge from the tankers will suck the water out a couple of feet before the tanker passes and then it will come roaring back. If there is a tanker coming or going, you want to be high and dry on the island, those waves and surges are nothing to mess with. The waves will break really hard near the shore of Atkinson

There is a TPWD requirement that you have some sort of permit to land on the island, I looked into that but there is nowhere to buy this thing, it seems like a bit of a hollow law. It has been discussed before: http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=178471" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As far as fishing goes, I've had the best luck up near Hog Island, but I haven't tried fishing too much around the west side of Atkinson. The east side of Atkinson near the walls and drains of the demonstration marsh and spoil sites also offer some good fishing.

Nice views from the other side:

Cosmo333_Tx

Post by Cosmo333_Tx »

Not familiar with the area, but you talked about a permit from TPWD. You'd need to do your research for this specific WMA, but others require a "Limited Public Use" permit. They are about $13, and for 90% of the cashiers at Academy, no that doesn't exist. Or at least that's what they tell me every year when I go to buy one. It does exist though, and if you'll walk them through the Hunting Screen, to Stamps, it's right next to the Public Hunting Permit in the bottom right hand corner.
nicktm103

Post by nicktm103 »

Cosmo333_Tx wrote:Not familiar with the area, but you talked about a permit from TPWD. You'd need to do your research for this specific WMA, but others require a "Limited Public Use" permit. They are about $13, and for 90% of the cashiers at Academy, no that doesn't exist. Or at least that's what they tell me every year when I go to buy one. It does exist though, and if you'll walk them through the Hunting Screen, to Stamps, it's right next to the Public Hunting Permit in the bottom right hand corner.
Do you know if you need to have an actual hunting license in order to purchase that stamp? Thanks for the info on that.
RadDadChad

Post by RadDadChad »

I arrived at this site after a google search trying to see if it was ok to do this. That was BEFORE I went the second time, and got stopped by Harris County Sherriffs 🙄.
I am not sure if I believe that you are not supposed to, Police often say things they want versus real law.
It was fun though, it is busy though , so you just have to wait for the big ships and barges to pass . Timing.

https://youtu.be/YcH9BIhC0AA