Hobie Sport for the Surf?

Slabdout

Hobie Sport for the Surf?

Post by Slabdout »

Hey guys, I have an Outback and love it, but its a bit of a hassle when I want to land-based fish and run out baits quite often in the surf. I am wondering which I should add to the fleet now, either the OK Frenzy or the Hobie Sport. I will be launching primarily from the galveston beach front. I need this secondary yak strictly for running baits out up to 500 yds for shark bait deployment. It doesn't need to hold any gear as I have my Outback for BTB and day trip applications. I just need to get my baits out as quick as I can and get back to shore ASAP with minimal chance of flipping. Frenzy and Sport are the only 2 I'm considering. Your thoughts? Thanks!
RedWolf
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Clear Lake, Lime OK Frenzy, Lime Tarpon 120, Blue Tarpon 140

Re: Hobie Sport for the Surf?

Post by RedWolf »

This one is easy.....

Frenzy $4-500 new, 2-300ish used

Hobie Sport $1699 new, Hobie Quest (non-mirage drive yak) $999

The Frenzy is actually designed for running thru and playing in the surf and is probably one of the best yaks available for running baits, especially if the water is rough.
Slabdout

Post by Slabdout »

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if the Hobie Mirage Drive made it easier to get through the surf zone or if I should just go with the frenzy. looking to go up to 500 yds out but will typically be going between 150 and 300 yds out
lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

Considering its just a bait runner I'd go frenzy. With a sport you still have to paddle until you can drop in your drive. Price is a huge difference as well. You should elaborate on why your outback is a hassle in the surf. You may run into the same problems with the sport. Also the sport is for women and children or a small man you didn't state your size that could be another factor. Lastly you probably will flip either yak eventually running baits. It only takes one time to forget to secure your mirage drive and that will be a painful loss. By no means am I knocking Hobie as I am a Pro Angler owner myself and have owned nearly every Hobie kayak designed, I just believe the frenzy will better suit your needs.
thrasher

Post by thrasher »

I have a Perception Sport 8' for playing in the surf. Its a wild ride, as any short kayak is going to be,... it is some big fun, though. It is probably similar to a Frenzy, but it comes with a built in seat. I think I paid $499 for it at Gander. As for not flipping a short kayak in the surf, that depends on your skill level more than anything, as a short kayak will handle totally different than a long one.

Good luck with whatever you get; be patient with it and build your skills playing in the surf. 8)