My new kayak trailer project

Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

My new kayak trailer project

Post by Kingwood Kayaker »

I recently traded in my Chevy Pickup for a new F-150. When I traded it in, I really felt guilty because my kayak beat the $*t out of it. Dents on the top of the cab, dents on the edges of the bed, and never mind the skid marks on the hood when a Tarpon 160 slides out of the saddles during loading. Oh, and you can only imagine the canyon the rudder left as it slid across the hood too.

I'll be damned if I buy another rack. Keeping your car nice is hard enough as it is.

So, I've started a new project to build a kayak trailer. I'm short on space in the garage and in the boat house. I really needed something big enough that would carry two kayaks and our gear, but also small enough to be stored in a small area.

I stopped by Northern Tool and Equipment and found this trailer. It's a single axle 4' x 8' fold up utility trailer. It's rated for 1/2 of a ton.

Perfect!! And when it's folded up, it is even on wheels to be rolled around the garage!!

Now I'm in the process of designing the trailer and building it out for the kayaks. When I'm done, it will be very modular and only require 5-10 minutes of setup and break-down time.

Obviously, one of my concerns is that the trailer won't weigh enough to keep on the ground. Even with kayaks and gear, (roughly 150 lbs total) I still expect it to bounce around all over behind me.

The 1/2 inch plywood decking that I will be installing will add some weight, but I've got a few other tricks up my sleeve.

I am wanting to set-up the trailer with a 30-gallon plastic tank. (Located directly over the axles) Before each trip, I can sit the tank on the trailer and then fill it with fresh water before leaving the house. After spending a day on the water, I will be able to load the kayaks up and rinse all of our gear as we put it away for the next trip. (Not to mention, rinse yourself!) I'll do this by hooking up a low volume pump that will suck the water from the tank and out a spray nozzle. I can use the 12 volts coming off the trailer lights to power the pump.

Oh, and by the way. Since I've got fresh water at the trailer, I might as well add a small fish cleaning station that can swing out to be used and and then folded back. (After it's been rinsed off, of course. :lol: )

I still haven't decided the exact details and final layout of the trailer, but it should be pretty cool when all is done. I'll update the thread with pic's as it begins to take shape.

Phil
Last edited by Kingwood Kayaker on Fri Nov 19, 2004 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bow_wave

Post by bow_wave »

How much did the trailer cost? It looks like a nice little trailer.

Post by Guest »

Contragulations on your trailer and ideas. If I get another trailer I definitely want a TRUE folding one like yours. Also would like to know the price as the 4x8 size is just right for me. Keep us posted and show PICs of your finished project. Regards, Yaks Away. 8)
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Even best. The cost was $199 plus buying the wheels. (Tires were already mount to the wheels and inflated.) Each wheel ran $34 each.

Phil
Backlasher
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Backlasher »

Hey Phil! once you use that trailer, you'll wonder how you ever got along without it. Since you don't back them into the saltwater, there's little maintenance other than the bearings. Customize it to suit yourself and you'll be happy for a long time using it.
I'm a lot older than you but I can remember how hard it was to load and unload before the trailer. I like keeping things simple but that trailer made my life a lot easier. Good luck and keep us informed.
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

KK,
Those wheels in the pic look pretty small. What size did you get?
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Re: My new kayak trailer project

Post by let's go »

Kingwood Kayaker wrote:Oh, and by the way. Since I've got fresh water at the trailer, I might as well add a small fish cleaning station that can swing out to be used and and then folded back. (After it's been rinsed off, of course. :lol: )
Phil

:lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good one :lol: :lol: :lol: What in the world would you use that for...unless of course Front Row catches something. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

I don't know what size are in the picture, but it bothered me too.

Because I was concerned about it, I tried to re-engineer the trailer a bit while I was at the store. I was planning on installing some larger wheels and tires. The only issue was that the larger tires were a couple of inches wider and that would have caused them to rub the sides of the trailer.

So I went to the next step and saw I could purchase another axle for $43 that was a bit wider. But after a little research, I discovered that the pre-drilled holes were a bit too wide for the exisiting springs. So, I had to can that idea.

I talked to a guy that works in their trailer dept and he showed me that the hubs/bearings were highway rated and he hooked me up with some narrow tires that are also rated for highway speeds. The wheels are 13.5" diameter and the tires are 22".

I didn't really believe him, but he showed me their regular full-size utility trailers, and they have the same setup. So I felt a bit better about it.

The more I thought about it, the less I worried about it too. Since I'm packing the bearings, I know they will be done right. And even if I burn one up at some point, it's only $25 for me to carry a second one along. (Which I will do. I need to do it for the boat too, once I get the measurements for it.)

Phil
Last edited by Kingwood Kayaker on Fri Nov 19, 2004 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
BENNY
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by BENNY »

I can't wait to see what some of your ideas are. I have a trailer that I just need springs for and I plan on building 4 kayak bunks, a lock box and maybe even a deck to where I can carry my 4-wheeler.
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

let's go wrote: :lol: :lol: :lol: That's a good one :lol: :lol: :lol: What in the world would you use that for...unless of course Front Row catches something. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Of course, someone does have to put her on the fish. Putting people on fish is a whole lot more rewarding than catching them yourself.

Besides, I've been known to land a few trophy piggy perch when I'm in the salt. I just never wanted to pump up my own ego by submitting them for state records. :D

Phil
craig-fish

Post by craig-fish »

Kingwood Kayaker

I think the water supply with a pump is a great idea! I usually poor water out of a jug, which doesn't work good while juggling everything else.
CW

Post by CW »

My brother-in-law and I made one about two months ago and it turned out great. I also bought a new truck and didn't want it to look like my old 4-Runner with dents and scratches all over the hood. Anyway, we used an old 16' john boat trailer with an extended tongue. Added some frame support and had an upright kayak rack welded on. We then built 1/2" lockable plywood boxes on each side of the trailer to store everything you would possibly need, plus add weight to the trailer. It will hold 4 kayaks, enough camping and fishing gear for an extended weekend, and keeps our trucks and backs in better shape. You will enjoy the trailer!
FISH MD

trailer

Post by FISH MD »

If that the trailer from harbor freight 4X8 foldable with 12 inch tires, then i have it. The max speed limit posted on the tires is 55, but ive driven up to 75 with no problem. It is very light and can be moved very easy. The only problem i found was i needed a longer hitch reciever on my truck, to make sure the tarpons 140 would turn easier.
Mulletherder

Post by Mulletherder »

Hey Kingwood I hate to tell you this but I bought the same trailer for $199 and it came with the tiers and wheels for that price. I got mine at Harbor Frieght in Corpus. I am still putting mine together. Man those things have chingos of bolts. I bought mine to carry my hunting gear because my wife will not let me put it inside her new Trail Blazer. The thing is made in China so the workmanship leaves a lot to be desiered. I have one problem with mine so far. The bed tilts down for easy loading. Well the holes that you put the pin in to keep it from tiliting dont line up. I am almost done putting mine together. I really need to get on the ball cause I am going hunting the week after Thanksgiving.
spursfiend

Post by spursfiend »

CW,
I bought a used jon boat trailer too. I'm still trying to decide how to customize it and would love to see some pics of how others have theirs set up. I like the idea of being able to use the trailer to haul camping/hunting gear in a lockable storage box. If you can, please let us see how yours is laid out.

KK,
Keep us posted on your progress. I'd love to see how yours is set up too.

Thanks,
Spursfiend
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Mulletherder wrote:Hey Kingwood I hate to tell you this but I bought the same trailer for $199 and it came with the tiers and wheels for that price. I got mine at Harbor Frieght in Corpus. I am still putting mine together. Man those things have chingos of bolts. I bought mine to carry my hunting gear because my wife will not let me put it inside her new Trail Blazer. The thing is made in China so the workmanship leaves a lot to be desiered. I have one problem with mine so far. The bed tilts down for easy loading. Well the holes that you put the pin in to keep it from tiliting dont line up. I am almost done putting mine together. I really need to get on the ball cause I am going hunting the week after Thanksgiving.

I guess that's good and bad. It's bad because I paid a bit more for it, but it's good because I got to choose which tires and wheels I get to put on it.

For the extra $34 per wheel, it's worth that to me for the oversized hardware.

Phil
TDD

Post by TDD »

KK ........ you'll enjoy the trailor once you get it rigged .... it might be worth ur money to repaint it after it's rigged before any rust starts ... could really make a difference in how long you like it driving thru KW. Also i would suggest to move the water/weight forward where more weight is proportioned toward the tongue cause if you don't the trailor will bounce and sway no matter how much it weights ...... if you park a car on a transport trailor with the engine faceing to the rear you will have real trouble usually .. etc.
enjoy .... Tim
cctxfish

Post by cctxfish »

Kingwood,
Like the idea, but the water thing may cause you problems. I'd try to find some kind of container that you can pressurize. It would be a lot easer. Work2fish had a good idea with the spray bottle.[/quote]

Post by Guest »

CW when time permits post some PICs of your trailer as I am wanting to build a cargo storage box on my converted small jon boat trailer to also carry one yak on top. Need ideas as my imagination sucks. Regards, the T-Man
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Newt »

Phil

West Marine has a coiled hose nozzle combo for boat washdown. It should work great for your purpose. Use a RV or bilge type pump.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... tId=134662

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/st ... ctId=39708
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Thanks Newt,

I had my eye on that kit earlier today. I'm pretty sure that'll be the one I decide to go with. I'm just waiting to determine which style of tank I get to make sure the setup will all work together.

I just landed here in Missouri, so I won't have time to work on it this weekend. :(

I can't wait to get back and get started putting it all together.

Phil
Paddlefoot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Paddlefoot »

Kingwood Kayaker wrote:I am wanting to set-up the trailer with a 30-gallon plastic tank. (Located directly over the axles) Before each trip, I can sit the tank on the trailer and then fill it with fresh water before leaving the house.

You may want to consider a baffled tank. That 250# of water sloshing around in the tank may cause your trailer to be all over the road.

This does sound like a cool idea though. It would be nice to be able to clean up before you get home.
scwafish

Post by scwafish »

I built a trailer from scratch and I love the heck out of it. Super easy to load, and not worries about thrashing the van. I leave it loaded so getting ready is as simple as hooking it up. I put a flat deck on the lower level so I can haul two yaks and a LOT of camping gear, or three yaks and plenty of camping gear, or just four yaks. Anyways, I can't imagine cartopping anymore. Good luck on you project.
Matt2
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Matt2 »

If you are the same scwafish from pirate4x4, I'd love to see your custom trailer if its anything like your samurai :twisted: Anyway welcome to the Texas board

Matt