Mosquitos??

bjones8103

Mosquitos??

Post by bjones8103 »

Not that I'm complaining; but where are all the mosquitos this year?
Newf88

Re: Mosquitos??

Post by Newf88 »

Bridge Bait in Freeport. Lol. I got about 50 bites in 5 minutes...
Johnny5455
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johnny5455 »

What's your address... I'll send the ones in my backyard to ya.
texnomad
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by texnomad »

In the woods in Rockport.
waynewilson417

Post by waynewilson417 »

I'll be glad to bring the ones in my backyard to ya. :lol:
bjones8103

Post by bjones8103 »

You guys are doing a great job! Just hang on to what you got. No kidding; I get up at 4a.m. every morning and walk my dog 3.5 miles, sometimes down the Texas City Dike and sometimes down the trail that runs from Skyline Blvd (levee) and back down through the Bay Street Parks and I haven't been bit once. None around my house either. Maybe it's the deodorant I'm not wearing.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Lcra campground at matagorda

I almost bled out!
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

waynewilson417 wrote:I'll be glad to bring the ones in my backyard to ya. :lol:
2x...
milret
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by milret »

And now we have the Tiger Mosquito to contend with. They show no mercy and 6 make a dozen.
texan4ut
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by texan4ut »

Bazillion of em in my backyard.
Bad Luck Guy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Bad Luck Guy »

For the guys with the backyard problems, I use this. Unless you have acreage as a backyad, this works great in suburbia. I use once a month during the bad months but have not had to break it out this year.

Fish soup

Post by Fish soup »

Last weekend in Rockport, I looked like I had Chicken Pox but I am Glad you are having a good mosquito year.

Check out this festival:

http://www.mosquitofestival.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Maybe the folks over in Clute skeeter-napped em. They have a mosquito cooking conterst and a few years ago the winning recipe was: "Chili con skeeter"
TheBert

Post by TheBert »

bjones8103 wrote:Not that I'm complaining; but where are all the mosquitos this year?
I didn't want to say it, but since you did I was thinking the same exact thing. I literally have not seen a single one this year and I spend my weekends outdoors.
CopanoCruisin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CopanoCruisin »

Over here about a month ago, we had about a half inch of rain, all in the same day. Wow! It woke the salt water marsh skeeters something furiously for about a week. Other than that, not much more this year. Last week, We just happened to be at the Mayan ruins outside Progresso, Mexico, on the Yucatan penisula and they were bad. I never read about that part in any of the reviews and obviously, no one else on our shore excursion did either. Absolutely no one on the bus had any of the Bayside perfume with them.
bjones8103

Post by bjones8103 »

It was two weeks ago I started this thread and todate, no bites. I walk my dog at 4am every morning for 3.5 miles along the bay. Wind or no wind, no mosquitos. I've been thinking about stopping in and asking Texas City Parks Dept what they're doing for mosquito control. I'll post what I come up with tomorrow.
Hirsch
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Hirsch »

Galveston county use to have a mosquito control district and I suspect still do. They likely deserve much of the credit.

http://www.co.galveston.tx.us/mosquito_ ... dstaff.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Weird1

Post by Weird1 »

I am not even near the coast, and I have them under my desk, and can't seem to eradicate them. I have resorted to a thermacell, and 98% deet. I am still getting bites!!!! Enjoy the lack of skeeters you lucky so and so!!!!!
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Heading back to LCRA Matagorda tonight........hopefully the heat has killed a few skeeters off. Last time getting the trailer setup at dusk I probably lost 2 pints of blood! :shock:
bjones8103

Post by bjones8103 »

I stopped by Texas City Parks Dept and asked them about what's up with the mosquitos. As Hirsch informed us, mosquito control falls under Galveston Co. I emailed Galveston Co and here's thier reply:

"Mr. Jones,

We had a small hatch off of mosquitoes back in June but we knocked them down pretty quickly and we just really haven’t much rain or high tides since then to produce more mosquitoes. However, high tides last weekend along with some scattered showers may produce more mosquitoes over the weekend. So your luck of no mosquito bites may change by next week. We are monitoring the situation so hopefully we can get it controlled quickly. Thanks for the kind words.

Have a good day.

Galveston County Mosquito Control"

Not what I wanted to hear; but still no bites this morning.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

No skeeters in Gorda, but I must have killed 20 yellow jackets this morning when spooling my reel.

Are they attracted by dead or dying buddies?
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Spoke too soon, took dog for a walk just now and was swarmed by skeeters.

Not as bad as 3 weeks ago, but strange they were not out last night, this morning or even this evening. Must be when the wind drops below 15mph
BertK

Post by BertK »

Ok well this sounds a little fufu...but since the buggers love my blood and my skin hates their bites I have been experimenting with ways to get the to move on from seeing me as a target. So here it is hands down the best anti mosquito method I have found. Before I head out fishing on my Yak I become the prettiest smelling fisherman out there! Ha!

Take a bath in warm or hot water but not to clean up. Instead you take Eucalyptus lemon oil, rosemary oil, lavender oil. A few drops of each ( I usually use 6 of each in the tub with hot hot water) I soak in it for as long as I can stand. ( before my Yak starts yelling at me to hurry and get him in the water). ( these essential oils were about $15 for all 3 bottles)

Now in doing this I have noticed that my house smells great! But the best part of it is for a day or two them dam buggers don't touch me. Now my wife just like myself has started and we have been enjoying life without blood loss.

Give it a try! Hope it works or you!
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Bert K: it can;t hurt.....but do the fish like it? :lol:
BertK

Post by BertK »

They jump right in my Yak since I smell so pretty! :P

Honestly have not had an issue catching fish with this. Last time out did ok. So I can't say that it hurts my fishin any.
cliftonio

Post by cliftonio »

Another Thursday night arrival at LCRA in Gorda and no skeeters. Breeze is very nice, we will see how the skeeters and the surf look in the morning!