No one cares

Yak'n Medic

Re: No one cares

Post by Yak'n Medic »

waynewilson417 wrote:Weekdays are tough for me to do a meeting and I'm all for having meetings, but as it was mentioned before, I really don't care to hear about Alaskan fishing stories or whatnot. I want to make fishing stories.

90% of us work during the week, and me personally after a 12 hr shift, the last thing I want to do is drive on a Tuesday evening anywhere.

My not get the chapter members together for a fishing trip on the first Saturday of the month. Maybe everyone make a donation to pay for a kayak fishing guide.

I personally don't want to stand around and trade fishing stories with the members here. I want to be on the water catching fish and learning different techniques with them.

I'm about an hour and 15 mins from the ack location in spring and even further from rei. But the NW chapter is the closest chapter for me that seems to have any kind of activity. I would more than be down, as would my buddies that live close to me, to meet up once a month with the chapter on the water. During the week just doesn't work for me.

Maybe chapter fishing trips could be an option. For next months meeting. Make it on a weekend and I will be there.
Why did no one acknowledge this fellas comment... Seems like an excellent idea to me, I'd join, and donate!
troutslinger
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: Cypress/West Galveston bay/ East Matty/ Mirrolure Pro Staff

Post by troutslinger »

waynewilson417 wrote:Weekdays are tough for me to do a meeting and I'm all for having meetings, but as it was mentioned before, I really don't care to hear about Alaskan fishing stories or whatnot. I want to make fishing stories.

90% of us work during the week, and me personally after a 12 hr shift, the last thing I want to do is drive on a Tuesday evening anywhere.

My not get the chapter members together for a fishing trip on the first Saturday of the month. Maybe everyone make a donation to pay for a kayak fishing guide.

I personally don't want to stand around and trade fishing stories with the members here. I want to be on the water catching fish and learning different techniques with them.

I'm about an hour and 15 mins from the ack location in spring and even further from rei. But the NW chapter is the closest chapter for me that seems to have any kind of activity. I would more than be down, as would my buddies that live close to me, to meet up once a month with the chapter on the water. During the week just doesn't work for me.

Maybe chapter fishing trips could be an option. For next months meeting. Make it on a weekend and I will be there.
Same here. Looks like there was a post for a trip but haven't heard anything about it.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

To me, having a meeting once each month was a little much. Maybe once every 3 months and make it to plan a chapter fishing trip. Back when the chapter started, I was working and I made a few meetings but it was tough after a long day at work and a long drive home in traffic. Now that I am retired, I would still rather spend my spare time meeting up with my fishing buddies for a beer, burger or whatever to plan our next trip. We could even once in a while have a Lures Tourney for chapter members just for fun or side wagers on biggest fish, most spots whatever.
Problem now is that we no longer have someone leading this chapter or anyone that wants to take the helm.
TXBattleship66

Post by TXBattleship66 »

So there is little to no activity with this chapter? Is it feasible to try add get it active? Waynewilson417 has a great idea in my opinion
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Yeah, somebody has to step up and re-start meetings, or better yet, schedule some fishing trips.

The best thing would have been for more than 8 guys/gals to show up at the meetings.

After trying for year, and following after other people who also tried to get meetings going, I guess I am now of the opinion that we didn't have the same type of interest in the NW that the West chapter seems to have now.

I've seen a number of requests for simply setting a day/date and place for a fishing outing....and announcing it here. Why not try that?

I now spend 6 months in another State, and I won't be the one who tries to re-open it.

When I am back in the Fall, I would be happy to attend a fishing day.

richg99
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

When will you be back Rich? Fall is a great time to plan an outing :D I don't blame you for not wanting to helm the chapter. I had the same problem with the Women's chapter. Even planning an outing we only had 3 members for our last outing. You fished with 2 of them when you went out with me and Aggie94. Maybe we can plan a trip for the NW members and get some good response. I will be happy to help plan it but I don't want to helm the chapter either.

I will put this idea out there though. Highlands Bayou, launch and lunch at Louie's. Some Saturday in the not so distant future. :D
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I am fine with late October.

But, for right now....

My suggestion is...you've already picked a venue.

Why not name a time and date right now...and see who shows up.

richg99
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

richg99 wrote:I am fine with late October.

But, for right now....

richg99
I would Rich, but my weekends off for the next couple of months are going to be few and far between. :cry:
On 2nd thought, I do have the weekend of August 15th off. If we can get a pre-trip meeting going so we can plan our trip. Kind of a meet and greet and decide how we want to do the chapter meetings and such. I'm thinking a Thursday late afternoon meeting at Carl's barbecue on 290, I will check and see when their meeting room is available and then post details.
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

gonefishin wrote:
richg99 wrote:I am fine with late October.

But, for right now....

richg99
I would Rich, but my weekends off for the next couple of months are going to be few and far between. :cry:
On 2nd thought, I do have the weekend of August 15th off. If we can get a pre-trip meeting going so we can plan our trip. Kind of a meet and greet and decide how we want to do the chapter meetings and such. I'm thinking a Thursday late afternoon meeting at Carl's barbecue on 290, I will check and see when their meeting room is available and then post details.
@gonefishin This is how it starts. Somebody stepping up and volunteering their personal time to organize something. Stop waiting on others to do something that you want done. Do it yourself. Good stuff.

@everybodyelse Consider doing away with 'nominating or electing' a group leader. This is a group and everybody has the ability to organize something. Everybody can be a leader. Don't wait for somebody else to organize something. If it is something that you want, then step up and organize it yourself. There is no asking for permission. The benefit to you is you get to do it in your own way as you are the one doing the work....just accept that it will be difficult to please everybody. If somebody thinks it can be done better, then that person should step up and organize something too.

I gave my time as an organizer long ago. I didn't ask for permission. I just did it and I enlisted help. It happened because I wanted it to happen and I made it happen. You can do this too.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

That's the idea habenerojooz. I don't think we need leaders either or meetings every month. I am thinking we plan 4 meetings a year along with 4 trips and these can be freshwater and saltwater trips. When we meet up we can decide where the 1st trip will be and get suggestions for future trips and volunteers to get those trips organized also. This is a great way to meet other kayakers in your area and hook up with fishing buddies.
Have the meetings at restaurants where everyone can get their own meal and beverage of choice and even bring the family along. Meetings will just be to organize the next trip, share fishing experiences and ideas and just have fun and fellowship :D