No one cares

richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

No one cares

Post by richg99 »

Well, we had the third monthly meeting since I tried to resurrect the NW Chapter.

The meeting was great, at least in my opinion. Jerry Easterly entertained and informed us about his trip to Alaska, and made our mouths drool with his pictures of the big salmon; halibut; trout and other species that he and his buddies caught. I especially liked the movie of the big bear thrashing through the water...and, mostly, not catching any fish. Looked like me on a normal non-fish-catching day.

Dennis, Dr. Flatfish... not only explained how he made his sail for his Tarpon yak, but brought the entire rig along. We all meandered out to the parking lot and gave his sail, and his kayak, a good looking over. Dennis had some creative uses of pipe and PVC to make the rig, which will be real attribute to his fishing adventures. I know I learned a lot, and am thinking about how I can modify my yaks to use his best ideas. Anyone who was there would have picked up an idea or two.

We chatted a bit and told some fish stories, all of which were pretty entertaining. Then, we broke out the ropes, or lines ...I guess, and taught each other our favorite knots. I saw some that I hadn't ever considered using until last night.

Now the BAD NEWS. We've held three meetings recently, and the average attendance is seven guys, or eight, if you count the leader. You can't have a vibrant, active chapter when eight guys, out of 88 or so on the list, show up meeting after meeting.

I thought that, the first time, perhaps most of the guys didn't know about the meetings. I took the extra effort, on all three meetings, to individually email every single name on our list. I then posted a couple of reminders on the NW Chapter site. All to no avail.

The fact is NO ONE CARES!!!

Accordingly, the next "meeting" will be at a restaurant, probably on the first Tuesday of the month, and that location will be posted here. Anyone who wants to get together with some of the guys is welcome to meet at that location. There will be no additional formal meeting agenda; no programs; no speakers; and I hope that those who actually care, might show up from time to time.

It is ludicrous to tie up meeting rooms and, in the case of ACK (Austin Kayak), ask people to stay late and keep their stores open, when NO ONE CARES. Eight attendees on average does not a chapter make!

I hate to cut the chapter's formal meetings off, but three strikes and we are out.

I will be sending emails to REI and ACK, thanking them for the use of their locations, and stopping the tying up of their spaces on the first Tuesday of each month.

regards, Rich
waynewilson417

Re: No one cares

Post by waynewilson417 »

Weekdays are tough for me to do a meeting and I'm all for having meetings, but as it was mentioned before, I really don't care to hear about Alaskan fishing stories or whatnot. I want to make fishing stories.

90% of us work during the week, and me personally after a 12 hr shift, the last thing I want to do is drive on a Tuesday evening anywhere.

My not get the chapter members together for a fishing trip on the first Saturday of the month. Maybe everyone make a donation to pay for a kayak fishing guide.

I personally don't want to stand around and trade fishing stories with the members here. I want to be on the water catching fish and learning different techniques with them.

I'm about an hour and 15 mins from the ack location in spring and even further from rei. But the NW chapter is the closest chapter for me that seems to have any kind of activity. I would more than be down, as would my buddies that live close to me, to meet up once a month with the chapter on the water. During the week just doesn't work for me.

Maybe chapter fishing trips could be an option. For next months meeting. Make it on a weekend and I will be there.
AyJay
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by AyJay »

Been incredibly busy this summer. Its hard to communicate meetings to everyone. You almost have to advertize them aggressively. A cooperative with PACK has been discussed before.
RobertoMM

Post by RobertoMM »

Hi Rich hope you are doing well and sorry to hear about the meetings I being busy the day that the meetings are but remember that on the first meeting we talk about doing a trip and someone to organize the first get together.... well I race my hand and no one came to the lake the day that we talk and I drive all the way to Conroe to fish by my self. and I was the same piss off for that. I am totally agree with waynewilson417.

I like meeting with everybody but after a long day the last thing I want to hear is how well someone did on a fishing adventure great for him and glad that he enjoy it but we are a KAYAK community!!! common guys, let go and do the meeting on the water, after that if is OK would we can go to a restaurant and share all the stories from the day... do that and I would be the first one to be there any time.

I want to fish and get out..

is nice to have the meetings maybe once every three months on a place like ACK that they can give us some advice or someone specific that can talk about anything that we do when we fish for everybody to learn. that would definitely attract more of us.

you know that I am exited to be part of the group but most of the times and every chance I have I am on the water.

Be safe hope we can get together and paddle together soon.
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

I just joined today and I don't have my kayak yet, but I can see the issue with having meetings when you are in kayaks to get wet (or slimed)... with that said, I think a 'club' would also want to take care of it's own, and I for one will take any instruction I can get. I fully intend on getting in on anything I can once I get my kayak later this month. I would have loved to have gone and learned different knots, but a day on the water maybe buddying up with someone would work as well. I like the idea of a chapter with people around me so we have at least geography in common.

But I say don't give up, Rich. If you are taking the initiative to do it, and someone is learning something (which it sounds like you at least did) then maybe the meetings aren't all that bad. Some people are just in it for the fish, some are in it for friends and some for friends and instruction. I'm in it for all of the above.

Ben
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Now that I've purchased my Gheenoe, we really ought to find someone who wants to head up the NW kayakers. Rich
FlounderPounder15

Post by FlounderPounder15 »

richg99 wrote:Now that I've purchased my Gheenoe, we really ought to find someone who wants to head up the NW kayakers. Rich

I would.... But have way too much school but would be willing to help bring it back
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

I agree. I would help with whatever I could, but I am no way, shape or form the person to run it. I just don't have enough knowledge, seeing as how I haven't even fished out of a kayak as of yet. I think it's a good idea for a chapter, and even if it's just 7 or 8 people that show up, those 7 or 8 are gathering knowledge and experience that others aren't getting. If someone wants to step up and run with the ball, I'm all for doing everything I can to assist.

Ben
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

If you find a solution please share..

I've gone out of my way to organize several Katy/Sugarland meetings. 1 Maybe 2 show up max!!
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

There might not be a solution. I know here at work, we have a union and it's like pulling teeth to get people to show up on their spare time to the meetings. Which, considering the meetings were about the agreement of their JOBS and PAY, is very amazing. I was always involved, because the knowledge gleamed in the meeting was another weapon to add to your arsenal with work. But, typically, it was the same five or six people who showed up to every event. Those people had all the knowledge and became officers and the ones who didn't were always upset at being left out. I think active recruiting was the only way to keep it going. So, maybe personal messages sent to anyone who joins tkf with a geography listed in their opening hello inviting them to join this group and get involved?

I don't know, I am just spit-balling, but seeing as how I am at work, it can't hurt me to get paid to write this. :D

Ben
Shredded_Wheat

Post by Shredded_Wheat »

I didn't know that there was a Katy/Sugarland group until tonight when going through Facebook. I think that using a more regularly used form of communication such as Facebook is a better way than trying to post primarily online on TKF as I for one forget to checkout the chapter information in the list of forum subjects (when I see a meeting it has usually passed and I wish that I would have gone).

As a newcomer and I hope to go the next NW chapter meeting; is maybe doing some workshops at someone's house, have people bring their kayaks and help them rig them (some people might be afraid to drill into their kayaks by themselves :lol: ). Definitely setup some group outings to go fishing (variety saltwater/freshwater/camping trips), people that have an extra kayak...offer to bring along for people that are new to kayaking (post an outing with "x" # of available loaner kayaks and have people sign up to try it). Look at outside avenues to bring people into "the addiction", someone from work, church, friend, posted on your own timeline on facebook a week before "To all my facebook friends in Houston, the NW Houston or Katy/Sugarland Group is having a meeting at etc....., anyone looking to get into kayaking please join me", etc... I know that everyone is busy but I also think that if you build friendships (ie watch a football game together, go to the shooting range, touch on other topics...ie camping, etc..) it would also strengthen the group/chapter.

My 2 cents...
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

As someone who is still trying to get into the sport, I love the idea of a buddy yak day. I don't own a kayak yet, and want to make sure I get my funds all in order before I go charging off into the great blue yonder..
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Shredded_Wheat wrote:I didn't know that there was a Katy/Sugarland group until tonight when going through Facebook. I think that using a more regularly used form of communication such as Facebook is a better way than trying to post primarily online on TKF as I for one forget to checkout the chapter information in the list of forum subjects (when I see a meeting it has usually passed and I wish that I would have gone).

As a newcomer and I hope to go the next NW chapter meeting; is maybe doing some workshops at someone's house, have people bring their kayaks and help them rig them (some people might be afraid to drill into their kayaks by themselves :lol: ). Definitely setup some group outings to go fishing (variety saltwater/freshwater/camping trips), people that have an extra kayak...offer to bring along for people that are new to kayaking (post an outing with "x" # of available loaner kayaks and have people sign up to try it). Look at outside avenues to bring people into "the addiction", someone from work, church, friend, posted on your own timeline on facebook a week before "To all my facebook friends in Houston, the NW Houston or Katy/Sugarland Group is having a meeting at etc....., anyone looking to get into kayaking please join me", etc... I know that everyone is busy but I also think that if you build friendships (ie watch a football game together, go to the shooting range, touch on other topics...ie camping, etc..) it would also strengthen the group/chapter.

My 2 cents...
You have some good ideas here.

I would be willing to lead the group again but I now live in Katy. So the meetings / gatherings would be somewhere in the Katy or west Houston area.

We had some success with the NW group a few years ago. Speakers brought the crowd initially and then we went in house for topics, met at restaurants, did some small group trips, etc. Some of the best kayak fishermen on TKF were in the group so new folks always acquired some great insight and knowledge. Also, a few of us are good friends and still fish together regularly.

Let me know if you guys are interested and I will move forward organizing a group.
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I'm in!
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I still have the last email list... Let me know where you want it sent. rich
Djrodeo

Post by Djrodeo »

I don't think I need to say this, but I am in. My work schedule is erratic, but rest assured if I can make a meeting I will, even though so I am still not floating.

Getting tired of trying to walk to fishing spots. Maybe I need to let Rich adopt me.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

Ha ha. Some of my very best days fishing Galveston bay was simply wading on. Reds; trout; and flounders. If I didn't need a new knee, I'd probably still do a lot of it. Rich
Blue Tick

Post by Blue Tick »

I'm still in and would like to get back to meeting. Enjoyed the few meetings I was able to attend. Hopefully we can get this going again.
BlackRifle

Post by BlackRifle »

Everyone is welcome to come out to the Katy area monthly meet and greet.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 0&t=208725" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.facebook.com/groups/KatyTKF/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Attachments
photo (10).JPG
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

Sorry to hear. I quit going due to my own health problems and a death in the family. All have since been resolved and I took early retirement. If this starts back up, I would be happy to attend. But maybe instead of monthly meetings we could have quarterly meetings. Just a thought since it is hard for some people due to family and work. Also maybe start them earlier and people could stop on their way home from work. Have them at a restaurant instead of a meeting room, so people could enjoy a meal or a drink... Just some thoughts.
I had the same problems with the women's chapter, Our last outing was only 3 members.

Karen
Gofish!
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Gofish! »

What about a NW chapter fishing trip?
Forever Fishing
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Forever Fishing »

I'm game. Post up and let's try.
gonefishin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by gonefishin »

I would be game too :D
habanerojooz

Post by habanerojooz »

Many years ago, I organized several meetings in the Katy area. We usually had great turnouts, door prizes (rods) donated from Academy, TKF swag for sale, etc. I invited speakers to come and we'd pass the hat to cover the speaker's gasoline and time. Some of the West Houston people may remember those events.

Then life got in the way and I stopped organizing events.

As an organizer, you give your time and do your best to make it fun. You'll usually get a lot of responses that people will show up. But people are busy and sometimes they can't make it. If very few people show up, you'll soon feel that it is a waste of your time and you'll lose interest in giving your time to be the organizer. Kudos to all that have tried.

Sounds like West Houston has a FB page and a group of followers. I don't FB so I never see those announcements. Seems like those events should be posted on TKF for all to see, unless that group is meant to be private.
txislander671

Post by txislander671 »

habanerojooz wrote:Many years ago, I organized several meetings in the Katy area. We usually had great turnouts, door prizes (rods) donated from Academy, TKF swag for sale, etc. I invited speakers to come and we'd pass the hat to cover the speaker's gasoline and time. Some of the West Houston people may remember those events.

Then life got in the way and I stopped organizing events.

As an organizer, you give your time and do your best to make it fun. You'll usually get a lot of responses that people will show up. But people are busy and sometimes they can't make it. If very few people show up, you'll soon feel that it is a waste of your time and you'll lose interest in giving your time to be the organizer. Kudos to all that have tried.

Sounds like West Houston has a FB page and a group of followers. I don't FB so I never see those announcements. Seems like those events should be posted on TKF for all to see, unless that group is meant to be private.
It is true what you explained... We all have busy lives typically.. I know for sure that whenever I get a chance to fish, I get to relax and forget about the daily grind... That's why it's better we stay connected and communicate with each other as a chapter to try and make fish trips memorable. I don't specifically have a facebook page myself. I do have Instagram. I'll be willing to create an Instagram page/account to help get us connected and share pictures and info..

txislander671