Texoma skunk

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Texoma skunk

Post by Earl »

Put in near Platter Flats at 6:30 and paddled over to Washita pt. So what gives? This is the 5th time this summer I have paddled Texoma in a north wind. This morning it was like a early November front just without the cool air. That wind was gusting to 20+ with southbound white caps.

Paddled several miles west from Washita back toward the islands then turned around. I got a couple of really nice hits with one being a bit serious on a 20# braid spool. Never set the hook.

Back in the truck by 11 and home by noon.

Maybe off to the Buffalo River next week. The river is currently up with more rain expected and the temperature forecast is absolutely unbelievable. 70s and 50s with Friday night forecast low of 48. Just hard to pass up this opportunity.

Then off to the coast 2 weekends back to back.

SYOTW,

Earl
fishinmachine

Re: Texoma skunk

Post by fishinmachine »

Sorry about the skunk, Earl. At least the temperature wasn't smoking hot while you got a few paddling miles in. The Buffalo sounds great! I have paddled the White and Norfork in AR, and many of the Ozark streams in southern MO, but have not floated the Buffalo. I hope the mild temperatures and favorable flows hold for your trip.
GoDoe
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by GoDoe »

Where are those stripers. All reports I am getting from guides and fishing buddies say there just isn't any topwater action. We got skunked a couple of weekends ago and that was from the PB. We covered a lot of area and never saw any fish busting the top.

John
BOPGUNNER

Post by BOPGUNNER »

Hey DFW Gang, I been thinking of a road trip with some buddy's to Ark. And run the Buffalo. Would it be to cold to do a late Sept. Or Oct. trip or should we do an early spring trip. Thanks Gunner
Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Earl »

The weather patterns are certainly different this year here in North Texas. I am not sure if that is the reason the topwater action is off but the lake is different this year. The stripers up there certainly go through cycles and I think we are in one right now. Personally it seems to me that there are more larger fish and the smaller ones are fewer and slim. I was up there again yesterday and did not see any topwater. I did spot a few one offs by very large stripers.

As for my Buffalo trip, I did go and spent Thurs-Sat paddling 45 miles from Ozark to Grinder Ferry. Jacob one of my 14yr olds went with me. It was very cool with lows in the 50s and highs in the 70s and plenty of water in the river from last weeks rain. This is almost unheard of in August, hence my reason for going. I will post a trip report soon.

BOPgunner, Sept and Oct should be fine if there is water in the river. The leaves start to turn about mid Oct. Depends on what you consider cold. I would think you could see some mornings in the 40s.

SYOTW,

Earl
BOPGUNNER

Post by BOPGUNNER »

Thanks Earl, Alway like read about your trips. My Brother and I were in on the great freeze trip a few years back . So 32* & water of 50* Is cold to us , but not sure we want to do a freeze trip again.