Mansfield again

hardheadted

Mansfield again

Post by hardheadted »

Heading out on the morning for Mansfield again. If anyone's around just look for the old brown f150 with the camper and the red Pescador 12 sport on the water towards the dam.
hardheadted

Re: Mansfield again

Post by hardheadted »

Actually did pretty good today. 20-25 perch, 10 keepers and half a dozen bass with one keeper.. Yes, I eat the fish I catch to supplement my grocery bill! I think I'm figuring this place out, top waters, worked extremely slow and these fish explode on your lure!! Going again tomorrow and maybe Saturday morning.
hardheadted

Post by hardheadted »

Went again today and came home with another 10 big perch. A young man fishing from the bank taught me something today. He was using perch and fishing in an area I hadn't tried and he caught 3 or 4 bass that weighed 3-4 lbs then hooked an 8 pounder.. Helped him take pictures and picked his brain some. Found out he has fished there his whole life and he was in his 40's and he shared his knowledge freely. I did the same for what it was worth.. I keep fishing there and one day it will come together..
hickoxp

Post by hickoxp »

nice story. I would like to take my wife and nephew to do some perch fishing. Mind sharing that area you were in?
hardheadted

Post by hardheadted »

Yeah, I am fishing between the low water crossing below Mansfield Dam and the dam itself. The water there is very clear and cold coming off the bottom of Lake Travis. I would go in the morning or early afternoon because they start releasing water in the afternoon to generate electricity. You could use yellow corn, meal worms or artificials. I use a gold and black back 2" floating rapala. I just toss in out by the rocks or weed patches in the middle and let it set. The perch or bass even will knock it outa the water as it sits there. Pretty cool to watch. I haven't been skunked there so far, and some of the perch are big, 8-9" and fat!!
Johninaustin
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Johninaustin »

How deep is it there these days? Years ago it was quite deep but then they ran the floodgates and built up a lot of rock downstream. Used to catch stripers off of the low water crossing back in the 80's, Not deep enough for them now.
hardheadted

Post by hardheadted »

The deepest it is between the low water bridge and the dam where you can go is about 6 1/2 ft. Most of it is less than 4 but it is loaded with fish. Helped a guy on the bank with an 8 lb bass. I caught a mess of white bass during the run this year there. I'm catching big perch there now, up to 9" before the water is released in the afternoon. Also catching bass there too. There are some huge fresh water drum there and tons, and I mean tons of big carp there.. I really like the cold water and the fact that it is clear on most days..