Penn Spinfisher ?

MirrodineEC

Penn Spinfisher ?

Post by MirrodineEC »

I have had 2 battle ( 2000 for marsh 4000 for surf ) and they both treat me very well. But is the spinfisher V worth the upgrade from the battle. I really like that the gearbox on the spinfisher is sealed and can see how this would benefit me.
jefferymac

Re: Penn Spinfisher ?

Post by jefferymac »

I had high hopes for this reel and I bought two of them not long after they came out -- a 5500 for one of my surf rods and a 3500 for a kayak rig. Honestly I have mixed feelings about the reels.

The good:
- The 'water tight' gearbox seems to work. I've dunked my 5500 a couple of times, and never had a drop of water in the reel.
- The drag is super smooth
- Parts are easy to find

The bad:
- Very heavy
- Some of the materials used in the reel leave a bit to be desired. For instance, the first time I took my 5500 apart, the screws that hold the plate and seal near the handle were so soft that I couldn't get them out without seriously stripping them. Had to order a new set of screws from Penn Parts. I've read other reports of folks stripping the gears on these things with the drag clamped down.

The ugly:
- The smaller reel quickly developed a 'click', once per crank, that is only apparent when the reel is under load. I've looked around on the net for a solution and apparently this is not uncommon. It doesn't affect the function of the reel, and I haven't gotten annoyed enough to send it back to Penn yet, but it's not something I would have expected considering the price I paid for this thing.
surfpunk
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by surfpunk »

Penns are made in China now. The gears are weak, the hardware is weak. USA made Penns are amazing. Chinese Penns are doo doo.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Love my spin V it handled the salt well this season. I rinsed it and that's it.
Fishon2

Post by Fishon2 »

shhh wrote:Penns are made in China now. The gears are weak, the hardware is weak. USA made Penns are amazing. Chinese Penns are doo doo.

The Penn International, Penn Torque Spinners & Conv, and the Baja Specials are still made here, love them, for offshore blue water boat fishing, I have the older Made USA Penn Spinfisher 8500 SS and 7500 SS, I use fro Tuna Popping they are rock solid reels....

I use my Made in Sweden ABU Garcia Ambassadors inshore in my yak...