Chasing Stripers on Texoma

Earl
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Chasing Stripers on Texoma

Post by Earl »

I was able to get out 3 days this past weekend and break in my new Hobie TI on Lake Texoma chasing stripers. I guess that beats chasing strippers.

Friday AM I was on the water by 8:20 am with a 23 degree start and the promise of 55 for a high and a south wind later in the day. I put in a Platter Flats and eased out toward the main lake to find 5-10 knot winds and a quiet lake. The lake is currently ~8ft low which is about as low as I have seen in 8-10yrs. I was after stripers but it was a cold clear blue bird day so my expectations were dropping as there were no birds to be seen working anywhere in sight. There were some guide boat buzzing about but did not see them with any bent poles. I set sail to Rocky Point and the puttered around Grandpappy marina a bit then hit a beach for a cup of hot tea. I then sailed back across the lake to West Burns run and beached for some lunch next to some warm rocks in the sun. At this point this had turned into a sailing trip as there were still no birds to be seen. I then took off and sailed to Preston Point and all the way back west almost to the North Island. The wind had pick up and I was able to hold a steady 6 knots with spurts to 8-10. I made my final tack about 2pm and headed back to Platter Flats about 7.6 miles to the East. The day turned out well for only my 2nd time on the new TI. I was very pleased with the way this boat handles. I have sailed and raced many boats over the years and find this one to be an incredible joy to be out on even in 23 degree weather. The boat when trimmed properly is easy at the helm and will move to windward relatively well with no problems solo. I did not have the opportunity to sail it directly downwind but on a beam reach to slightly down it really took off. The max wind speed for the day was probably only 15 with only moderate chop on the water so I did not get a chance to put it to any test but did cover a total of 31 miles for the day.

Saturday AM I was on the water about 8:00 AM with much warmer temps to start, in the low 40s. I made my way to the main lake and as I approached I could hear the surf. The wind was up to 25-30 and the white caps were growling. This would be a test. I was trolling lines but quickly reeled them in as it would be pointless at these speeds. I had to quickly reef the sail in and did that a couple of times until I had the boat well balanced for hard on the wind with port tack headed toward Washita point 2 miles to the west. The waves were up to 3 ft and breaking frequently. After about a mile I decided today was not a good day to but this boat to the test. With every bounce I could see the port amas bouncing and sliding on the forward aka. I never saw it come off all the way but kept thinking if it did I was going to get wet. Even with a wetsuit on if I were to break this boat it would be a cold story to tell if I was around to tell it. I came about and headed back in. Wow, once on a starboard quarter reach the boat accelerated and I had to reef more sail to slow that boat down. The port amas was completely submerging at times. Once I got it slowed down that was better but the breakers where slamming to boat around and at times you thought it was going pitch it forward. A few minutes later and I was back into the calm waters protected by Platter Flats. There would be no fish this day either. I loaded up and was home by 11:30. Enough time to work on Christmas lights. I very much believe in getting to know your boat and always feel the need to see what breaks first in heavy weather. I will just have wait for warmer water to get the boat out and pitch it and roll it I want to push it but know that is going to have to wait.

Sunday AM I was on the water by 7:45 and it was much warmer at 53 degrees and cloudy. Once I got to the main lake the wind was about 15-20 with moderate chop and a few white caps. I headed out toward Washita Point and was about 3/4 to one mile out when my Birdar went off. I turned around and sure enough lots of birds hitting the water about 1/2to 3/4 mile back to the east. Time to come about and chase some stripers, the hunt was on. I was on top of the action in minutes. As I approached I reefed in the sail and pedaled into the fray. I did not get a chance to reel in the lines to start casting as both lines were screaming. Worked on the first one and he spit it out quickly. The 2nd one I had up to the boat and he decided against being the Christening material. Put the lines back out and pedaled and then bam both lines again. By now there is a Bass boat on the scene and I landed both fish with them circling me. With both fish in the boat I got the lines back out and pedaled back to the birds then bam both lines again and landed two more nice fish with both being over 24". I circled around and proceeded to land 3 more over 21" fish but released them. I kept 4 fish for the day. Now it was time to play with the boat a bit with the nice temps and wind. I sailed to Preston Point and then back to the truck and was home by 12:20 in time to help the in laws with their Christmas lights and see my oldest son off to college.

I can't wait to get this boat salty. Probably headed to the Fulton Rockport vicinity in Feb. Then of course some BTB this summer. After Saturdays visualization of the ama coming off of the aka I decided to make the modification that Crazy Yak did to his. This worked much better during Sunday's outing and only witnessed slight movement. My homemade roll bar (rod holder) worked well but may make a slight modification to allow the sheet to move more freely when tacking. I will also be adding some Railblaza mounts for nav lights, Go Pro, rod holders and VHF/GPS during these winter months. Here are a few pictures.

Standing up front after launch.
On the beach
Tea Time
Sunday AM
Fishy

SYOTW,

Earl
fishinmachine

Re: Chasing Stripers on Texoma

Post by fishinmachine »

Thanks for the great report, Earl. Sounds like you've done it right... a couple of trips to get comfortable with the new vessel, then you slimed it in grand fashion chasing gulls on the lake. I hope your next trip is as enjoyable as these obviously were!