Kayaks Wave of the Future says TF&G

Tarpon Man

Kayaks Wave of the Future says TF&G

Post by Tarpon Man »

Full title of this article is "Kayaks Wave of the Future-Like it or Not" by Chester Moore in January 05 issue of Texas fish & Game magaazine on Page 48. States that more and more Texas coastal fishing will be done by yak fishermen/women due to a variety of factors such as regulations, closer to the fish, etc. etc. This is a good 2-3 page article and is very good news for us yak fish heads sports fans!!!!!!!!!! He quotes several guides who have switched to using yaks instead of their bay boats. Also good article on extreme kayak fishing beginning on page 56. Happy New Year All :D :D
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kingwood Kayaker »

I think TF&G is the worst magazine I've ever seen.

But I think they're probably right on this subject. :lol:
Toyaker
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Toyaker »

I sent him an email as I was alittle disappointed with the title, makes it sound like there is a competition b/w kayaks and powerboats. He responded very quickly and siad it was not his title, someone else picked it.
I did invite him to peruse the TKF site and told him if he wanted to get out in a yak more, contact anyone of us here to show him the "ropes." Who knows, somone may get a "call" from him.
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I can't stand the way they do their articles now. "21 tips to catch trout" "12 ideas for deer hunting" "84 lures to catch bass" They look like a tabloid cover. It used to be one of the better magazines out there, but a change in leadership sent them in the wrong direction. The only saving grace for me was the fly fishing section and now it's gone too.

All that said, I was asked to submit some things for their new Lakes and Bays '05-'06 Atlas. I did it for business reasons and I got to put my .02 worth in about how bad their mag was getting. They said thanks, but we know what we're doing.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

It was a great mag when Larry Bozka was the editor but since he left it's gone down the tube....
Lefty Ray
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Lefty Ray »

Not defending the magazine, but they are actually doing better now than in the past. Their circulation is one of the largest around. They are catering to their demographics which is bass fishing and hunters. Thats why fly fishing has been scaled back (but not eliminated). Look for a Bud Priddy One Fly Contest article coming in the April issue.

Editors pick the titles and captions and only sometimes use the suggested ones by the writer.

I admit the magazine does do not appeal to me, but the staff is loaded with award winning writers and they do a good job at their target audience.

Last note: Their bowhunting writer is none other than Ted Nugent of rock n roll fame. He is relocating from Michigan and moving to Crawford, TX. He will be the Bush's neighbor (to some degree).
let's go
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by let's go »

I'd have to guess that their circulation is greatly boosted by giving away a subscription with CCA STAR registration. That's the only reason I still get it. I don't think I'd pay for it.
Spuds (Piscator Eximius)
TKF 6000 Club
TKF 6000 Club
Location: Houston (The Heights)Texas <'))))>°{ . N 29.45.24 W 95.21.19

Post by Spuds (Piscator Eximius) »

let's go wrote:I'd have to guess that their circulation is greatly boosted by giving away a subscription with CCA STAR registration. That's the only reason I still get it. I don't think I'd pay for it.

Same here....unless they dump the sensationalistic and adversarial attitudes.

Glad to see them include an article about kayaks however, and it is definately a step in the right direction.

I still stick with what I said about the magazine a while back:

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... hp?p=46048

Guess I should have also stated that Gulf Coast Connections is one of my favorite mags. Especially now that they have a famous kayak writer. :P

Post by Guest »

This is typical of hard headed narrow minded Texans that when someone pays you a compliment you jump or dump all over them. Thank god none of you are in any real positions of authority of anything important. TF&G is one of only 2 or 3 at most fishin or hunting magazines devoted primarily to Texas hunt and fish. Good grief what a bunch of AOs. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: What else is there out there. You can quick bitchin and start your own magazine on Texas hunt and fish. What a laugh you are. :P :P :P :P :P
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Anonymous wrote:This is typical of hard headed narrow minded Texans that when someone pays you a compliment you jump or dump all over them. Thank god none of you are in any real positions of authority of anything important. TF&G is one of only 2 or 3 at most fishin or hunting magazines devoted primarily to Texas hunt and fish. Good grief what a bunch of AOs. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: What else is there out there. You can quick bitchin and start your own magazine on Texas hunt and fish. What a laugh you are. :P :P :P :P :P

Wow, someone's a little cranky today. Their binky must be stuck under the couch. :lol:

Who cares if it's a Texas publication. It's is what it is. If it's a bad product, then it's not worth reading, my subscription $$'s, or my time.

Phil
MarkT
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by MarkT »

Obviously, our Guest has never read Texas Fish and Game Magazine(post Bozka).
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

MarkT wrote:Obviously, our Guest has never read Texas Fish and Game Magazine(post Bozka).

LOL - I hear ya, Mark. They must have good pictures.
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Jumping Jehosaphats! Since TF&G is primarily devoted to Texas, it must be the best thing since Sam Houston! We shouldn't have a negative opinion on it since it is devoted to Texas. We should embrace it and hold it close to our bosom!

Rubbish, Cabin Boy #1!!! When you graduate junior high school, you'll see that folks are entitled to their opinions and shouldn't be chastised by an anonymous coward for the own, personal opinions. :P

I'll be happy when x-mas break is over for the schools. :wink:

I never liked TF&G and ain't gonna start unless they make some changes. I haven't read it for 3 years and don't plan on starting.
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

I wonder if the cabin boy has anything to do with the rag ??
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Errrr.... CaptJack, what happened to your CaptJack in the Box avatar? I miss you.... I mean, it.

Mrs. B
Newt
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Newt »

If ya'll would just ignore the CABIN BOYS. They wouldn't post so much.
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

That thought crossed my mind too, Capt. Jack.

I was doing some work around the house and that thought ran through my mind. Oh well.

Phil
CaptJack
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by CaptJack »

BUT Newt- It's a SLOW day it gives us somethin' ta play with 8)
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

Tell em' CaptJ.. LOL.

Post by Guest »

As a long time Texas hunter, RV camper and fishererman I find most issues of the TF&G to be full of useful info and advice on my areas of interest. For 4 $$ per issue this is good value and large numbers of Texans buy this each month. I skip over the editorial BS and appreciate Chester Moore's many articles promoting kayak fishin. Don't know what all ruckus is about but I suppose all those large number of Texans buying TF&G are idiots except for snobs on the TKF forum. Happy Trails to ya pilgrims. YakHead :D :D :D
Kingwood Kayaker
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Glad you find it useful. But not everyone has to agree.

Phil
Mrs Backlasher
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Mrs Backlasher »

Barnacle Bill wrote:... I never liked TF&G and ain't gonna start unless they make some changes. I haven't read it for 3 years and don't plan on starting.

I was about to scold "Guest" for his comments. Until I saw this.

Bill, that does seem a bit snobbish. How will you know whether they've made changes if you don't read it now and then???

I think it's possible to voice opinions without attacking each other - TKF members or guests. Let's all play nice.

Big Mama B
Barnacle Bill
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Barnacle Bill »

I didn't attack anyone. I simply said I didn't like it. My opinion. I shouldn't be called a snob for not liking a particular magazine. It has nothing to do with snobbishness. It just ain't my cup of tea.

It's possible that I could be a snot, LOL. :P :P

Although, I do tend to only date women who make a good living, have great fringe benefits at their jobs (travel, parties) and can continue to support me and treat me to the life to which I've become accustomed to. Is that snobbish? LOL.. :P :P :P :P :P
Kelly Watson
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Kelly Watson »

While I won't comment pro or con about TFG mag. I will say that a great new paper is coming out of Dallas. www.lonestaroutdoornews.com It is former editors and photographers from TPWD mag. It comes out bi- weekly and is published from a very fresh point of view. Mags like TFG and TPWD are planned out months in advance and in some cases those articles were written about trips from last year. LSON mag is not afraid to criticize TPWD and will give a negative opinion of a service or product. unlike most others. At $1.50 per issue it is a bargain. They are having problems getting Academy and BPS to stock the mag due to purely political reasons, so as for now subscriptions are the best way to get one.
timbo
TKF 9000 Club
TKF 9000 Club

Post by timbo »

Cabin Boy wrote: I skip over the editorial BS and appreciate Chester Moore's many articles promoting kayak fishin. YakHead :D :D :D

Just how many articles about kayaking has Chester Moore wrote?