Help needed for San Gabrial in Williamson County

Granger07

Help needed for San Gabrial in Williamson County

Post by Granger07 »

There is a primitive boat launching site outside of Granger on road 347 Comanche Bluff. The road to this site is totally in need of repair. There are ruts up to 2' deep throughout the 1/8 mile journey to the unloading area and during rainy weather it is not possible to get to the loading area. I have called the COE and they stated that it would cost $80,000.00 fix the road and if it is safety issue they will close the park. If you can call Congressman John Carter (512)246-1600, the COE (512) 859-2668 or TPW Executive Dir. Carter Smith and voice your concerns. I understand that this area is not in most of your locality but it is a asset that need's attention. Please let any local fishing groups know of this concern. Once we lose it we will never get this landing back.
noethss

Re: Help needed for San Gabrial in Williamson County

Post by noethss »

Okay here's the deal you're posting on here for everyone to come together and fix a 1/8 section of road that you think needs repaired. You've already stated that if it becomes a safety concern they will close the park. I'm a local, I fish that area very regularly and I can tell you that getting to the boat ramp in my Nissan Altima has very seldom been a problem, yes the road is bumpy and full of ruts however I've never been stuck even during rainy weather. What's going to happen, is that people are going to call and complain based on your report and not having first-hand information on the actual issue at hand. It will end up being a typical one bad apple ruins the bunch, too many complaints will either cause them to put a gate up and deny access or start charging to use the primitive Boat-launch.

Once they fix the road do you expect them to fix the boat launch also, is that the next step?

To everyone else reading this post, yes the road does get bad however it's graded once a year I've been fishing there since 1998 and this is the first time I have encountered a complaint of this magnitude.
larry long shadows
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club
Location: East Houston May the wind be to your back when you Yak

Post by larry long shadows »

noethss wrote:Okay here's the deal you're posting on here for everyone to come together and fix a 1/8 section of road that you think needs repaired. You've already stated that if it becomes a safety concern they will close the park. I'm a local, I fish that area very regularly and I can tell you that getting to the boat ramp in my Nissan Altima has very seldom been a problem, yes the road is bumpy and full of ruts however I've never been stuck even during rainy weather. What's going to happen, is that people are going to call and complain based on your report and not having first-hand information on the actual issue at hand. It will end up being a typical one bad apple ruins the bunch, too many complaints will either cause them to put a gate up and deny access or start charging to use the primitive Boat-launch.

Once they fix the road do you expect them to fix the boat launch also, is that the next step?

To everyone else reading this post, yes the road does get bad however it's graded once a year I've been fishing there since 1998 and this is the first time I have encountered a complaint of this magnitude.
2x I know nothing of the area.. but I have always believed if it ain't broke and I can still use it well leave it be..
aggiejon

Post by aggiejon »

Granger,

Thanks for posting about that site. Didn't know there was a launching site around Granger. Good to know. Regarding the road, either the squeaky wheel will get some grease, or get sold in a garage sale. I'm glad to know of a new launch, regardless of the condition of the road. An 1/8th mile, I'll park in the road ditch and hike that. I bet the San Gabriel from just east of Georgetown to Granger would be a nice paddle after a good rain that would flush the deadfall out of the river and fill up some holes.
slowdrifter

Post by slowdrifter »

The core will get in there and fix it at some point. They do every year. If it gets too bad on a rainy day just drop it in 4x4 and ease on to the launch.