RISE Adaptive Sports Kick Off Summer Bash 5-31-2014

JFBedford

RISE Adaptive Sports Kick Off Summer Bash 5-31-2014

Post by JFBedford »

Sorry I'm late getting this post up. As always in May & September RISE Adaptive Sports (AKA Rise Adventures) will be having their kick off summer bash to showcase all of the various adaptive sports programs that they have available to people of various physical disability levels. It's a great program that offers many of the outdoor sports & activities that we all enjoy to our friends in the disabled community AT NO CHARGE. All of their programs are free to the participants & their families and are provided by volunteers such as yourself. TFF, TKF, Heroes on the Water, Mariner Sails, & the D/FW kayak fishing community have graciously provided our own equipment & volunteer plastic navy for 3 1/2 years now. I can tell you that prior to our involvement their Summer Bash kayaking demo consisted of 3 SINK's, 3 life jackets, 3 paddles & NO VOLUNTEERS manning the event. Since that time we've brought as many 30 various kayaks & 20 or so volunteers for 7 straight events. We've served as many as 150 disabled folks and their family members in 1 day by giving them the opportunity to enjoy something that many of us have the ability to do as a hobby and at our leisure. THANK YOU TO EVERYONE that has contributed in the past & hopefully some new faces that will come out to help in the future.

All that being said, it's getting close to the big day again & we need volunteers, kayaks (ESPECIALLY STABLE TANDEMS), PFD's, paddles, & able bodies to help out and give these folks an unforgettable opportunity or another shot at tackling lake Grapevine from a kayak despite their perceived physical limitations.

http://www.riseadaptivesports.org/wp/th ... pevine-tx/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's the event flyer, volunteers need to check in starting at 8am & we have to have our vehicles parked & out of the event area no later than about 8:30- 8:45 (trucks & wheelchairs don't exactly mix). We usually finish up taking our last participants out between 2:45 - 3pm and are easily out of there between 3:30- 4:00pm. There will be free food & drinks but we also usually have a few coolers with our own stuff as well. Volunteers can do everything from patrolling the area watching for participants in need of assistance, fitting PFD's, loading people in & out of wheelchairs or kayaks, paddling tandem kayaks for participants that need a little extra help, etc.

Please respond to this thread or contact me directly if you'd like to volunteer. I can promise you won't regret it & will leave at the end of the day knowing that you made a difference in someones life by helping them accomplish something that others would have simply said "you can't do that".

Thanks in advance!

Jason Foshea
Or feel free to PM me here
tenball

Re: RISE Adaptive Sports Kick Off Summer Bash 5-31-2014

Post by tenball »

My wife and I will be there always a lot of fun and great learning too! Anthony 214-642-3092
JFBedford

Re: RISE Adaptive Sports Kick Off Summer Bash 5-31-2014

Post by JFBedford »

tenball wrote:My wife and I will be there always a lot of fun and great learning too! Anthony 214-642-3092

Great Anthony, glad to have your help!!