North Padre fishing spots?

BrettinSA

North Padre fishing spots?

Post by BrettinSA »

I'm down for the weekend with my kayak and am looking for some good spots around north padre. How are the canals at night? Any advice is appreciated.
SAHunter1983
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: North Padre fishing spots?

Post by SAHunter1983 »

Lots of brown tide all along the bay side of N. padre when I was down last. Not looking good.
BrettinSA

Post by BrettinSA »

I saw several yaks about when coming over the bridge yesterday onto the island. I'll try my luck in those areas and see whats biting.
xcharged

Post by xcharged »

i've had decent luck paddling across to the old bridge across from that pier restaurant.
(late august)
that area has some boat traffic though, they'll cut right between you and the bridge running over trout to get to the mexquita flats.

when it gets hot you can duck under the bridge and watch the sheepshead feeding on the pilings
2manytoys

Post by 2manytoys »

canals at night, trout hang out just in the darkness from the underwater lights they spook real easy. we had our best luck just going out on commercial breaks casting a few times and going back in, or going light to light. Best lure was a small rapala gold bottom.
justletmein

Post by justletmein »

There's always Bird Island Basin. Few nice spots within paddling distance from there.
BrettinSA

Post by BrettinSA »

Well, I did pretty good along the Packery channel on Saturday. Caught a few keeper Reds and several dinks. Next time I'm down I'll try the lighted canals when I can join a few additional yakers for the tour.

Thanks for all the advice!
M T Stringer
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by M T Stringer »

Caught a double limit of reds in an hour and a half on the flats around Deadman's Hole...they were short striking the topwater so I would follow up with a paddle tail and nailed em every time.

All slots up to 27" in knee deep water, between 0700 and 0830.

Deadman's is on the bay side just North of the Island in the Son church and Corpus Christi Pass.