And now for something different...

Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

And now for something different...

Post by Prof. Salt »

I paddled out Friday in nasty conditions. Fisinmachine (Steve), his son Andy and Terry all met me on the beach for a day paddling the chop. It was overcast, the wind was blowing over 20 and seas were forecast at 2-3, but there were real sets of 4-5 footers rolloing through every minute or two. I decided to have some fun with this video, especially since it features me crashing in the surf. I did NOT turtle. Turtles involve upside down kayaks. The Raptor doesn't do upside down, so she doesn't turtle.

I wanted to have a little fun with this video and not take it too seriously. I lost a camera, but wasn't hurt. My little cobia was big enough for points in KW, even if it was too small for the fishbag. And none of my reels went into the wet sand. All in all it was an adventure that is a part of the BTB lifestyle we all enjoy. C'est la vie!

treysdaddy

Re: And now for something different...

Post by treysdaddy »

Great video. Fantastic production! Sorry about the spill!
DumpTruck

Post by DumpTruck »

Enjoyed it!
hookdem
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by hookdem »

Gnarly stuff.

Well you confirmed the big ones are out there and for that I thank you sir. And no I wouldn't call that a turtle at all sir, that's a save. Good one.

Nice edit, especially considering a cam was missing
fishinmachine

Post by fishinmachine »

I enjoyed your video, Glenn! Thanks for sharing it. You were not the only one to get wet that day. As I told you just before you paddled in, I had lost my front hatch cover while pulling tackle out to rig up that morning just outside the breakers. Rough as it was, I had a fair amount of water getting in through the hatch hole, but kept it bailed pretty well. Terry landed a nice king...like yours, it was on the way out to the platform, not near it. Andy wasn't feeling well and blanked that morning, and I caught a couple of spanish macks on a chrome jigging spoon. I gave Andy and Terry all of my gear except rods/reels for the surf reentry, knowing that my pointy kayak bow with missing hatch cover was going to make for an interesting ride. I made it past the third and second bars, but a larger wave caught me on the first bar. It lifted the rear of the kayak up far enough that the bow submerged and the whirlpool of seawater flowing into the hatch hole looked for a moment like a giant toilet bowl, flushing away any hopes of making a clean landing on the beach. I dragged my soggy self and 300 pound kayak up on the beach a few moments later and chalked that morning up to "just one of those days". I broke down and cleaned the reels that afternoon and fabricated a temporary hatch cover, too.

Saturday was much better.
b0okevin

Post by b0okevin »

nice video. sorry about your lost camera.
Mythman
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club
Location: Cypress.......watching the weather to go BTB fishing!

Post by Mythman »

Too bad about the camera loss, Glenn...................I slowed your video down and I believe your left leg knocked it off when you went into the water.

But as all BTB'ers know, you go out and back in through the surf, enough, Sh*& will happen. That's part of the allure of BTB, not just big fish but the challenge and adventure.

Wouldn't surprise me to see you back on the water faster than you can replace your lost camera!! :clap:
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

We do share the disease, Mike! As soon as students are dismissed today I'm heading back out to get me fix for the week.

Forecast for this weekend is 4-5 foot seas and I need to pick up my youngest from camp. This is my best shot for the week and with today's forecast, I'm jumping in with a float on my one camera determined to make it work.
Bwells

Post by Bwells »

Forecast looks good, PINS cam looks pretty flat.....go get em.
prolog22

Post by prolog22 »

This is the best camera view of the action (side view) I have seen!
Thanks for sharing.
btbrich2110

Post by btbrich2110 »

Yea I guess we all have taken a dump! :lol: :lol: :lol: Great video! 8)
Chief Brody
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Chief Brody »

from wiki "capsizing (or keeling over) is when a boat or ship is turned on its side or it is upside down." Pretty close in my book...if you were in competitive turtleing, I'd give you an 8.5...

When watching the end of it, I instinctively grabbed the side of my chair at the office - it worked for me, I didn't fall out.

it's a cool video prof, thanks for posting.
smokedcuda

Post by smokedcuda »

One of the best non-turtling "events" I have seen, your facial expression just prior to the roll was classic. Showed the wife and she said "I dont understand ya'll, that does not look like fun at all" A few months ago I put her in my cuda, walked her out about 50 yards and shoved her in front of a small wave coming in so she could surf it into the sand. She screamed the whole way back but made it all the way to shore. Hate to hear the leviathan king got away would have liked to see the pics of that beast, but that's what keeps you coming back.
Crazy Yak
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by Crazy Yak »

Some days you just can't win, been there done that several times. I shouted at the screen when you lost the King!
Prof. Salt
TKF 4000 Club
TKF 4000 Club

Post by Prof. Salt »

fishinmachine wrote:I enjoyed your video, Glenn! Thanks for sharing it. You were not the only one to get wet that day. As I told you just before you paddled in, I had lost my front hatch cover while pulling tackle out to rig up that morning just outside the breakers. Rough as it was, I had a fair amount of water getting in through the hatch hole, but kept it bailed pretty well. Terry landed a nice king...like yours, it was on the way out to the platform, not near it. Andy wasn't feeling well and blanked that morning, and I caught a couple of spanish macks on a chrome jigging spoon. I gave Andy and Terry all of my gear except rods/reels for the surf reentry, knowing that my pointy kayak bow with missing hatch cover was going to make for an interesting ride. I made it past the third and second bars, but a larger wave caught me on the first bar. It lifted the rear of the kayak up far enough that the bow submerged and the whirlpool of seawater flowing into the hatch hole looked for a moment like a giant toilet bowl, flushing away any hopes of making a clean landing on the beach. I dragged my soggy self and 300 pound kayak up on the beach a few moments later and chalked that morning up to "just one of those days". I broke down and cleaned the reels that afternoon and fabricated a temporary hatch cover, too.

Saturday was much better.
I was sure glad to hear that Andy got himself a king Saturday. He seems to be a good kid, and it's really nice to see him have success to match that can-do spirit. Nice job getting him out there, Steve!
Tagdog

Post by Tagdog »

Great video!
CoastieCulture
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by CoastieCulture »

Always a great read in the btb section!
fiSh ZoMbiE