Micro Skiff?

txbrett

Micro Skiff?

Post by txbrett »

So...I've been in Fort Walton Beach, FL all week on vacation. Passed a couple places in Destin that have micro skiffs out front. I'm gonna start researching these, and was wondering if anybody in Texas makes them. Can y'all point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

Brett
WRsteveX

Re: Micro Skiff?

Post by WRsteveX »

Not that im aware of but soloskiff will ship you one. Bout $500 to Houston last I read
Cruisin_Cuda
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club
Location: Cypress, Tx- Earth JK Cruise, Urban Camo JK Cuda 14, Camo Hobie Outback

Post by Cruisin_Cuda »

nope, you better buy one in florida and bring it back home. otherwise shipping isn't cheap or just wait for the next vacation and be ready then!
Nano-Skiff
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Nano-Skiff »

You can find them on craigslist SOMETIMES. they dont last long.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

Micro skiffs, none made in Texas or anywhere nearby that I am aware of. I found several manufacturers but all in Florida, and not the Florida near us. More like central Florida. I found an East Cape Gladesmen in San Antonio, but that was after an intesive search for 2 months on Craigslist.
The only Micro skiff I have seen for sale new has been an occasional Solo Skiff.
There is on place around Houston that had a couple of Pelican Ambush for sale. I don't have the location but if you contact Pelican, I am sure you can find the dealer. Pretty cool craft in my opinion.
h_10

Post by h_10 »

I'm selling my Ankonda Native SUV 17'. I love the boat but unfortunately never had time to fish anymore. Engine has less than 50 hours on it. PM me if interested.
h_10

Post by h_10 »

To the PMs I received, it's a 2011 model. It is the 5th boat completed for the current (new) SUV line. The engine is a 2012 Tohatsu 40 TDLDI. Original owner barely used it, probably less than 5 times. I've used it 8 times in the 1.5 years that I've had it.

I'll send pics this weekend.
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

Thanks for the info. Sounds like something that haven't taken off in Texas yet. Anyway...happy Friday from FL!
Attachments
image.jpg
BEN

Post by BEN »

I have a 1999 Pathfinder 17T that I am getting ready to sell. This boat has been sold from ex Kayaker to Kayaker 2 times. I am the 3rd owner. runs like a top. low hours on the engine. need some minor gelcoat work, but is ready to fish now. Between work and my kids other hobbies I dont have time for a boat.
Attachments
BOAT RAIDER.jpg
BOAT RAIDER.jpg (34.71 KiB) Viewed 11649 times
BOAT TOWER POWER POLL.jpg
BOAT TOWER POWER POLL.jpg (32.64 KiB) Viewed 11649 times
BOAT.jpg
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Pelican ambush
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1409364761.588622.jpg
txbrett

Post by txbrett »

vincent wrote:Pelican ambush
Would that carry 2 people, Vincent? It looks like Pelican makes a few different models that are pretty nice. Do they have a dealer in Texas?
billy bobba
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by billy bobba »

You might want to ask questions here as well --

http://www.microskiff.com/cgi-bin/yabb2/YaBB.pl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

I think one of the most untapped markets in Texas boat manufacturing is poling skiff. I cant see how or why boat builders here don't do it. Sightcasting/poling/technical/flyfishing is growing like a wildfire here and it sucks to see that none of the builders will take a chance. If I had the money I'd start one or at least get the ball rolling with another builder to produce a skiff. The demand is there. Were importing poling skiffs here like crazy, I don't see why we can't build them in state and at more reasonable prices then the Florida boatbuilders. It wouldn't be a strain on an existing builder because if you have a plug, just make them to order. I could go on and on about this but I hope a builder here wises up soon and starts pumping these out. They would really get a strong market hold here.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

I've owned a couple of Gheenoes. No doubt that that boat has found its fans here in TX.

I suspect that the dealers are afraid that selling a nice hull in TX for a $1,000 or so would destroy their other, high-priced boat sales. They are right. It would.
Only way we get micros is for someone to build them by themselves. The shipping costs are rediculous and sky high right. now.

richg99
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

txbrett wrote:
vincent wrote:Pelican ambush
Would that carry 2 people, Vincent? It looks like Pelican makes a few different models that are pretty nice. Do they have a dealer in Texas?
Designed as a one person skiff. Pelican is coming out soon with another Ambush designed for two folks but the hull by itself is about $8,000.00
A lot of info on the Micro skiff sight mentioned earlier.
IPB (Inshore Power Boats) company has bee purchased by another company. To quote the salesman about the original 16' IPB hulls "they are crap".

I have found a couple of the Pelican Ambush for sale, but all in Florida around the central part.
The one in the pic from Vincent is one of the original models from Pelican. If memory serves me its rated for 6hp and he mounted a 9.9.
KickBak&Yak
Location: Spring Branch, TX Hobie PA14 + Hobie Outback Waiting 2 Go BTB

Post by KickBak&Yak »

Can you imagine that things with a 90 E-Tec on it, that'd be a blast.
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

KickBak&Yak wrote:Can you imagine that things with a 90 E-Tec on it, that'd be a blast.
With a tiller also.
txspeck
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by txspeck »

I came very close purchasing the 2 seater on this microskiff about 2 years ago, http://www.xfishsup.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

:mrgreen:
vincent
TKF 7000 Club
TKF 7000 Club

Post by vincent »

Jimi it is untapped but most builders are in FL and shipping costs add too much to the price and no local builders
KickBak&Yak

Post by KickBak&Yak »

What do they run without the engine?
Tombo

Post by Tombo »

KickBak&Yak wrote:What do they run without the engine?
The Pelican Ambush runs about $3,200 for bare hull.
richg99
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by richg99 »

One would think that a home-built pirogue, with a small engine, would do the job. What do you think?. richg99
KickBak&Yak

Post by KickBak&Yak »

Tombo wrote:
KickBak&Yak wrote:What do they run without the engine?
The Pelican Ambush runs about $3,200 for bare hull.
Tombo do you know what the cost is on the 2 17's? I didn't see the prices on the website.
jimithing

Post by jimithing »

vincent wrote:Jimi it is untapped but most builders are in FL and shipping costs add too much to the price and no local builders
I know, you basically restated everything I said. But the fact is we do have boat builders here. They just produce go fast boats with trolling motors and raised consoles and call them fishing boats that don't really allow you to stalk fish. But they still build a great product and don't see why any one of them can't get into the poling skiff market in Texas and pump out another great product and get a foothold of the market here.