October 2015 Competition

Zackthefisherman

Re: October 2015 Competition

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Good job guys! Did Jhb get a Diablo?

I've been catching them on various trout nymphs. I've found the most productive patterns to be size 20 or smaller midges. To catch them, I'm using the same double nymph rig that I use for trout on the guad minus the strike indicator. Your right, they are pretty difficult to catch, but once you figure them out it can be very rewarding.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I did not get a Diablo (Xmas wish list), but Warthog let me paddle his, and I can catch fish off his boat also (while forgetting to take competition pics of course, I knew he had a motive!)...

So, I forgot to take some pics, but I'll jump in the match with these...
IMG_0053.JPG
IMG_0055.JPG
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

... made some rough calcs... skypilot leading Sparrow, Warthog, Texjbq, myself, then Zack.

Got a front moving in later this week that will turn it on for a bit, but I imagine with some rain cooling the water down you'll have to switch tactics after the rain.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

One more thing about fishing this weekend (I fished the SMR Saturday and the Old Comal on Sunday afternoon)...

The bass on Saturday morning wanted it slow. Air temp was 62*, water temp had to be high 60s, but they ONLY wanted plastics with "arms and legs" as Warthog put it (weren't taking craws and worms, they wanted brush hogs and lizards). Many of our fish were caught off the bottom early in the day. A weighted lure sunk to the bottom and popped slowly and infrequently worked to bring out the fatties. Flyfishing was slow early in the day and topwater was totally turned off. As the water warmed up and the sun shone straight down they moved higher in the water column and we could slowly transition to worms by late afternoon, targeting the shallows and shaded cover.

On Sunday in the OC the bass were tight lipped. I have one hole that I fish and I can ALWAYS pull one bass out of it on the first cast (crazy I know). However, yesterday I watched bass ignore the lure. TWICE. This hole hasn't done that to me ever. Usually the OC bass are tiny and feisty. Yesterday I was missing strikes because I set too early. The two I did catch I allowed to swim with my Ultravibe pumpkin craw for nearly 10 seconds before setting the hook. I also saw a spawning bass protecting the nest in about 6' of water over gravel. This is the only bass I saw protecting a nest, but all the tails were torn up and this bass did fend off some other fish to protect the nest.

Lastly, Longnose gar have made it up the Old Comal. This is a recent development (in the last year). Having moved away for a year I didn't fish the Comal much 5/14-8/15. But for the years before that I can say with absolute certainty that you couldn't catch a Longnose gar above the city tube chute (Clemens Dam). However, they're in there now because I'm seeing them in the Old Comal (and Warthog can attest to the fact that I just hate gar when I'm bass fishing). So, it won't be long before they're in Landa Lake.
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

warthog, did you fix the holes in the diablo? the ones that I drilled in the bottom while you were in Germany? :twisted:
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

honkey1 wrote:warthog, did you fix the holes in the diablo? the ones that I drilled in the bottom while you were in Germany? :twisted:
I actually did notice some holes in the drag plate.

Skypilot, you have the drag plate right? How long did yours last? I don't suppose they make a drill - proof plate.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Warthog wrote:
honkey1 wrote:warthog, did you fix the holes in the diablo? the ones that I drilled in the bottom while you were in Germany? :twisted:
I actually did notice some holes in the drag plate.

Skypilot, you have the drag plate right? How long did yours last? I don't suppose they make a drill - proof plate.

I have had three so far . . . In over 1,000 river miles . . . In three years of 4-5 days a week fly fishing

I just joined Diablo Pro Staff Team and now have a new Amigo . . . With a drag plate, of course
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Was able to get out for a bit yesterday . . . . and experienced some refreshing rain. The bite was on with five species of sunfish, and two species of bass. For awhile, it was a fish-a-thon, with steady action for over an hour.

Anyway, managed to up my sunfish measurement, with a 10.25 redbreast. Man these fish are fun on a fly rod.

Let's go fishing
Attachments
DSCF1312.jpg
DSCF1319.jpg
DSCF1335.jpg
Warthog

Post by Warthog »

That may be it for me for the month. This weekend, I'm going after a monster buck I've had my eye on. I lieu of submissions from the deluge of last weekend, here is a throwback San Marcos river picture from a couple years ago. I've had the pleasure of observing bobcats do their river thing on several occasions, but this bobcat decided to climb out on a log and take a nap less than 20 yds from me. I never expected such a lazy San Marcos river cat! Sometimes, if one is quiet and observant, there just might be some surprises around the bend.

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Ain't no one fishing' in this... I wonder how bad the San Marcos is gonna be... I can't hit it until Sunday, but they didn't get nearly the rain New Braunfels did (yet). The Guad and Comal are destroyed for the weekend.

Can we declare a winner?
Texjbq85

Post by Texjbq85 »

BlancoKyle.jpg
BlancoKyle.jpg (31 KiB) Viewed 658 times
The San Marcos is destroyed of the weekend in too, The Blanco's going make sure of that.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Spent the past couple of days going up and down the SMR, praying with old friends, making phone calls for them, just checking up with folks.

I went to Martindale in 1990 to be the pastor there, and these are good people.

Hit twice in just a few months.

One family was going to move back in to their home next week, after staying with a friend for five months.

Everyone is safe, and they will recover.

PTL

Will post a new competition for November in a minute

Be safe

Let's go fishing