December Competition

Zackthefisherman

December Competition

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Alright, I'm not feeling very creative, and I figure that this will be another slow month so I'll make this easy. The longest of any species + the longest of another species for as many species you can catch in bounds( just like the October Competition). Only exception is one Sunfish.
Code: 1+
honkey1

Re: December Competition

Post by honkey1 »

sounds good. and congrats on the win
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Just so I'm clear, it's longest of any Sunfish + longest of any other species?
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

JHB, Lets go fishin!!!!! I would love to fish below dunlap again. I haven't been there in about 15 years
Zackthefisherman

I guess I didn't make it very clear. You can submit 1 of every species that you can catch in bounds. The only exception is you can't submit more than one sunfish because the identification and hybrids can be tricky to classify. For reference I just copied the October competition. I wasn't feeling very creative.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Ah, perfect. I'm hoping to get out Saturday and Sunday, but Sunday won't be in bounds. I'm thinking striper Saturday, not gonna start trout fishing until next weekend I think!
t100

Post by t100 »

Hoping to be able to add to this...
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

This is the first afternoon I was able to get on the SMR for a few hours.

Caught about 20 small fish . . . . but it was great to be able to launch the kayak and shake a loop with the fly rod.

Here are a couple of fish to get me started for the month.

Let's go fishing.

PS - let me know if someone decides to kayak the Guad for trout.
Attachments
DSCF2011.jpg
DSCF2033.jpg
DSCF2028.jpg
Zackthefisherman

Nice start guys!

Jhb and I floated a stretch of the Guadalupe this afternoon in search of trout. The water is high and moving fast. Do to that it was very difficult to properly fish for trout out of the yaks, and there wasn't many wading opportunity's. I did manage to catch one decent bass in the 15-16 inch range but I didn't write the code. All in all it was a fun float and a beautiful afternoon.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Agreed Zack, we had a great time, and while the flow wasn't too difficult (Devil's Playground and down through the Ingram Ranch was actually quite easy) it was too fast to fish effectively. We'll get out again when the flow is closer to 300.

Fished the SMR on Saturday and the flow was a little slower than the Guad (550 cfs in Martingale, lower Guad is about 650), the fishing was better. Too fast to fish effectively but managed about a dozen small bass. Didn't take any pictures.

I'm trying to get out again this weekend. Maybe the LoCo... pm me if interested.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Fished Dunlap at IH35 . . . . and the river is ripping!!

Managed to catch a half dozen bass and a dozen or so sunfish. It was difficult to fly fish from the kayak, but it was great to be able to get on the water.

After the selfie I checked my camera. The lens was covered with a thick layer of what looked like belly button fuzz. Oh Well!
Attachments
IMG_3270.jpg
IMG_3268.jpg
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

This one has a better shot of the 1+ code
Attachments
IMG_3267.jpg
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Fished both Old Comal, lower Guad and San Marcos this past weekend and it is up everywhere. Difficult to kayak fish but still the easiest means of accessing the good spots.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Had about three hours to fish the SMR, above the confluence with the Blanco.

This was my first time on this stretch since before the flood in October.

Wow!

The river was gutted in this section.

The fishing was pretty good . . . . considering the debris everywhere.

Caught a cichlid for the competition.

Tomorrow we take out the veterans for a PHWFF outing.

Let's go fishing
Attachments
DSCF2118.jpg
DSCF2115.jpg
DSCF2085.jpg
Zackthefisherman

I've been luck enough to have many fishing opportunities this month, but unfortunately the fish just haven't been cooperating. This past Sunday afternoon I was able to fish one of my favorite winter time spots on the Comal alongside my brother and the bite was on! I started off throwing flies and managed a few sunfish and dink bass. Unsatisfied with my results, I switched over to my bait cast rigged with a good ole Baby Brush Hog and that was the ticket. In the last 30 mins of daylight my brother and I easily landed over 10 bass each. None of the bass were huge, but tearing up bass alongside your little brother is hard to beat!

Once the bite started I got caught in the moment and didn't take any pictures for the competition. I did get a picture of a big sunfish I caught earlier in the day so I have something for the competition.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

Zackthefisherman wrote:I've been luck enough to have many fishing opportunities this month, but unfortunately the fish just haven't been cooperating. This past Sunday afternoon I was able to fish one of my favorite winter time spots on the Comal alongside my brother and the bite was on! I started off throwing flies and managed a few sunfish and dink bass. Unsatisfied with my results, I switched over to my bait cast rigged with a good ole Baby Brush Hog and that was the ticket. In the last 30 mins of daylight my brother and I easily landed over 10 bass each. None of the bass were huge, but tearing up bass alongside your little brother is hard to beat!

Once the bite started I got caught in the moment and didn't take any pictures for the competition. I did get a picture of a big sunfish I caught earlier in the day so I have something for the competition.
Will be out-of-state for the next three weeks for a family situation in Arkansas.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I know Sparrow caught 3 great species this weekend, and I'm always calling him out on his laziness for not posting his TKF catches, KW catches, BFAs, C&R Records... and this is me again calling him out. We'll see if he'll overcome procrastination and apathy to post his catches and take December.
Zackthefisherman

I'm guessing Skypilot won't be posting the January competition because he's out of town. I guess that means t100 is the winner.
skypilot
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by skypilot »

I have returned earlier than expected . . . . and will hit the river this afternoon.

Please check for the January competition on a new post.

Let's go fishing