Head Lamp

Hutch
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: West Columbia, Surfside, San Luis Pass, East Matagorda kicking back for an Endless Summer

Head Lamp

Post by Hutch »

Looking for the perfect head lamp for night paddling. I have seen all the cheap to expensive models. Need beam with at least 50m plus distance so I can see the shoreline when coming off the bay. 1000 lumens. I have a hand light that works great but I don't want to tape it to my head. Gracias.
acorn1754

Re: Head Lamp

Post by acorn1754 »

I have never heard of a headlamp that can put out 1000 lumens. But this headlamp can put out 500-900 lumens on high and is waterproof. I have 3 Fenix lights and love them all, very high quality and price is reasonable.
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/h ... -headlamp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.fenixlighting.com/product/h ... -headlamp/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

I have a Black Diamond ReVolt, but it's no where near 1000 lumens (130, IIRC). Those Fenix headlamps are probably going to be your best bet. I have Fenix flashlights and they are awesome.
Yaklash
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by Yaklash »

Here's my two cents on night lights. The light you choose, where it mounts, all those things, are not worth much when they shine on the front of your kayak. All you can see is the brightly lit kayak and not the shoreline. So many times I've motored or paddled out into the darkness, the spot lights were eventually turned off. Once your eyes adapt, you're better off without the light. That said, I take a small light that clips onto the bill of my hat for tying knots and getting hooks out and a hand held light to see reefs, or your car at the launch. But most places we launch are lit and their lights are your best guide back in.
Yakety_Yak

Post by Yakety_Yak »

Yaklash wrote:Here's my two cents on night lights. The light you choose, where it mounts, all those things, are not worth much when they shine on the front of your kayak. All you can see is the brightly lit kayak and not the shoreline. So many times I've motored or paddled out into the darkness, the spot lights were eventually turned off. Once your eyes adapt, you're better off without the light. That said, I take a small light that clips onto the bill of my hat for tying knots and getting hooks out and a hand held light to see reefs, or your car at the launch. But most places we launch are lit and their lights are your best guide back in.
I agree with Yaklash! :)
TrailChaser

Post by TrailChaser »

Yaklash wrote:Here's my two cents on night lights. The light you choose, where it mounts, all those things, are not worth much when they shine on the front of your kayak. All you can see is the brightly lit kayak and not the shoreline. So many times I've motored or paddled out into the darkness, the spot lights were eventually turned off. Once your eyes adapt, you're better off without the light. That said, I take a small light that clips onto the bill of my hat for tying knots and getting hooks out and a hand held light to see reefs, or your car at the launch. But most places we launch are lit and their lights are your best guide back in.
Also, a red light will allow you to tie knots and see what you're doing without messing up your adapted night eyes. Or you could go pirate style, and use a patch on one eye while your white light is on.
TroutSupport.com
TKF 3000 Club
TKF 3000 Club

Post by TroutSupport.com »

This ^
Hutch
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club
Location: West Columbia, Surfside, San Luis Pass, East Matagorda kicking back for an Endless Summer

Post by Hutch »

This is what one distributer for Fenix sent me.

http://www.fenix-store.com/fenix-hl60r- ... lashlight/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The Fenix 30 has a beam reach of over 700'?

900 is close to 1000. Main idea is to able to locate specific spots while in the dark or at least get an accurate direction. My hand held Monster Flashlight can shoot a beam to 100m while in kayak with no problem but need to be hands free. The spots I go to are pitch black. Just one more safety plan so I get back in one piece.

I have gone thru numerous head lamps and not found a decent one yet, possibly cuz of what Yaklash explains. Figured I would throw this idea out to see if there really is a head lamp that meets the needs. Thanks
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

Night fishing a marsh or small bay is fun. It's not something I do very much. I have some pretty cheap headlights that I got off Amazon. They have the giant magnifier that slides in and out to focus the beam. I take along a small Q-beam light too. Like the others, I turn off my lights except the 360. Seems like everywhere I fish, there is a chemical plant in the distance or something to orient and navigate by. Sound really gets magnified in the night without much light.
SteelRinger

Post by SteelRinger »

Same for me. The only light that I have going is the 360 light that is required, which is behind me and my Garmin 45dv set at the lowest backlight setting. I never have a problem seeing the shoreline or the water, even with a quarter to new moon.
lptxguy
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by lptxguy »

This thing is stupid bright.
Attachments
image.png
image.png
WisherFisher

Post by WisherFisher »

I don't have .02 to offer but to answer your question. What you're looking for is a Zoomable Tourch Headlight. Amazon has plenty.
Hutch
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Hutch »

lptxguy wrote:This thing is stupid bright.

I have seen those lights. They look great but the price makes me think they are a rip off on cc use or the actual item. Thanks though.
karstopo
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by karstopo »

http://www.amazon.com/Perman-Lumens-Zoo ... =head+lamp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon always has deals on various head lamps. I've gotten some over the years and the do the trick for a while or longer. 7-8 bucks you can get 2 or 3 as back ups. Or you can spend a bunch and have the batteries corrode and ruin it anyway.
Hutch
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Hutch »

Found this forum...

http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/content.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hutch
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Hutch »

This is what I ended up with.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Generic-20214 ... qrstuvwxyz" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I didn't like the models shown on Amazon mainly cuz I like to actually see what I am buying and did not trust some of the merchants. Also, don't like the idea of strapping on 18650 batteries to my head all night- my brain cells are already fried. So, the plan was to find the perfect head lamp. There does not appear to be anything perfect. So I went with a brand that is not expensive and one that I have used with other camp lights- 2 current Ozark Trail camp lights have worked for the last 5 years with no problems.

The beam seems to shoot 50m but with hazy morning salt water flats I am assuming the light will not cast that far. And as, y'all have stated it wont matter and therefore rely on going lightless and let the eyes adapt. But, in all the places I go one needs to have a handless lamp that I can see the bank and access points while paddling. All about safety especially at my age and needs. Thanks, H.
BuideJouck

Post by BuideJouck »

I like to suggest one from my deck,
I'm using Fenix HL60R LED rechargeable headlamp and its working on different lumens mode, easily setup with two red and white lights.
impulse

Post by impulse »

SteelRinger wrote:Same for me. The only light that I have going is the 360 light that is required, which is behind me and my Garmin 45dv set at the lowest backlight setting. I never have a problem seeing the shoreline or the water, even with a quarter to new moon.

Recently, Texas got in line with USCG regulations that only require having a light "ready at hand" when kayaking after dark.

A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this Rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall exhibit an all-round white light or have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision

https://tpwd.texas.gov/publications/pwd ... 0_0014.pdf Rule 25 (d)(ii)

I suspect a head lamp would meet the requirement...
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I found two new ones. Both really good. I like the one that can zoom, although it only fits below the bill of the cap; I like them to sit on top of the hat. The other one is bright like my others, has a motion-sensing switch function where you can turn it off and on with a wave of your hand, and comes with a recharging case that holds a charge so you can pop the light back into the case for a recharge.
Capture1.JPG
Capture.JPG
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

stupid bright brings to mind facing OP's stupid bright when rigging and staging in the dark.

does anyone really need a headamp that weighs an anchor, if one that is so light you can't tell it's there will do the same job?

No one else has mentioned it - for me, Nitecore NU20 is the last headlamp.

So light, forgotten in a pocket, went through the wash, and still works perfectly.
junkyard chihuahua
TKF 10,000 Club
TKF 10,000 Club

Post by junkyard chihuahua »

I've had many headlamps over the years. Currently I have a Fenix hm50. Its an awesome little light. usb rechargable, bright, multiple light levels, and its so light you will forget you have it on your head...