November Photos

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

November Photos

Post by jhb »

Folks, I'm happy to announce that I've found a different line of work- one that will allow me more time to spend with my family and more time to fish. That being said, I've got some time in between jobs to fish- AND FISH I DID.

Made it out two days in a row last week and this cooler weather has got the bass biting. I put-in both days at Cypress Bend Park in New B (I live maybe 5 minutes from here) and paddled down to the Comal and all around the confluence. I've been really trying to focus on my jig game, because fighting a bass on a jig isn't nearly as easy as offset or EWG hooks. I also ran across a steal on jigs one day in Walmart (like $0.30/jig). So with one tied on I started my search. I was only able to fish the afternoons and luckily the sun played the same game both days, extremely overcast in the mornings with great afternoon sun. I knew bass would be trying to warm up so I was focusing on cypress needle mats and debris mats in sun. I'd swing the jig in slow with a soft plop and allow it to sink to the bottom. I'd give it 3-5 seconds before pulling in the slack and that's typically when the bass would lightly snatch it up and slowly take it deep.

On Thursday as I paddled near the last public exit I cast to the edge of the stairs and allowed it to fall to the bottom (the bank is way undercut under the stairs). Immediately after it hit the bottom my line darted out to the river. I leaned into the hookset and it was on. I had no clue what snatched up my bait for a minute to two as the fight remained along the bottom and river center. As she surfaced I saw a great Guadalupe bass, I knew she was good. Real good. I had no witness so I called my dad to come take a picture (he works a few minutes away).
IMG_3613.JPG
This 15.25" Guad handily beats my previous C&R record at 14.75". As I let her go back in the water she went right back under the staircase she came from. I bid my old man farewell and headed back to my vehicle with a smile. Casting along the way another Guad clobbered my jig in 2' of water behind a stump in full sun. This 15.5" Guadalupe bass ties my C&R record for the Guadalupe river.
IMG_3608.JPG
That made for a great Thursday! Friday afternoon I was right back at it, determined to boat some more. I paddled up to Schlitterbahn on the Comal and right under the trash boats at the Lincoln St bridge I cast my jig and allowed it to sink. Before it hit the bottom my drag started screaming landline was pulling towards the depths. I was lucky to land a great Smallmouth (my largest on the Comal).
IMG_3658.JPG
What a way to transition in to a new job with some much needed R&R in between. All bass caught on a brown headed football jig with a green pumpkin skirt and a green pumpkin/red flake Berkeley Havoc Flapping Craw. Hope to be seeing some of you guys on the water again soon. It has been too long.
Zackthefisherman

Re: November Photos

Post by Zackthefisherman »

Nice to see a report from you Jhb!

I haven't been posting many reports lately but your post convinced me to share my results from last Saturday (5th). My brother and I fished the same area as you and the bite was good. The Comal produced some good Guads and Smallmouths. I ended the evening with around 10, and my brother didn't do much worse. The lure of choice was the good ole baby brush hog, and I got one on the fly.

Posting this through taptalk so I hope the pictures show up.

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
Last edited by Zackthefisherman on Wed Nov 23, 2016 11:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Good to see the Smallies are representing in the Comal now. They're just loving the warm water I bet. Made it out on the water with Sparrow today and managed a few good Largies.
IMG_3681.PNG
IMG_3683.PNG
Get on the Guadalupe and Comal while you can, the cypress needles are coming (as evidenced by Zack's pic with the cypress needle in the gills)!
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

Had to take an opportunity to fish before the front pushed in yesterday. Made a solo paddle from Canyon Dam to Gilligan's Island, below 3 Xing, almost 11 miles. The fishing was phenomenal until shortly after the front pushed in. Besides the Barred Owl, Axis deer, multiple flocks of turkeys and a few Osprey, the highlight of the trip was catching this Largemouth between Horseshoe Falls and the Upper Horseshoe Xing. Great time and I had the river to myself. Brought over a dozen bass to hand with at about half being good bass ( > 16"). Most bass were caught on my new favorite jig combo- a brown headed football jig with a green pumpkin/red skirt and a green/red Havoc Craw Fatty.
IMG_3805.JPG
IMG_3791.JPG
Zackthefisherman

Wow, that's a nice bass especially for that part of the river! Did you see any Stripers? I know for a fact that you floated through a few productive Striper holes during the course of that long trip.
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

No, I didn't see any... and again, you and I need to make a Striper float... flyrods only. I knew I was floating right through them, but I'm just too die hard of a black bass fisherman.

I did see two huge Koi fish, and the Koi part isn't too unusual. I've seen them before around Devil's Playground, but these two gals were at Rocky Beach and were easily 20-25 pounds. One was white with black splotches and the other was a grayish orange (if that makes any sense). I'm not sure how to target Koi, but that would be a huge blast on any gear.
Zackthefisherman

I agree we need to do a trip for Stripers. I've seen a few Koi this year above and below Horseshoe Falls but nothing that big. I recently did a canoe float from Rio to L&L and what amazed me was the number of large Carp. Almost every long, slow, pool had a large school of them. Specifically, the pool between Ponderosa and L&L had to have over 50 large Carp in it. I also spotted a massive one in that pool. I won't give my size estimate for the fear of losing credibility, but I will say that it was the single largest fish I've seen in both fresh and saltwater!
Zackthefisherman

I took advantage of the warm weather yesterday afternoon and fished one of my favorite winter time spots. The prefrontal conditions really had the fish biting.

First cast at my favorite spot I break off on the hookset. I quickly retie and miss two fish on consecutive casts. A few cast later I break off again and at this point I realize something isn't right. I tie on a new fluorocarbon leader and luckily that does the trick because I'm down to my last hook.

Over the next hour or so the bite is pretty decent and I pick up five with on and off drizzle. Right before dark things get really good as I pick up five more within 10-15 minutes! Despite the frustration in the beginning it turned out to be a great afternoon.

All fish were caught on a combination of watermelon redflake Baby Brush Hogs and Berkeley Chigger Craw in black and red.
uploadfromtaptalk1479921282689.JPG

Sent from my SM-G530T using Tapatalk
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

I floated from the dam to Gilligan's Island again last Saturday. I boated close to two dozen fish the biggest being a Largemouth just under 19". Lost one real early on that was definitely bigger- I have to remember to keep turning their heads when I fish a jig, much different than a Texas rig. Saw plenty of turkeys, some nice Fallow bucks and a few more Axis deer. Loving the wildlife on this stretch lately. Best stretch was the Little Ponderosa stretch which yielded probably 10 fish including the fish of the day. It was cold enough to wear waders in the morning but by early afternoon they weren't necessary. The water close to the dam is just too "dam" cold. First fish of the day was a decent Redbreast sunfish who inhaled my 3/8 oz. jig!

Hope everyone had a good Thanksgiving!
honkey1

Post by honkey1 »

JHB, LETS GO FISHING!

Its been too long buddy, lets hit the Guad or San Marcos one day. I would love to hit up the Guad below canyon. im glad you changed professions and have more time for the important things in life.

hope to see you soon

JH
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by jhb »

You still have my number right? I'm down whenever, would really like to hit the SM, looks like rain this weekend, but maybe mid-next week? They'll be biting after this rain and cold, supposed to be bright, sunny and 70s next week.