March Photos

jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

March Photos

Post by jhb »

Since the Guadalupe has been cruising at 1100 cfs lately I decided to hit Fayette outside La Grange. Loaded up a PA12 and I'm glad I did, the wind was brutal. Fished an underspin the entire time all around exposed timber and managed a 91" bag in 3 hours. I'd never fished an underspin jig before and had sabotaged some from an MTB and hooked on a Grass Pig Jr. in white/grey. I bounced this around the timber in about 10-15' of water and these bass are feisty in this powerplant lake. I'll definitely head back to Fayette.
JHB.jpg
jhb
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Re: March Photos

Post by jhb »

What better way to enjoy the warming days than targeting bedding bass...

A friend, his younger brother and I floated the Guadalupe yesterday and at 400+ cfs it was flowing well. Bluebird skies helped keep the bass shallow under cover all day. Preying on nesting bass I was targeting cover very near shallow, sunny areas. I was hoping to find females guarding their nests.

Early on I lost a decent bass. I couldn't see her but she took my jig and didn't give me an inch of line before she came unbuttoned. I managed one decent Smallmouth and then coming around a bend I targeted a debris mat, stuck under a tree in a sunny eddy. As my jig fell through the column and drifted under the mat it was picked up and then my line darted into current. After an aerial display and a few tense seconds trying to wrangle her in to my net, this beautiful pre-spawn Smallmouth came to hand, beating my previous PB for a Smallmouth on the Guadalupe.
IMG_5717.JPG
IMG_5715.JPG
After removing my jig from her lip I noticed that someone had recently lost this bass. She still had the head of a worm and hook sticking out of her throat. I couldn't safely remove it, so I left it in and she swam off real strong.
IMG_5707.JPG
Zackthefisherman

Re: March Photos

Post by Zackthefisherman »

That's an awesome Smallmouth Jhb congrats!

I just got back from an afternoon on the Guadalupe. The fishing was decent, I landed around five bass, but my main goal was to gain more confidence throwing a jig. Near the end of the day, I lost a big largemouth. I got a good look at the fish and would guess that it was as big or bigger than the one I got last month. Needless to say, I'm hooked on Jig and Pig!