Night time lights 3/31

Jbob

Night time lights 3/31

Post by Jbob »

Successful trip fishing the lights on 3/31. Seven keeper trout w/ one 21". Two slot reds and a bonus flounder. Several small trout and reds were also caught.. all on one lure.

Thankful for the guys at FTU for putting me on this indestructible Zman bait. Dragging it slowly near lights paid off. The little jighead didn't straighten even with the slot reds. I might use the little spoiler shad next time, but the Zmann bait gave me too much confidence to change things up.
IMG_20180402_154642.jpg
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Night time lights 3/31

Post by kickingback »

LOL go with what you know works! I do!
Well done! Nice outing for sure with the flounder as a kicker.
The smaller baits are great right now for the hatch currently in the current and lights. Way to match the hatch!
titanic2

Post by titanic2 »

What size are those indestructible Zman baits? 4 inch?
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

If you click on the pic it enlarges to see...2.5"
I am using 2" lures with success as well.
CoachFlex

Post by CoachFlex »

I've been curious about that! Was wondering how my crappie jigs would work and planned on trying next time i fished lights.

Nice catch!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
Dandydon
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Dandydon »

Those Z-Man lures are durable & can be effective, but watch out for the "lure-melting" curse! Two years ago I made the mistake of storing some Z-Man lures w/ some regular Bass Assassins & TTF swimming shad plastics...all in the same plastic bag.
The Z-Man lures caused all those plastic lures to MELT in a goopy mess! Later, our Z-Man sponsored guide (Tim Young) told us to always store those Z-Man lures in SEPARATE plastic bags.
Nowadays I catch more fish on the Down South & Gulp plastic lures. To each his own. Often it's random luck whether we admit it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

I think luck is a part of it, but I'm fairly confident I wouldn't have caught as many fish if I were throwing a 4" hard jerk bait.

I think the take-away here is it's a small lure that works well with the small bait currently available in the lights. The issue with it being soft allows the tail to move more freely. This gives it a little more action than the more dense baits when slow retrieval is used.
zech.eppinette

Post by zech.eppinette »

What lights? I’m looking into fishing this week at night. It’s looking like the wind will only be favorable at night in my days off. Trying to get an idea of where to launch/fish. The only place I know of is the causeway and I’ve lost an anchor there getting stuck on the bottom so I don’t really want to go there again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LocoSeamonkey

Post by LocoSeamonkey »

I love fishing the lights with those little crappie jigs. I also like the V crappie jigs too.

My other go to in the lights are Chicken Boy Bubba Clucker in Johnny Goldfish or Silver Tongue Devil. The Bubba Clucker has a shorter length, so the hook is closer to the back.

I also discovered that the Trout Support Lure works great when there are bigger fish in the light.