Cali Cat Yakking Fishing Report 16 JUN 2018

Remus

Cali Cat Yakking Fishing Report 16 JUN 2018

Post by Remus »

Happy Fathers Day to all my Cat Yakking Compadres!

I'm happy to report that John Yak Dat and myself had a very successful day fishing the 281 cove in Calaveras fishing a very busy lake on a Saturday morning.BTW Yak Dat was on his brand new Wildeness Radar 115 Pedal Kayak. Very nice and sleek looking. Nice rig!
On to the report... Yad Dat had a slow start but recover quickly catching 10 fat Channel Cats ranging from 4 -7lbs using fresh tilapia heads. He also caught a couple of Reds in the 22-24 in range. I had a super day beating my personal record on Redfish catching 9 Reds and 12 Catfish. I was using live tilapias for Reds and fresh tilapia heads for the Cats. One of my Redfish measured 30 in/wt 8lbs and a 28 in/6lbs. The rest were in the 22-24 in range
PB were a nuisance with many coming very close to our fishing lines. None were catching fish though.

PS: It was a pleasure being able to fish with John Yak Dat again.

Check out this video from the 10 JUN 2018:

https://vimeo.com/275813723

Remus
Attachments
P6161283.JPG
P6161284.JPG
P6161274.JPG
wisocrazy

Re: Cali Cat Yakking Fishing Report 16 JUN 2018

Post by wisocrazy »

Another Cali Cat Yakker success!! Way to go. Awesome video as well.

Side note - Seeing pictures, I think I actually met you out on the water a few years back when I fished out of an x-factor. Fished with Jimbo a couple times back in those days and learned something each time. Never quite had the same success, but still fun being out.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Yes sir I'm pretty sure we met. I haven't seen or heard of Jimbo in a long time. I'm glad you liked the video. See you at the lake!
Remus
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Hey guys, and yes I remember wisocrazy, and we used to fish around the dam area back then. From what I've observed there are a lot of folks fishing around some of my old spots.
Nice haul Harry, and it seems like you, Mike, and YakDat are the only one's still carrying the torch for the CaliCatYakers.
I'm still around, but haven't had the kayak out in a long time due to back issues. I'm determined to give it a go one of these days, or at least I keep telling myself that I will.
I really miss it, and fishing off the bank just ain't cutting it! :(
Keep posting Harry, and the rest of you guys, because I enjoy seeing your pictures and videos, and who knows, I might just show up out there on the shore one of those Saturday mornings, kayak in tow. :wink:
Remus

Post by Remus »

Good to hear from Jimbo_47! I didn't fished much last year and the few times that I went I sucked. This year has been very good so far (April-Jun). I ran into John last week and we fished together and had a really good day. I haven't seen Mike at all. I don't know what happened to the rest of the group. The dam is becoming very hard to find but it is still the spot for large channel catfish. If you come during the weekend be prepared for the many guides that will be circling around your kayak with their pb, a big nuisance. But I may go this Saturday. Hopefully you will soon feel healthy enough to fish. See you at the lake.
Remus
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

I talked to my friend at church today, and he is related to one of the guides that fishes the lake, and he said a couple of weeks ago they were pumping water at the back of 181 cove #2 and the fishing was on fire.
The last two weekends have been terrible with not much being caught even by the guides since they haven't been pumping.
It may be something else such as the heat, but whatever it is the fish just haven't turned on like a few weeks ago.
Remus

Post by Remus »

I was fishing with John Yakdat about that time frame and we caught a whole bunch of fish. They need to pump water into the lake more often.
BTW I'm planning to hit the lake this Friday 6 JUL 2018.

Remus
Remus

Post by Remus »

I went fishing on 6 and 8 July and caught a big skunk both days. Not even a bite. The only difference from last month is the weather pattern with rain the last couple of evenings.

Remus
Yakdat

Post by Yakdat »

I was there on Saturday, got 9 cats before the clouds starting rolling in. Lots of kayaks.
wisocrazy

Post by wisocrazy »

I was out there Saturday morning trolling rattle traps and spoons. Not a single hit. Soaked a couple baits along the dam and in a few holes that I know of and not a single bite. Skunk monster made his presence well known. On the bright side, had a good workout and theres always next time.
Remus

Post by Remus »

I was there this past Friday and Sunday and didn't get a single bite either day. I tried live bait and trolling gold spoons on both coves with zero results. I anchored on the first cove but wasn't sure if I was in the right spot. Unable to locate the dam with the depth finder that I hear it almost vanished. Most likely I will be back this coming Saturday for hopefully some redemption.

Remus
wisocrazy

Post by wisocrazy »

Loaded up and ready to go. Should be at the launch between 6-630. Still looking to get rid of this skunk smell from last weekend.