North Sabine

Wag

North Sabine

Post by Wag »

Hi all, not a lot happening on this forum, but just wanted to say that I miss reports and observations and comments from members of this group, even though they might not be about fishing reports.
There was a recent facebook request asking about fishing in Sabine area from a novice person. A good number of people responded. Question of how much of north Sabine (marshes around Bailey's) is fishing restricted by it's designation as a wildlife management area and additional licenses required. Haven't fished this area for a while, but consider it home turf. Are there new restrictions?
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: North Sabine

Post by Piscator »

You can look on the TPWD Public Hunting Lands online booklet and see the areas that are in the public hunting lands. If you need the permit, it would be the $12? one for non-hunting activities. I do not if that is enforced for fishing.

The regs say that 'shore or bank' fisherman must obtain a permit. I would guess if you launched for Lake Road you would need one.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Wow. Thanks.
TimmyT140

Post by TimmyT140 »

I certainly wasn't aware of this, I wonder how many of the people I see fishing on Lake Rd. have the permit?

Hunting and Fishing Activity
In order to hunt on any public hunting lands, persons age 17 or older must possess an APH Permit, a hunting license, and any required stamps. Youth (under age 17) are required to have a Texas hunting license but are not required to possess their own permit to hunt or fish however, they must hunt or fish under the supervision of an authorized supervising adult (age 18 or older) who possesses the required permit.

An APH or LPU permit is required to fish from the bank or within the enclosed waters of public hunting lands. The LPU allows for fishing activities on public hunting units that offer fishing. A fishing license is not required to fish from the bank of public waters found in units located within state parks if fishing is permitted.
Wag

Post by Wag »

I know...isn't it amazing...areas we've fished all our lives now require permit in addition to license? And these are areas that families without boats/kayaks often fish as they are accessible. So surprised to see.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

I have seen Game Wardens there many times and they appear to not be enforcing fishing from the road or crabbing platforms.
Wag

Post by Wag »

That's good to know. The area has always been a prime spot for people with fewer means, including me and my family growing up.