The River may be back

Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

The River may be back

Post by Piscator »

Made a quick trip to few areas on the Neches and the big -leaf vegetation is back. The water clarity was OK also. Hopefully the the reds are back. I will go later today and tomorrow and report back. Star Bayou was choked solid bank-to-bank. Might be getting back to pre-Ike conditions.
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Re: The River may be back

Post by Piscator »

The cypress swamp was muddy. I think the dredging left the flats covered in silt and the wind stirs it up. The bayou looks good. Star Bayou has clear water due to the vegetation. Caught three reds. One near the spoil levee and two in Star.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Good the hear. Thanks for the report.
locktyght

Post by locktyght »

Piscator wrote:The cypress swamp was muddy. I think the dredging left the flats covered in silt and the wind stirs it up. The bayou looks good. Star Bayou has clear water due to the vegetation. Caught three reds. One near the spoil levee and two in Star.

Where do you launch to get to Star Bayou?
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

We launched next to an ENTERGY sub station that is just outside the gates to the Martin sulfur plant and ship loading. This is back behind the ExxonMobil refinery and south of the old power plant site. Down Gulf States Rd.

I usually park close to the RR tracks and not in front of the gate. Walk along the fence and at the corner just go straight about 15 yards. The concrete slabs can be slippery. Meyers Bayou (labeled Neches River on the map) is in the back of the old river bend. The bayou and the old cypress swamp has reds. Just about anywhere in the river, old channels, and bayous has reds.
[img]
Meyers Launch.jpg
[/img]
Piscator
TKF 2000 club
TKF 2000 club

Post by Piscator »

The cypress flats were clear 8/3 and caught several reds. Schools of shad are back and vegetation is growing in the flats.

Today 8/8 the water was off-color but not bad. Lady fish were in there so that is a good sign. Only caught one red in the flats. In a vegetation chocked area the water was clear and caught 4 and lost a couple. All were sighted and then cast to.
Wag

Post by Wag »

Great news! Thanks for the report.
lonestranger

Post by lonestranger »

Have you checked this year?