Fishing new area

BradenHanzelka

Fishing new area

Post by BradenHanzelka »

Have a 16 foot flat bottom with center console. Just started college and will be taking my first year of engineering in at the new A&M campus in McAllen. Closest fishing I see is Port Mansfield/Laguna Vista. Any tips or things I need to know before exploring through these parts of the LLM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Fishing new area

Post by Ron Mc »

start here, use the overlays
http://www.texmaps.com/go/texas-fishing.html
once you figure out the structure, plan where to fish when around the tides, and where to paddle around the wind (usually try to paddle upwind first, so the wind will help you getting home).
PeterPP

Post by PeterPP »

Fitic

Post by Fitic »

Guys, I heard that you also need to take a fishfinder with you when you go fishing in a new place. Is it true? It supposedly will help to investigate the bottom of the reservoir and find the necessary schools of fish.
I have not used this yet and I have no one to ask, maybe you can tell me something? I will be grateful for the help.
Fitic

Post by Fitic »

Guys, today I read an article about fishfinder and I had a new question: which fishfinder is best to take? Will this tool allow me to find shoals of fish or specific individual individuals? I just want to catch big fish like catfish. Tell me, please! Thank you

Here is the article: https://www.bestadvisor.com/how-to/how- ... fishfinder

:horse:
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Fitic wrote:Guys, today I read an article about fishfinder and I had a new question: which fishfinder is best to take? Will this tool allow me to find shoals of fish or specific individual individuals? I just want to catch big fish like catfish. Tell me, please! Thank you

Here is the article: https://www.bestadvisor.com/how-to/how- ... fishfinder

:horse:
In the shallow plain around you, the best use of a fish finder on reservoirs is to find structure - especially the submerged banks of the river channel.
Texas Hooter

Post by Texas Hooter »

It’s a bit scary fishing unknown shallow waters in a boat. I went yesterday to Wilson’s cut in my 18’ and got hung up twice. When moving and on plane and you see you’re getting super skinny, your instinct will be to trim up and maybe increase throttle. But the best thing you can do is shut it down and then trim it up. You’d rather be push poling out or waiting for high tide than ruining your expensive boat. I honestly have a much better time when solo if I’m on my kayak. I’m not stressing out and dont hesitate to get to where I wanna fish. Lean the area on your yak before you go solo in your boat. It may save you a ton of money.