CALI CAT YAKKERS FISHING REPORT 11 AUG 2018

Remus

CALI CAT YAKKERS FISHING REPORT 11 AUG 2018

Post by Remus »

Greetings!
What a pleasant surprise to see over 10 kayakers at the the lake this morning all with very nice rigs. By the same token it was depressing seeing so many pb at the 181 cove going in circles around me and Yakdat. With that said I would like to report that Yakdat and myself had a pretty good first two hours 7-9am and then nothing for the rest of the morning.
Yakdat finished the day with eleven nice size cats, no Reds. I finished the day with 4 good size Reds with the biggest measuring 30 inches and weighing at 8 lbs and with no spots by the tail, is that some kind of record? I also caught a small catfish using Jimbo 47 favorite stink bait...Big Marv. We were catching fish pretty consistent until the power boat showed up and chased the fish out the cove.
We most likely will be back next Friday am in case any wants to join us.
Attachments
P8111170.JPG
P8111168.JPG
P8111165.JPG
P8111163.JPG
wisocrazy

Re: CALI CAT YAKKERS FISHING REPORT 11 AUG 2018

Post by wisocrazy »

Awesome report. Way to get on em. I've been kicking myself all day for not loading up.
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Way to go Harry and YakDat.
Those power boaters are probably saying the same thing about the darn kayakers always anchored in my cove. :lol:
Looked like rain this morning, but turned out to be a perfect day for mid August.
Hope we have more, and less 100+ as the heat just really gets to me.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Jimbo, I caught my only Channel catfish of the day using your favorite stinky bait...Big Marv.

Remus
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Remus wrote:Jimbo, I caught my only Channel catfish of the day using your favorite stinky bait...Big Marv.

Remus
I love fishing with the fresh shad and cut talapia heads, or even live ones but I don't hesitate to go to the Big Marv's if I can't get a bite within a 20 to 30 minute time frame.
I know that the Big Marv's sends out a scent trail that the cats have no problem following to the source, and within a few short minutes.
The shad and talapia do catch the bigger size cats as a rule, but I just have a lot of confidence in ole Marv's.
Years ago when I first started using the bait I was using shad and fishing the back end of a cove near the east side of the power plant. I noticed about three boats fishing just on the mouth of the cove and I had to troll past them to leave the cove. I noticed a guy fighting a big fish and as I went past he hollered at me if I had a net.....I trolled over to him and handed him my net and he landed a 25# blue cat. The guy in the back of the boat lifted a stringer out of the water as I sat with my jaw dropped and showed me 4 other cats that were all about in between the 10# and 20# range.
I asked what he caught them on and he showed me his jar of Big Marv's, and gave me some and invited me to anchor right beside him. He told me the more stink in the water the better, and I to this day believe it.
I didn't catch any that day but returned to the spot during the week with my own jar of big Marv's and caught three cats that weighted 14# 18# and a 25# all weighed on my deliar.
From that on time I always managed to put catfish in the boat, but never topped that 25# to date.....Tell you the truth, I think the guides fished out most of those big blues over the years.
Guides on Calaveras are meat hunters for their clients which is sad.