Daddy / daughter trip, Saturday 8/18

wisocrazy

Daddy / daughter trip, Saturday 8/18

Post by wisocrazy »

Out of the blue, 14yr old daughter said she wanted to go yak fishin. So of course loaded up the yaks Friday evening and got to calaveras gate about 6:30 Saturday morning to one of the longest lines I've seen there to date. 30mins later we are at the launch and I see maybe 12 yaks already out on the water. I net some bait (plenty of talapia at the launch) and set up the yaks for her first yak fishin adventure. We paddle around the launch for maybe 20-30mins to get her comfortable on the water before setting out to maybe halfway to the dam (maybe 10-12 lightpoles out). I see fish busting water and depth finder shows activity below when we get there so I anchor her down and she's got a wet line. I set up about 20ft away from her to give her space and let her know that I'm right there if she needs me. My lines go in and I'm set up for 14ft. About 15minds later I notice the floats are moving left and right with a couple dips but no takers. Something is spooking the baits. ALL I hear is I GOT A FISH!! Look over and her rod is doubled over. Her first bout with a fish from the yak and she is going to town. Let's it run when it wants to and reels when she has to. Just like I taught her while bank fishin. After a couple minutes, fish is up and it's a good size catfish. Now she needs daddys help getting it in as it's her first yak fish. Padle over and fish grips to the rescue. Fish is 21.5 inches and just over 4 pounds. Only fish of the 3hr trip but she has a memory for life.
20180818_082009.jpg
Apologies for the long read, but had to share this proud papa moment.
Tombo

Re: Daddy / daughter trip, Saturday 8/18

Post by Tombo »

So glad you took a picture. Don't even have to read the story.
Remus

Post by Remus »

Those memories are worth a million.
Great job Dad!
Jimbo_47
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by Jimbo_47 »

Great job!
I agree about the long line, and wondering what is going on?
I drove out there around 10:00 a.m. and the line was backed up about 10 cars and boat rigs past the stop sign so I turned around and went back home.
Reminded me of the old days when the bass fishing was so good.
What's going on?...Is the fishing that good now?
Remus

Post by Remus »

The line moves pretty quick.