Inflatable Fishing Kayak - Part 2

Chubs

Inflatable Fishing Kayak - Part 2

Post by Chubs »

Since I've not had any luck fishing lately (attempted Bayou Vista area on Saturday, 3.5 hours with 2 bites to show for it and no fish), thought I'd follow up with my older post - http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... 1&t=246805

I've alluded to it in other posts, but I ended up getting a Sea Eagle 385FTA. It's pretty sweet. I've had it out in the marsh about 4 times now and another few here at my local pond. It's super sturdy and I can easily stand and fish and not feel too wobbly.

I've been playing with customizing it and set it up a little differently each go, both with and without a trolling motor.

Here is my setup for with a trolling motor, but note I'm still working on it and don't like how the battery backs up to the seat (I can't pivot much being so close). This is a 100 AH battery on a 24 lb thrust motor. I did get it registered and everything, I just need to find out a way to mount my registration number and sticker (I think I'll use plastic sheet board and hang it from the front).
I setup a bigfoot (or some knockoff brand) trolling motor switch, so I can control on/ off by foot - FINALLY HANDS FREE LOCOMOTION - at half the price of a hobie :P
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
Add description
My setup for rowing only, I ditch the tall seat and go with a standard regular kayak seat with back. I mounted the seat a little forward last time and it gave me some storage space behind. That's probably my biggest grip on the kayak - the only storage space is what you see - you can't store things inside like a hard plastic one.
This thing tracks really well, better than my heritage kayak, I do miss my foot controlled rudder though. But I paddled it in 15+ winds and didn't get windcocked!

I've ran this over oysters once (accident), and bumped into them a few other times, all I have to show for it is a minor 2" scratch on the bottom where a 1st layer of rubber pealed off (there are 2 layers of rubber with heavy cloth fabric sandwiched between). And the scratch is on the non critical floor portion (not an air retaining bladder). I'm careful with the oysters but not too worried about them - just don't do something stupid like intentionally run into them and try to force your way over - back up as soon as you bump something and I've been fine so far. I carry the patch kit just in case.
JW FunGuy

Re: Inflatable Fishing Kayak - Part 2

Post by JW FunGuy »

I have an NRS Pike that I use on the river. I had originally planned on using it in the marsh but the guy that got me going said it would get shredded by oyster and I would have to get a helicopter to get out! It to has a bottom/outer floor like rafts do that I thought would protect the air chambers. I also figured an ounce of protection......
I will be interested to here hour the rest of your experiences go. Nice rig!
Chubs

Post by Chubs »

I just looked it up, very similar specs (looks practically identical to the seaeagle 350fx hehe). Same or maybe even better Denier rating on the material (though the seaeagle says it's got double layers in the tube sides and floor, really no idea what they mean but I can only guess).

I'd imagine you'd be fine really. The oysters are sharp, but they are also broad, multiple points to distribute the contact points (think laying on bed of nails), and the kayak material does have some bend in it, so that protects it from some of the sharper protruding edges vs a hard kayak simply resisting bending with the oyster blades and getting deep gouges in the plastic (your typical oyster rash).

That said, I still have yet to see how many trips I'll get out of this thing lol.

What I hear is the worst is nails poking out of pilings (docks etc) - that'll punch a hole in it if you have enough inertia going. Also dragging your boat on the ground isn't good for it either.

The way it was put to me though, if you do get a puncture, the air won't just immediately all come out, it should leak out at a slow rate for a small or a few small holes (think when a tire gets a flat). You'll notice something is wrong and ought to be able to get onshore and either address the leak (carry your patch kit), or maybe head back to the launch. I don't think it would fail in a way you'd get stranded and need a helicopter :) Also the cloth weave internal to the rubber resists tearing so it won't rip apart. I tried it with some of their samples. They have 2 types of material - a base type and the stronger stuff. The base type is basically thick rubber with no cloth support - it can tear. The stronger stuff this kayak is made of has the cloth internal to it - I could not get it to tear no matter how hard I tried (I could puncture it with a knife, but the hole didn't widen when I tried to pull it apart afterwards).
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

I agree, looks like it would shine as a river drift boat.