Trolling motor question

pulsifer1991

Trolling motor question

Post by pulsifer1991 »

I have my trolling motor all set up and have the foot controls and what not.
Just wondering about the weight.
I have the ascend 12t (350lb on sticker)
I'm roughly 200, kayak is 77, trolling motor maybe 7-8.
That's already pushing it.
With the battery it weighs 44lbs.
Should I stay true to the 350 and downsize the battery. I saw alot of ppl using the mightymaxx at only 23lb.
Or can you push over that 350 and it's just a "safe" limit.

Thanks!
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Re: Trolling motor question

Post by kickingback »

I wouldn't push it as it will tip easier at the max weight and all your battery and TM will be ruined.
I suggest trying to get a kayak that can take the extra weight to be safe.
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

You don't have to factor the weight of the kayak with an Ascend; just the seat, rod holder, and maybe the hatches of the kayak. So, you're at 250 lbs ish currently. Here's a post I made recently regarding weight capacity: Click

However, I always recommend staying about 70% of the max capacity, so you're right there with yourself, TM, and battery. As long as you don't carry too much gear you should be OK as long as you distribute the weight evenly across the length of the kayak.
pulsifer1991

Post by pulsifer1991 »

Neumie wrote:You don't have to factor the weight of the kayak with an Ascend; just the seat, rod holder, and maybe the hatches of the kayak. So, you're at 250 lbs ish currently. Here's a post I made recently regarding weight capacity: Click

However, I always recommend staying about 70% of the max capacity, so you're right there with yourself, TM, and battery. As long as you don't carry too much gear you should be OK as long as you distribute the weight evenly across the length of the kayak.
That's actually really helpful, thank you!
I have decided though I will upgrade I guess you could say to the mighty max. That alone will give me 20 more lbs of play just from battery. I dont using carry alot of gear that has much weight to it. And my rod holder is all PVC from flush mount so it may weigh 1-2lb max.
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

I have a 40-pound Minn-Kota that I power with a 35 amp-hour deep cycle wheelchair battery. I don't use the TM constantly, but I've never come back with less than twelve volts in the battery. The battery only weighs about fifteen pounds.

TexasJim
pulsifer1991

Post by pulsifer1991 »

TexasJim wrote:I have a 40-pound Minn-Kota that I power with a 35 amp-hour deep cycle wheelchair battery. I don't use the TM constantly, but I've never come back with less than twelve volts in the battery. The battery only weighs about fifteen pounds.

TexasJim
Where did you get the battery at? Or is it something I would have to order?
I have a local boat company where I am at so I'm going to check them out today and see what they have as far as small DC batteries. Also I'll check out batteries plus bulbs. I'd like to be able to use the TM tomorrow but we will see.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

pulsifer1991 When I had my 12T I had a 30lb thrust TM on it with about a 45lb battery in the rear tank well. I'm about 205 lbs and with probably 20 lbs of gear including tackle and a small drink cooler it was maxed on weight. Kayak wouldn't track well, seemed more unstable and the rear tank well would have at least an inch of water in it without the scuppers (Yakgear scuppers wouldn't stay in place). Plus lugging a heavy battery and TM from the truck to the kayak got old quick for me.

Show us pics when you're done with it.
pulsifer1991

Post by pulsifer1991 »

SWFinatic wrote:pulsifer1991 When I had my 12T I had a 30lb thrust TM on it with about a 45lb battery in the rear tank well. I'm about 205 lbs and with probably 20 lbs of gear including tackle and a small drink cooler it was maxed on weight. Kayak wouldn't track well, seemed more unstable and the rear tank well would have at least an inch of water in it without the scuppers (Yakgear scuppers wouldn't stay in place). Plus lugging a heavy battery and TM from the truck to the kayak got old quick for me.

Show us pics when you're done with it.
That's exactly what I dont want to happen Haha
I took the 44lb battery back
Going to order the mightymaxx this week and hope for the best.
Got some simple things I need to finish up this week too so itll keep me busy. Plus still need to go get my registration numbers. Doing that Tuesday
TexasJim

Post by TexasJim »

pulsifier: I bought it online for about $65.00, and, since it's "sealed", it was mailable. Works great for me. YMMV

Texasjim
pulsifer1991

Post by pulsifer1991 »

One of the videos on YouTube that I took some ideas from, the guy filled some of the hull with marine foam. Would that actually help with weight capacity? Or what do yall think that actually does for the boat?
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Filling the hull with foam will not help with the weight capacity. It will only help with buoyancy if the boat sinks. On my Ascend I added pontoons to see if that helped since the added weight made it more unstable. It did but obviously made it hard to paddle.
Attachments
00p0p_lvhD7KwxSxg_1200x900.jpg
Seekfishing

Re: RE: Re: Trolling motor question

Post by Seekfishing »

SWFinatic wrote:Filling the hull with foam will not help with the weight capacity. It will only help with buoyancy if the boat sinks. On my Ascend I added pontoons to see if that helped since the added weight made it more unstable. It did but obviously made it hard to paddle.
Electric tilt and trim added to most trolling motors $299

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk