Kayak Seat Upgrade

texas_topwater

Kayak Seat Upgrade

Post by texas_topwater »

Looking for something to replace my current seat since it's wearing down. I've been searching for one of the seats that gets you up slightly off your kayak---like what a lot of the newer sit on top kayaks have where the seat basically looks like a lawn/beach chair outfitted for a kayak.

I like the idea of being a little higher, despite the less comfortable paddling. So far I've figured that the Ascend Deluxe Seat for FS12T to be seemingly the best fit.

My biggest issue will likely be finding a seat that will fit and being able to secure it properly so it won't move around a ton(Malibu Kayaks X-13).

Let me know if y'all have had experience with a modification like this or know of a good way to do it. Or, on the off chance that anyone is selling a seat like this---I'd rather buy used. Any and all comments are appreciated!
texas_topwater

Re: Kayak Seat Upgrade

Post by texas_topwater »

Attached is a picture of the Ascend seat---however I'm very open to suggestions.
Attachments
kayak seat.png
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

surf to summit
my buddy Lou used this on his old Emotion Fisherman and loves it
https://www.ebay.com/i/172293777248
Neumie
Site Admin

Post by Neumie »

Ron Mc's option is a good one. The Ascend could work as long as it's not too wide in the seat pan. Length wise the front support may sit on top of the center hatch. Haven't done any research, just being speculative.
SWFinatic

Post by SWFinatic »

Looks like you have about 13" of room to work with before you get into the front hatch.
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (31.58 KiB) Viewed 5559 times
texas_topwater

Post by texas_topwater »

Thanks all.

I've seen that surf to summit seat a lot, and I suppose it could be the best of both worlds---being one of the strap-suspension seats but also being raised with that bottom cushion.

And even my seat now will interfere with the hatch... I almost never use it due to that fact and that stuff I put in there gets wet anyway---but I would have to use it if I was going kayak camping, which is in the plan book.
shoffer
TKF 1000 Club
TKF 1000 Club

Post by shoffer »

I don't know if your yak can take it, but I did a mod for my Hobie Outback - 2013 model - and it is still going strong.

http://www.texaskayakfisherman.com/foru ... p?t=207703