Carrying a Kayak on a Passenger Car

Steeltoe

Carrying a Kayak on a Passenger Car

Post by Steeltoe »

A simple question, with hopefully a simple answer; is there a reason no one seems to carry a kayak off to the passenger side of a vehicle (like an outrigger) vs. on the roof? Obviously not the best solution if you have passengers, but for a solo it seems to make more sense than heaving the thing up top. With a pair of large L-bracket supports to hold the thing fixed to the frame behind the rocker panels below the doors, it seems like it has the potential to be quite a bit stronger than most roof-racks, as well. Is it a matter of TXDOT rules, or just a matter of no one has made one yet?

Thanks
Steeltoe

Re: Carrying a Kayak on a Passenger Car

Post by Steeltoe »

Just to add; the ideal plan would be to mount the tub such that it is at or slightly below the 'belt line' of the side windows & fenders.
kickingback
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by kickingback »

Best information about carrying anything on a roof of a car should be directed at the car company and ask them what is the rating for top loading. I checked with Honda about carrying a PA 14 on top and they said that even with "super rails" added the top should not exceed 100 lbs (hobie is 110lbs) due to stresses on the car from the top.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

here's my buddy's Mazda with 3 boats on a Yakima rack
here there are only 2, but he has vertical posts and can rig this for 4
here's another nice rig with 3 boats - the two outside are on rollers, and not too tough to single-hand

the simplest rigging is a couple of foam blocks with tie-down straps front and back
https://www.rei.com/product/662048/rive ... ak-carrier

day-tripping with the Yakima rollers and saddles on his p/u rack
Steeltoe

Post by Steeltoe »

Those are all good options for top-mounting, but my car (Challenger) *really* doesn't want roof racks, and no matter how diligent I may be, I know the soft-touch methods will inevitably tear up the paint. Not to mention that between the sunroof & thing-gauge metal, it's not wise to mount anything to the roof in the first place. There's some Ram-mount type suction-cup options, but they'd have to go on the windows.

Roof simply isn't an option for this car. Now, trailer hitch is doable, I've done it in the past (same model, different car) for bike racks, but obviously a kayak is long enough it'd need a proper trailer. Logistically problematic (but possible)

Here's what I am curious about trying, unless there's a good reason not to. Two steel L-arms extending from, let's say the lifting points of the frame, out the side & up on either end of the passenger door, several inches from the body panels. U-brackets would support the yak which is lashed to the outboard of the arms. Like a bike hitch, I expect there'd be some measure of play, but so long as the kayak is tied securely to each mount it should be sufficiently solid, and extend about 2ft wider.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

Best option then is a Malone trailer, offered set up for one to four kayaks.
or maybe you have a good excuse now to pick up an old pick up

as far as a headache rack built from the subframe of your auto, that's probably enough steel to overload your suspension, and by the time you engineer and build it, the trailer is a better trade-off of cost and function.
Steeltoe

Post by Steeltoe »

https://texas.public.law/statutes/tex._ ... on_547.382

Found it; it appears side loads of any size require the same flagging as loads that hang more than 4ft, so flags at front & rear of the yak when it's mounted.

I'm thinking two of these, but with J bars;

I don't know why it'd require ridiculous levels of reinforcement; mostly I'd lose some more precious ground clearance (but trailers/hidden hitch setups do that anyway)
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

To go as tall as you would need, over the car, you'd probably also need a full-length bar connecting the top front to back - otherwise, bending moment on the tall mast resulting from drag of the boat might be enough to deflect the mast or set up a buffeting vibration.
But I get now you're planning to cantilever along the side of the car...
Looking forward to progress.
yangjianhunt

Post by yangjianhunt »

I still think carrying on the roof top is the way to go, with either thule racks or soft foam kayak loaders.

To avoid damaging the paint, I was thinking you could apply vinyl wrap or vinyl decal kind of material on the top, or just strips of that material where kayak or rack would be in contact.

These vinyl material could be easily peeled off if later on you don't need them - you could apply maybe a couple layers - there must be clear colored ones available so it doesn't looks too odd.
Steeltoe

Post by Steeltoe »

Clear bra material as a buffer isn't a bad idea...

Probably still not my best option; the Challenger already has structural issues up there (the roof skin is flimsy, and surrounded by very stiff members, so it does all the flexing when the body twists) and I have a sunroof as well. But I'll do some more research & see if anyone's done this successfully.

ETA: I don't even like polishing wax up there since the metal is so flexible, lol