Rigging of the original Scupper kayak for BTB fishing

yangjianhunt

Rigging of the original Scupper kayak for BTB fishing

Post by yangjianhunt »

Pre-rigging:
bare bone kayak. It comes with a seat but I think I'll use the kayak without it.
I bought this yak about a month ago from craigslist for 200$ which I think is an awesome deal.
Based on its hull identification number (HIN), it's made in 1987 and it's the first production year of the Scupper kayak.
This is the original scupper with only 2 scupper holes, no cup holder, double hatches.
It's 14'1'' long, 26'' wide, weighs about 48lbs.
The plastic is a bit flexible - not sure if it's due to the thinner hull or the plastic is actually a slightly different version of HDPE.

Test paddle: It is as stable as my 28 inch wide hobie pursuit. I can easily scoot up & down to access front hatch, or turn around and access rear hatch.

For BTB surf launching or landing : I want to be able to handle 3 foot breakers and the possibility of flipping. So when exiting or entering surf zone rods will be bungeed behind seat; reels will be stored in the front hatch in a dry bag; Gaff will be bungeed as well.

Fish bag and lure boxes will be stored in front hatch. Food, water, safety equipment etc will be in the rear hatch.

Also made a DIY foot rest from cutting board (painted black): the molded foot rest on this kayak doesn't work as it's too shallow and provide no grip. The foot rest is mounted on yakattack G175 track - hopefully it can stand the force as I use a lot leg power when paddling.
I may change to a standard foot peg later on b/c I think it'll be more convenient to have a more open foot well area to handle landing fish.

Once passing the surf zone, rods will be set up for trolling: PVC extension for flush mount rod holders.

Paddle holder with bungee loops for keeping gaff during fishing session

I'll add some more tracks at bow and stern for attaching gopro cameras.
Right now I purchased the scotty 135 for bow angle and Brocraft camera (amazon) mount for stern angle. I also have an action hat for POV angle. Most likely I'll be just using one camera. My thinking is that I'll film with stern angle for surf launching and bow for landing.
Bow angle for catching the exciting moments of fish striking and rod bending during trolling. To me these are the money shots of BTB kayak fishing.
I still need to find a way to do quick switch from bow angle to POV as attaching the camera to the action hat is cumbersome. I may eventually need 2 cameras.
Last edited by yangjianhunt on Sun Jun 02, 2019 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yangjianhunt

Re: Rigging of the original Scupper kayak for BTB fishing

Post by yangjianhunt »

The rods of course will be leashed during fishing

I use the same type of leash for my paddle and rods. I tried several types and like these the most.
Ron Mc
TKF 5000 Club
TKF 5000 Club

Post by Ron Mc »

good job and nice photos - thanks for posting
Getz-Some55

Post by Getz-Some55 »

Thanks for sharing. Always nice to see older kayaks to be revamped/restored to new glory.